Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any one know a way to check the ECU firmware version.
What the latest version is on a '17 AT manual?
How to get the latest version, if there is one?
Thanks
Jan...

·
Registered
212 Posts
Honda does not provide firmware upgrades (re-flash) to the ECU. Reading Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC's) are all you will get from them. With todays emission standards, Honda and the government make it difficult to tinker. ECU re-flashing is left to the hackers and there are plenty of them. Note that the reputable ones will always display a caveat "competition use only" because modifying the firmware breaks emission laws.
Unless one is racing, my feeling is if one wants more power just buy a more powerful bike. Honda engineers have worked hard to make the AT engine characeristics well suited to the intended purpose of the bike and still meet emisions and noise standards. Best to leave it alone.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Honda does not provide firmware upgrades (re-flash) to the ECU. Reading Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC's) are all you will get from them. With todays emission standards, Honda and the government make it difficult to tinker. ECU re-flashing is left to the hackers and there are plenty of them. Note that the reputable ones will always display a caveat "competition use only" because modifying the firmware breaks emission laws.
Unless one is racing, my feeling is if one wants more power just buy a more powerful bike. Honda engineers have worked hard to make the AT engine characeristics well suited to the intended purpose of the bike and still meet emisions and noise standards. Best to leave it alone.
Not trying to 'hack' it, wondering if THE FACTORY has provided upgrades/fixes. I have a Triumph and they do --- often... Had a BMW F700GS and they did occasionally. I'd ask the local dealer but they usually are clueless about such things...

·
Registered
212 Posts
Not trying to 'hack' it, wondering if THE FACTORY has provided upgrades/fixes. I have a Triumph and they do --- often... Had a BMW F700GS and they did occasionally. I'd ask the local dealer but they usually are clueless about such things...
The only way you would get a firmware upgrade from honda is to buy a new ECM that had a revised firmware but since Honda does not provide documentation of any revisions, it would be total pot luck as to what was changed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts