ECU update..

29K views 29 replies 9 participants last post by  ausworkshopsupplies 
#1 ·

Attachments

See less See more
Reactions: Sled and Hood
#2 · (Edited)
#4 · (Edited)
A OBD2 reader, it is in the link above the cable. IF you get one make SURE it will sync with the device you install the app on,
Android or IOS some will also work with either..
also a OBD2 app
The pics are a Screen shot form a Free app on my iPad

also came across this: OBD2 fault code scanner diagnostic tool for Honda Motorcycle 4 pin cable harness | eBay
Not sure how well it works, but that one is JUST for Honda MC, the other one can be used on most other cars & trucks

#6 ·
The red plug under your seat, but you need an adapter to plug it into a normal OBD2 scanner. (Links in 2nd post).

Reactions: Sled
#8 ·
Seen that too, and wondered how well it works and how it handles the fault codes... there are a few other scanners that will read and reset the codes you just need the adapter plug. But with those you won’t get the actual fault just the fault code. So it will say fault detected and give you fault “O$500A” and not something like, “ O2 sensor low voltage “

Reactions: DoubleThumper
#12 ·
Using the said cable, a 16-pin male OBD2 Bluetooth wireless adapter, will it successfully connect up with the "Torque" app on Android?
Yes.. BUT!!! not all Wi-Fi/Bluetooth scanners have the proper format installed to connect and read from the AT’s ECU. Also you need to watch, some will only work with android and some with IOS and there are some that will work with both.

Reactions: Sled
#15 ·
Just bought this adapter:

I have a cheap chinese OBD2 bluetooth, I will try it and give some feedback

Consulting the pinout, the AT uses the ISO9141 K-line (7th pin on the obd2) the other 2 are +12v and ground, the last one is another ground and is not used in most cable adapters.

#18 · (Edited)
I received this today from China. Surprisingly, it only took three weeks, considering the state of the world ...

Using the Honda-to-OBD2 cable with a generic Bluetooth wireless adapter (the blue dongle in the image), the Torque Pro app for Android, it actually works.

I gotta give extra thanks to Forum member @AT-Dragon for providing insight to help making this happen successfully.

For clarity, I was able to glean the following real-time data:

• Revs (x1000 RPM)
  • Throttle (position in %)
  • Coolant (temperature in degrees C)
  • Vacuum (in/Hg)

I did not take for a ride yet, so acceleration and speed were not monitored. Maybe acceleration is actually taken from the mobile phone's IMU.

I had no fault codes.

In any case, a good start.

#19 ·
I received this today from China. Surprisingly, it only took three weeks, considering the state of the world ...

View attachment 55392

Using the Honda-to-OBD2 cable with a generic Bluetooth wireless adapter (the blue dongle in the image), the Torque Pro app for Android, it actually works.

I gotta give extra thanks to Forum member @AT-Dragon for providing insight to help making this happen successfully.

For clarity, I was able to glean the following real-time data:

• Revs (x1000 RPM)
  • Throttle (position in %)
  • Coolant (temperature in degrees C)
  • Vacuum (in/Hg)
I did not take for a ride yet, so acceleration and speed were not monitored. Maybe acceleration is actually taken from the mobile phone's IMU.

I had no fault codes.

In any case, a good start.
Yea the drawbacks I seen was, the adapter harness acted as a bypass too, so my dummy light on the dash was constantly blinking when everything was plugged in (and of course the bike was on). It should read (and erase) the error codes; unfortunately the error codes will be just a code and not actually tell you the issue, it would need to be looked up. Also it will check the O2 sensor..
My original thought was it would be kinda sweet to also have the digital telemetry up (like the things available on Torque), but that blinking like on my dash would drive me nuts...

#21 ·
Good to know, I think my light on my dash only blinked with the key on and the OBDII reader unplugged(?) but the adapter cable plugged in..

#22 ·
Hey guys...
I am trying to read some error codes on my CRF1000 2016, but no luck. I've purchased 2 cheap scanners already, also adapter cable 4pin to 16pin, I am using Torque pro version, but no luck. One scanner is BT, other is WIFI, Torque says it's successfully connected to scanner, but not connected to ECU. I've tried with phone restart, app restart, ignition ON/OFF/ON... Any idea what else to try?

I've checked adapter, pins are:
Rectangle Font Material property Technology Bag

Support on VEEPEAK says it's no way to connect AT to any BT reader.
Memory card Rectangle Gadget Material property Electric blue

Finger Gadget Nail Electronic component Thumb

#25 ·
Yep, I’ll have to find where I put it, also don’t forget, some apps will just give you a alphanumeric code and NOT a reading of the issue. So instead of telling you it’s say a O2 sensor it will say P00009 fault.
I have yet to find a good source to look these faults up (but then I’ve not looked to hard either).

BTW it’s not the app’s fault it’s the reader, there are a few firmware languages , so if your reader doesn’t have the correct one it’s like someone speaking Norwegian to someone who only speaks Japanese over the phone.

BTW just went to the page it was the
ELM327 WIFI
It works pretty good I usually keep it in my Hummer H2 cause it’s nice and small also works on the womens Traverse

#26 ·
This is no help but I have a question, if you don't mind. Why are you going through the process when the bike tells you what the error is, all you have to do is look it up.

How to connect the MCS
Turn the ignition switch OFF.
Remove the dummy connector from the DLC (page 4-6).
Connect the MCS to the DLC.
Turn the ignition switch ON and engine stop switch " " check the DTC and freeze data.
• Freeze data indicates the engine conditions when the first malfunction was detected.
DTC READOUT
Start the engine and check the MIL.
When the ignition switch is turned ON and engine stop switch " ", the MIL will stay on for a few seconds, then go off.
If the MIL stays on or blinks, connect the MCS to the DLC (page 4-6).
Read the DTC, freeze data and follow the troubleshooting index
(page 4-9).
To read the DTC with the MIL blinking, refer to the following procedure.
Reading DTC with the MIL
Turn the ignition switch OFF.
Remove the main seat (page 2-4).
Remove the dummy connector [1] from the DLC.
Short the DLC terminals using a special tool.
Turn the ignition switch ON and engine stop switch " ", read, note the MIL
blinks and refer to the DTC index (page 4-9).
• If the ECM/PCM has any DTC in its memory, the MIL will start blinking.
ERASING STORED DTC
• The stored DTC can not be erased by simply disconnecting the battery negative (–) cable.
Erase the DTC with the MCS while the engine is stopped.

#30 ·
You need a scanner that read K-Line protocol or KWP protocol. It is not can bus. You do not need the ebay connector you can just jump the wires from the DLC to the appropiate pins on your scanner i.e. power, earth and pin 7 (k-line) on the DLC. In OBD2 mode it should read most sensor outputs and you should also be able to clear fault codes from OBD2 mode. To get factory DTC codes follow the manual as to how to retrieve them from the blink patterns; however, if you do not have the MIL on then you have no DTCs. Mick

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.