Super Moderator
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Update: Did find a cheap OBD2 reader that worked with no issues. It will connect, read and clear codes and provide some live data. $7.89

The adapter plug: Diagnostic 4 Pin OBD2 Cable Harness for Honda CBR 1000R, CBR 600R, VFR 800 etc. | eBay

·
Super Moderator
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
This looks awesome. I'm not 100% clear on everything involved. I see the link to some sort of OBD2 converter cable, what else is required? What are you using to display?
A OBD2 reader, it is in the link above the cable. IF you get one make SURE it will sync with the device you install the app on,
Android or IOS some will also work with either..
also a OBD2 app
The pics are a Screen shot form a Free app on my iPad

also came across this: OBD2 fault code scanner diagnostic tool for Honda Motorcycle 4 pin cable harness | eBay
Not sure how well it works, but that one is JUST for Honda MC, the other one can be used on most other cars & trucks

·
Super Moderator
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Where is the OBD2 interface connector located on the AT?
The red plug under your seat, but you need an adapter to plug it into a normal OBD2 scanner. (Links in 2nd post).

·
Super Moderator
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Seen that too, and wondered how well it works and how it handles the fault codes... there are a few other scanners that will read and reset the codes you just need the adapter plug. But with those you won’t get the actual fault just the fault code. So it will say fault detected and give you fault “O$500A” and not something like, “ O2 sensor low voltage “

·
Registered
377 Posts
Seen that too, and wondered how well it works and how it handles the fault codes... there are a few other scanners that will read and reset the codes you just need the adapter plug. But with those you won’t get the actual fault just the fault code. So it will say fault detected and give you fault “O$500A” and not something like, “ O2 sensor low voltage “
ΑΤ-Dragon I have read your post about the combo you set-up but I miss (or do not fully understand) the following:

you purchased the OBD scanner and the cable adaptor for Honda plug, this is clear. On what device do you get the data? PC, tablet or mobile phone? Is there an application coming with the scanner? if not, which do you use. Does the scanner works with Android?

Sorry If I am asking you to repeat info you already gave ....

Since you have successfully tested your set-up, I see no reason to look else...thinking to do the same as you did.

·
Super Moderator
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ΑΤ-Dragon I have read your post about the combo you set-up but I miss (or do not fully understand) the following:

you purchased the OBD scanner and the cable adaptor for Honda plug, this is clear. On what device do you get the data? PC, tablet or mobile phone? Is there an application coming with the scanner? if not, which do you use. Does the scanner works with Android?

Sorry If I am asking you to repeat info you already gave ....
With the plug and that cheap scanner I got, it uses an app on your phone or tablet. They have “Wifi “ and “Bluetooth “ scanners. But beware of these scanners some of them might not have the right format installed to read and connect to the AT’s ECU. Also you need to watch the scanners too, some will only work with android and some with IOS and there are some that will work with both.
I also have a hand held automotive scan tool that works with it. That has its own screen.

·
Super Moderator
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Using the said cable, a 16-pin male OBD2 Bluetooth wireless adapter, will it successfully connect up with the "Torque" app on Android?
Yes.. BUT!!! not all Wi-Fi/Bluetooth scanners have the proper format installed to connect and read from the AT’s ECU. Also you need to watch, some will only work with android and some with IOS and there are some that will work with both.

·
Super Moderator
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well that kinda sucks. ?

So much for [basic] universal OBD* diagnostic "standards".
It’s a connection thing, the format is standard but connecting to and telling the ECU to give that info is not, well it is kinda standardized in there are not a whole lot of them but some are I guess less used than others so I think some manufacturers just don‘t put them on. Probably to avoid licensing fees(?)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just bought this adapter:

I have a cheap chinese OBD2 bluetooth, I will try it and give some feedback

Consulting the pinout, the AT uses the ISO9141 K-line (7th pin on the obd2) the other 2 are +12v and ground, the last one is another ground and is not used in most cable adapters.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts

Consulting the pinout, the AT uses the ISO9141 K-line (7th pin on the obd2) the other 2 are +12v and ground, the last one is another ground and is not used in most cable adapters.
(y) great.

·
Super Moderator
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)

Seems to be hit or miss. Either the reader has the right format to communicate with the ECU or it doesn’t..
BTW
When you plug that adapter in the dash will also blink any trouble codes.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I received this today from China. Surprisingly, it only took three weeks, considering the state of the world ...

Using the Honda-to-OBD2 cable with a generic Bluetooth wireless adapter (the blue dongle in the image), the Torque Pro app for Android, it actually works.

I gotta give extra thanks to Forum member @AT-Dragon for providing insight to help making this happen successfully.

For clarity, I was able to glean the following real-time data:

• Revs (x1000 RPM)
  • Throttle (position in %)
  • Coolant (temperature in degrees C)
  • Vacuum (in/Hg)
I did not take for a ride yet, so acceleration and speed were not monitored. Maybe acceleration is actually taken from the mobile phone's IMU.

I had no fault codes.

In any case, a good start.

·
Super Moderator
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I received this today from China. Surprisingly, it only took three weeks, considering the state of the world ...

View attachment 55392

Using the Honda-to-OBD2 cable with a generic Bluetooth wireless adapter (the blue dongle in the image), the Torque Pro app for Android, it actually works.

I gotta give extra thanks to Forum member @AT-Dragon for providing insight to help making this happen successfully.

For clarity, I was able to glean the following real-time data:

• Revs (x1000 RPM)
  • Throttle (position in %)
  • Coolant (temperature in degrees C)
  • Vacuum (in/Hg)
I did not take for a ride yet, so acceleration and speed were not monitored. Maybe acceleration is actually taken from the mobile phone's IMU.

I had no fault codes.

In any case, a good start.
Yea the drawbacks I seen was, the adapter harness acted as a bypass too, so my dummy light on the dash was constantly blinking when everything was plugged in (and of course the bike was on). It should read (and erase) the error codes; unfortunately the error codes will be just a code and not actually tell you the issue, it would need to be looked up. Also it will check the O2 sensor..
My original thought was it would be kinda sweet to also have the digital telemetry up (like the things available on Torque), but that blinking like on my dash would drive me nuts...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts