Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am shopping around and finding several really great-priced 2016 Africa Twins. Is there anything that I need to shy away from in the 2016? Known issues, mechanical or electrical?

I am looking at 2018+ also but I'm not against buying a used bike if the price is right.

**Edit: I went back to the dealer that I originally visited to get the first AT I test-rode and got a great deal. I knew that the bike had been there since at least October and made an offer, they came back with their price and I brought it home yesterday! I honestly would have paid them their asking price, but my wife likes to bargain, so I made her happy by trying.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Mostly rust issues, rims, spokes in some cases frame. I think in 2018 spokes went from poor quality nickle plating to stainless. Many 2016 have had their wheels replaced and some had them replaced more than once. With that said, not all Africa Twins are the same. If you find one with 10-15000km or more from that year that doesn't show signs of rust, chances are its a good one (or parts have been replaced with new ones). Even some 2018 models may have rust issues, but a lot of it seems to have been addressed. Just inspect the bike carefully before you buy (as with any used bike).

Other things that sometimes seem to fail prematurely (if the bike looks like it was used offroad a lot, these parts will more likely be need to be replaced):
- Wheel bearings
- Fork seals

The engine is pretty solid, but be aware of the valve check (@ 16000miles / 25600km) which can be quite expensive (like 8 hours of labor). It can cost you anywhere from 500 to 800$ at the dealer.

I've had a 2017 and now have a 2019 (bought both new from the dealer at 2000$ under asking price mid-season), and both have been great bikes and I've had no issues so far.
https://youtu.be/VVckQoJIUfo

·
Registered
225 Posts
Had a leftover 2016, had all these issues :

- Set switch failure 2x
- Spokes corrosion
- Rear bearings failure 2x
- Screws rusting (live in Switzerland not sea level)

Above all these visual and material issues, I had one of the worst luck with following issues :

- Engine cold start problems
- Engine turning off sometimes for no reason
- Gearbox getting stuck in neutral between 5th and 6th

These latter problems developped after around 30'000 Km, nothing wrong was found from dealership, so it was a nightmare. honestly if I were you I wouldn't gamble so much on a 2016 model, rather get leftover 2018, which were more reliable.

·
Registered
787 Posts
2016...first of the first.

Both switch clusters replaced under warranty.

And that’s it. No rust, no failures to date although I’ve only just under 20k miles.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I've seen one with 200000km+ on it (most likely a 2016), but yeah if you can it's always better to avoid the 1-2 first years of production. Considering what the 2018 are selling for, I'd probably go with that. I think in 2018 they also changed the air intake and exhaust a bit.

·
Registered
261 Posts
As others have said...The main issues that I had were all found to be linked to the switch clusters.
This included dct fault and Headlight problem, once the switches were replaced it was all fine.
Except for the dodgy spoke issues which is well documented.

Ive owned 2016, 2017 and now a 2020(19) model.
You'll save a. bundle on the 2016 model.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Fork seals were not up to the task and failed.
Other than that I haven't had a single issue with mine - rock solid! 50,000 kilometers.

·
Registered
12 Posts
2017 Manual 18K miles, 0 issues. I use neoprene fork seal protectors and my spokes are always covered in dirt and grime so I really don't know if they are corroded. I skipped the 16k mile valve check as most people who have done it have only had to maybe adjust a slightly out of spec or near spec exhaust rocker. Mine runs like a top and I love it more every ride.

·
Registered
109 Posts
2017 Manual 18K miles, 0 issues. I use neoprene fork seal protectors and my spokes are always covered in dirt and grime so I really don't know if they are corroded. I skipped the 16k mile valve check as most people who have done it have only had to maybe adjust a slightly out of spec or near spec exhaust rocker. Mine runs like a top and I love it more every ride.
Same here, 2017 manual tricolor 40K miles, no issues to talk about, and I have subjected it to serious abuse off road. I checked the valves only at 29K miles and found them all within spec, have written elsewhere about it.

One issue with the 2016-17 bikes is that the aluminium bracket that holds the right peg can break if one falls to the right off road. Camel Adventures do a reinforcement support which is a must for those who take their bike seriously off road. This issue has been addressed in the 2018 and later bikes.

·
Super Moderator
1,461 Posts
I am shopping around and finding several really great-priced 2016 Africa Twins. Is there anything that I need to shy away from in the 2016? Known issues, mechanical or electrical?

I am looking at 2018+ also but I'm not against buying a used bike if the price is right.
I had 2016 that I eventually traded in on a 2019 ATAS because I wanted the larger tank and like the higher seat primarily. But I put about 28K trouble-free miles on the 2016 before I traded it. Now the 2019, on the other hand, has had the tank issue and they cleaned the tank, replaced the fuel pump and the injectors. Time will tell on that :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Same here, 2017 manual tricolor 40K miles, no issues to talk about, and I have subjected it to serious abuse off road. I checked the valves only at 29K miles and found them all within spec, have written elsewhere about it.

One issue with the 2016-17 bikes is that the aluminium bracket that holds the right peg can break if one falls to the right off road. Camel Adventures do a reinforcement support which is a must for those who take their bike seriously off road. This issue has been addressed in the 2018 and later bikes.
Same here. I did the camel peg brace and windscreen brace, full altrider crash protection and oxford heated grips. Pivot pegs and SW motech luggage. Wouldn't change a thing now. Had 2'' rox risers on for about 6k miles but went back to stock.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm the proudly owner of an AT '16, in Mexico, so far, 25,000 kms it's a DCT model, no problems at all. I'm very happy with my AT.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Only issue I've had is the cold start. Bothered me at first but holding the throttle a touch open to bounce it on isn't that hard. Dropped to 86octane too per factory recommendation. Cheaper gas recommended feels like a win to me.

Love my bike though - hope you don't regret your decision either way!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts