Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
It's heavier than the KLRs that I have owned in the past, obviously. Riding it around feels like a lighter bike, but trying to put it on the centerstand (just for practice) is kind of an ordeal. I'm sure I'll figure out the trick to it.

I rode around for about 30 minutes and now I'm back home waiting for my wife to get ready so we can go back out for a spin.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have 2017 bike in same livery - have had zero problems. The front end was too soft for me (plus stiction) so I went with progressive springs - that is it (and is of course optional).

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
It's heavier than the KLRs that I have owned in the past, obviously. Riding it around feels like a lighter bike, but trying to put it on the centerstand (just for practice) is kind of an ordeal. I'm sure I'll figure out the trick to it.

I rode around for about 30 minutes and now I'm back home waiting for my wife to get ready so we can go back out for a spin.
I had the same problem with the centrestand. I can't believe that I was doing it wrong when I was sure I was doing what people told me, but just the other day when I was easily flipping it up, reminded me that I had been FAILING to put enough downward pressure on the foot lever attached to the stand, and instead I had been trying to lift the back of the bike with the passenger footpeg. Once I trained my brain to really press with the foot I needed only a light lifting and guiding force with my hand.
Mike

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I had the same problem with the centrestand. I can't believe that I was doing it wrong when I was sure I was doing what people told me, but just the other day when I was easily flipping it up, reminded me that I had been FAILING to put enough downward pressure on the foot lever attached to the stand, and instead I had been trying to lift the back of the bike with the passenger footpeg. Once I trained my brain to really press with the foot I needed only a light lifting and guiding force with my hand.
Mike
Thanks Mike, I'll be sure to mind how much pressure I'm exerting on the foot.

·
Super Moderator
1,078 Posts
Heh, heh, ... if I angled my bike away from me, it would end up napping. :oops:
Just ever so slightly. As you put the center stand down, the left-hand side foot will make contact first. Angle the bike slightly away from you until you feel the second (right) one makes contact as well. Rock it a little to make sure they are both making solid contact and pop it on up :)

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Just ever so slightly. As you put the center stand down, the left-hand side foot will make contact first. Angle the bike slightly away from you until you feel the second (right) one makes contact as well. Rock it a little to make sure they are both making solid contact and pop it on up :)
Ah, I see what you mean. Yes, that is what I do. That is the voodoo. Good mention Cuch.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Just got my 2019 ATAS delivered yesterday. I make sure to place my full weight on the pedal on the centre stand. I found the Twin easier to put on the center stand than my 650 V-Strom. Good thing too since this is the tallest and heaviest bike I have ever owned.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Just got my 2019 ATAS delivered yesterday. I make sure to place my full weight on the pedal on the centre stand. I found the Twin easier to put on the center stand than my 650 V-Strom. Good thing too since this is the tallest and heaviest bike I have ever owned.
Excellent Bill. Congratulations and may there be much riding joy!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I'm happy to report that everywhere I stopped today the bike has been on the centerstand. Just because I could.

Thanks all. I realized I wasn't making sure both "feet" were on the ground before pushing down.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Mostly rust issues, rims, spokes in some cases frame. I think in 2018 spokes went from poor quality nickle plating to stainless. Many 2016 have had their wheels replaced and some had them replaced more than once. With that said, not all Africa Twins are the same. If you find one with 10-15000km or more from that year that doesn't show signs of rust, chances are its a good one (or parts have been replaced with new ones). Even some 2018 models may have rust issues, but a lot of it seems to have been addressed. Just inspect the bike carefully before you buy (as with any used bike).

Other things that sometimes seem to fail prematurely (if the bike looks like it was used offroad a lot, these parts will more likely be need to be replaced):
  • Wheel bearings
  • Fork seals

The engine is pretty solid, but be aware of the valve check (@ 16000miles / 25600km) which can be quite expensive (like 8 hours of labor). It can cost you anywhere from 500 to 800$ at the dealer.

I've had a 2017 and now have a 2019 (bought both new from the dealer at 2000$ under asking price mid-season), and both have been great bikes and I've had no issues so far.
I have 2017 bike in same livery - have had zero problems. The front end was too soft for me (plus stiction) so I went with progressive springs - that is it (and is of course optional).
how did you notice stiction?

21 - 39 of 39 Posts