Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'day all, my Africa Twin is getting pre delivered this week and I'm hoping to pick it up next week.

I was considering some OEM replacement headers to remove the cat but I'm not willing to change any exhaust or intake components until I know if there are any reliable remapping options, since most new bikes run on the border of too lean for emissions control and any increase in airflow can cause a bike to run excessively lean.

I know that excessively lean running can cause overheating and engine damage something I don't want on a new bike. Any help will be appreciated,

Regards,
Nusk

·
Registered
743 Posts
Dealer told me one impact or Euro-4 emissions standards was that aftermarket exhaust manufacturers were prohibited from making header pipes to eliminate the cat.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Arrow definitely make a cat free header. Also I'm in Australia so can legally remove cat.

Reactions: Denburger

·
Registered
36 Posts
I had one of these on my WR250R that worked great. I believe it was FMF branded, but the same concept, if not the same electronics underneath. I bought the WR used with this already installed (unbeknownst to me, nice surprise) and when I fitted a new can and modified the intake, it handled the task. The only limitation I remember from these is that they can only add fuel, they lack the ability to go any leaner than stock. Pretty sure I got the link to this from a post on here somewhere.

http://www.electronicjetkit.com/DirtBike/viewproduct.asp?partnumber=8120173

Actually upon further research, this is a gen 3.5 unit which does have the ability to go leaner than stock. Just FYI

·
Registered
415 Posts
Dealer told me one impact or Euro-4 emissions standards was that aftermarket exhaust manufacturers were prohibited from making header pipes to eliminate the cat.
I would have to ask the question about where you think that might apply? Most exhausts for the AT are made in Europe and there are lots of CAT free options. But there are even lots of CAT free pipes sold in the US for other bikes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts