Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, the AT I bought came equipped with an Electronic Jet Kit installed. I'm going to do some seat-of-the-pants engineering as I try to tune this thing. I'll try to characterize what it's doing first, then dial it in to a long-term setting.

Here's a question for the forum: has anyone already installed a fuel manager like this? Can you give the rest of us some feedback on the performance situation?

More soon.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Hey folks, the AT I bought came equipped with an Electronic Jet Kit installed. I'm going to do some seat-of-the-pants engineering as I try to tune this thing. I'll try to characterize what it's doing first, then dial it in to a long-term setting.

Here's a question for the forum: has anyone already installed a fuel manager like this? Can you give the rest of us some feedback on the performance situation?

More soon.
I have not seen one but it does look interesting, I am assuming that it plugs into the injectors and either shortens or lengthens the injection cycle. Not sure how you tune that without a dyno session and or a wideband 02 sensor for your spacific bike config unless its stock or they have a setting for your config. I see why they call it a jet kit though its going back to playing with main jets and needle profiles in electronic form. When I had engines that had carbs(with main jets and needles) I still would run an EGT probe and a head temp gauge while playing with those combos and you still needed a guy with a stop watch to tell you what direction you where going performance wise. Keep us posted, its a simple solution to a lean engine (add some more fuel). On the PCV map there are a number of areas that the map is removing fuel and a number where its adding fuel in my configuration (different headers that are CAT free and pre-filters). That was measured by replacing the stock O2 sensor with a wide band unit and aiming for a slightly righer AFR than the stock bike. You can buy AFR sensors that would indicate what the AFR is while you ride and you could tune it that way.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I have not seen one but it does look interesting, I am assuming that it plugs into the injectors and either shortens or lengthens the injection cycle. Not sure how you tune that without a dyno session and or a wideband 02 sensor for your spacific bike config unless its stock or they have a setting for your config. I see why they call it a jet kit though its going back to playing with main jets and needle profiles in electronic form. When I had engines that had carbs(with main jets and needles) I still would run an EGT probe and a head temp gauge while playing with those combos and you still needed a guy with a stop watch to tell you what direction you where going performance wise. Keep us posted, its a simple solution to a lean engine (add some more fuel). On the PCV map there are a number of areas that the map is removing fuel and a number where its adding fuel in my configuration (different headers that are CAT free and pre-filters). That was measured by replacing the stock O2 sensor with a wide band unit and aiming for a slightly righer AFR than the stock bike. You can buy AFR sensors that would indicate what the AFR is while you ride and you could tune it that way.
Hey Skip. You are correct. The kit recommends AT-specific settings so I imagine its maps come pre-configured and are designed to support this type of MC. Other products may support more than one type. I also assume the resulting fuel-air (F/A) ratios across much of the scale are not troublesome for the motor but I plan to stay away from the edges until I'm smarter about where it's taking me. And, yes. It rides on top of the injectors and increases/decreases the fuel pulse as the maps & my settings dictate.

Here's the AT-specific page:

I'm currently operating at Stage 1 because that's how the bike came to me with its aftermarket MIVV exhaust. Today my broad-spectrum gas mileage is 40.8 mpg. I will probably also run a couple of tankfuls on the 0% change settings just to get an idea of what the long-term impact is. If I can get a mpg or two (2.5% - 5%) back by returning to baseline, that could be useful information in gas-crunched situations.

Yours are all all good ideas above. I'm noodling a plan to use a calibrated video (Go-Pro HERO 8) and an in-view clock (iPhone stopwatch/ accelerometer) while I run through accels from dead stop and other entry speeds. Then I'll use the videos and accels to gauge partial & open throttle performance. The kit has an O2 sensor but I have no idea how it manages F/A internally. And I have no EGT probe although I could wire up something on the header. The thermal lag would be a real source of confusion though. I'll have to think about that one a bit.

Anyway, I hope I'll see you back here as I start to post some data. You can help me noodle through some of it.

·
Super Moderator
3,079 Posts

Yours are all all good ideas above. I'm noodling a plan to use a calibrated video (Go-Pro HERO 8) and an in-view clock (iPhone stopwatch/ accelerometer) while I run through accels from dead stop and other entry speeds. Then I'll use the videos and accels to gauge partial & open throttle performance. The kit has an O2 sensor but I have no idea how it manages F/A internally. ...
Not sure if this would help: Using this:

and the said Torque Pro mobile app, you may be able to log, download into a spreadsheet, and correlate data between speed, time, acceleration, throttle open %, and other available lower-level parameters that might appear useful. On perspective could be syncing to initial speed. Maybe another to engine RPM. Anyway, the entry point to this is a pretty low bar.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the solid, DT - I'll look it over.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts