Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anyone out there with the 1100 AdvSports ES? I'm wondering if anyone has had a real chance to test out the new electronic suspension, and if you had any thoughts on its value.

Cheers!

·
Super Moderator
1,713 Posts
Kinda wondering that myself, seems like a great idea and that it would be nice to have.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kinda wondering that myself, seems like a great idea and that it would be nice to have.
"Nice to have" is what I'm suspecting, but I have no experience with similar systems. Even if it just means you can soften or strengthen the suspension a little bit if you know you're about to get off the tarmac, it'll still be pretty neat. All reviews sound like even the base model's suspension is pretty great, so it's not a deal-breaker by any means. I'm just looking forward to trying it out.

·
Super Moderator
1,713 Posts
"Nice to have" is what I'm suspecting, but I have no experience with similar systems. Even if it just means you can soften or strengthen the suspension a little bit if you know you're about to get off the tarmac, it'll still be pretty neat. All reviews sound like even the base model's suspension is pretty great, so it's not a deal-breaker by any means. I'm just looking forward to trying it out.
I’d think that it would definitely come in handy when riding 2up

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have done 1100 miles with the ES. Is it good? Yes. Is it worth the cost? Hmmm. I have a CRF1000 as well and the suspension is so good that the ES is not a massive step up. The ES is no more plush than the standard suspension. The main benefit is switching from soft to stiff at the touch of a button. I would say it is a nice to have but not lose any sleep if I didnt want to pay for it.

·
Super Moderator
1,713 Posts
I have done 1100 miles with the ES. Is it good? Yes. Is it worth the cost? Hmmm. I have a CRF1000 as well and the suspension is so good that the ES is not a massive step up. The ES is no more plush than the standard suspension. The main benefit is switching from soft to stiff at the touch of a button. I would say it is a nice to have but not lose any sleep if I didnt want to pay for it.
So a nice luxury ( touring ) item, a item of convenience if you will, sounds like something I just have to have now.

Reactions: GR8ESC

·
Registered
169 Posts
Ive got it and it’s worth every penny imho, its can be setup differently for each mode and you can fine tune it individually In the settings menu to however you like. You can also stiffen up the front end if you want to minimise fork dive. It’s very comfortable on the soft setting and handle very well indeed on medium and hard. It’s also constantly micro adjusting whilst riding.

Just a note to anyone who has a test ride on an ES model, make sure no one has manually changed all the settings and made it handle or ride poorly.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I was curious about the Bosch Inertial Measurement Unit and it's ability to detect and mitigate front end dive.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
The IMU is probably just fine. It's what the application does (e.g. Honda) with the raw data that is important, unless there is a separate Bosch subsystem to do all the hard lifting.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Interesting. I have a crf1000 whose suspension I think is brilliant just left on factory settings, but I like 'compliant' So I was surprised when I test road the 1100 es model and dialled in the softest possible settings and it seemed to me it was still harsher than my CRF1000.
Mike

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, being in the US, I can only get the Adventure Sports with ES, so I'll be getting it anyway. I was just seeing what folks thought about it as a feature.

·
Super Moderator
1,713 Posts
Well, being in the US, I can only get the Adventure Sports with ES, so I'll be getting it anyway. I was just seeing what folks thought about it as a feature.
Well I would say it would make me personally more likely to pay attention and mess with it more then my current attitude of set it and forget it...

Reactions: GR8ESC

·
Registered
15 Posts
I like it. I’ve ridden both but only after buying mine with ES.
i found the non ES lovely to ride, nice and firm for when you want to press on, but I just like being able to notch it softer when you just want to soak up the miles or if it’s wet.

·
Registered
111 Posts
No doubt I will love it and use it since my wife loves to ride with me when possible. My only concern is reliability and repair costs.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I had ohlins electronic suspension on my old Multistrada. I personally don’t see a lot of value in it. In the 9 years I owned that bike I changed rider modes once and never spent a second of time trying to adjust the suspension to dial it in. I left that bike in sport mode which had the sportiest suspension settings and max power all the time. If my new bike came with it then so be it bit personally not a feature I would seek out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
169 Posts
Having recently ridden both my ATAS 1100 ES and a GSA1250 TE (brothers bike) for about 3 hours on all types of UK roads (we have some truly awful road surfaces), I can confirm that the honda electronic suspension is vastly superior in comfort and performance (Brother was very impressed too).

I guess deciding whether to pay the premium for the ES boils down to what type of roads you ride, the surfaces you come across, whether your regularly switching to and fro luggage and or pillion and whether you can afford the extra cost.

I test rode the manual suspension version, which was impressive and very well damped, handled great and if I couldn’t have afforded the ES, would have been very happy with. But the ES allows you to change the setting dependant on your mood, the road surface, comfort or sporty, on the fly. With the 2 user modes you can also adjust the preload and damping settings with 24 adjustments.

how reliable it is? Who knows, I guess we’ll have to wait and see. Do you need ES? the standard bike suspension is good. Is ES worth the extra cost, imho yes.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Our AT adventure bike is slowly becoming a sort of "Gold Wing" of ADVs.
I think you’ll find virtually all other so called adventure bikes had all of the AT 2020 feature many years ago and honda have finally nearly caught up with everyone else. I guess if you dont want all these features you probably only have two choices left, keep your old bike, or buy a T7. But with Euro 5 regs and customer demand, tech is here too stay, whether you like it or not.

I could add, if you want a less complicated bike for trail riding, buy a CRF450L. Even the so called mini AT coming soon will be full of tech.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts