Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody, new here on the forum, new to the magnificent AT. Mine is bog standard at the mo, but I want to do some trail riding.... So....
Engine bars..
Peoples experience?
Recommended products?
Which bend and are made of cheese?
Which are solid are stand repeated abuse?
I've seen the Renntec ones and to be honest, they look good and strong, decent price too.
Anybody tried them?
Which else are decent?
Cheers in advance for any nuggets of info.
I'm in the UK btw.
Rob

·
Registered
154 Posts
I got full front protection from a South African outfit called Rumbux
https://rumbux.com/product/full-spec-endurance-protection-bars-honda-crf1000l/
The price was very reasonable and includes a bash plate, but because they don't have an agent in Australia by the time I'd paid for them to be freighted, cleared by customs agent etc, it worked out the same price as if I'd picked up a set of Touratech locally. Having said that, they are pretty robust and have survived a few tumbles including a couple of pretty big hits without damage. If you plan on a fair bit of off-road, I'd also suggest a set of Barkbusters - they've saved my arse a few times too.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Yes I did, forgive me! Noob here. Alt- Rider? I will have a look. Cheers for the advice.
Second the Altrider recommendation. They are beautifully engineered and very solid; took two low speed falls with zero visible effect.

I admit I have kind of gone nuts on the Altrider upgrades, including bars, bash plate, headlight guards, kickstand foot, and fender risers.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Quality stuff

Second the Altrider recommendation. They are beautifully engineered and very solid; took two low speed falls with zero visible effect.

I admit I have kind of gone nuts on the Altrider upgrades, including bars, bash plate, headlight guards, kickstand foot, and fender risers.

I have the Alt Rider rear rack and radiator guards- They definitely make quality products.

I went with the Outback Motortek crash bars. Here is a couple vids of them taking some abuse. They have since developed a low bar and are working on an upper bar as well. Check it out:

·
Registered
8 Posts
The Heed bunker bars are great, £190 delivered via eBay if memory serves.

Seem well made and sturdy, have survived one drop so far :)

Phil

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello and thanks for your replies. I like the Alt rider stuff, but being as I'm in the UK the shipping alone makes it unviable.
Heed look good too, but again, not UK so I'm still looking around.
Bash plates are a good question, it remains to be seen exactly how much off roading I do, but definitely a good idea.
So far, I'm still liking the look of the UK Renntec bars. 3 point mounting makes them stronger than most I would say.

https://renntec.com/honda-crf1000l-a...-in-black.html

https://renntec.com/honda-crf1000l-a...-in-black.html

Any thoughts on these?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What could be the problem buying Heed bars? We still in EU as well as Poland is, so comparing to the US-manufactured items no problem buying these.
Yeah, I take your point, shipping wouldn't be too bad. It's just I like to support UK manufacturers when I can.

·
Registered
111 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Yeah, I take your point, shipping wouldn't be too bad. It's just I like to support UK manufacturers when I can.
I can respect that, but I've also heard nothing but praise for the Heed bars. I haven't purchased them yet as I would also like to keep the weight low, but if you decide to go that direction the emails I've sent to Heed have been promptly dealt with and I would be happy to buy from them.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I don't know what the Heed or other bars weigh, but they were a lot lighter than I expected. The strength comes from the way they are designed.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 28 Posts