Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello!

the engine in my CRF clicks at about 1700rpm.. noise appears when the temperature rises and is irregular. I checked valve clearances and are correct. Maybe it's a balancing shaft..., valve arm ..??

the clicking sound is irritating for me.... or maybe it's normal in CRF

on youtube video : VDKAbFPcbS4

·
Registered
860 Posts
Could it be a cam chain tensioner? Not sure how many miles/kilometres on your bike. Sounds like a similar type of click that I've had on another bike. I can't recall if cam chain tensioners are adjustable on our bikes or not.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Does it go away after the bike has run for five minutes?

My always happened for 2-4 minutes after starting with the Honda OEM oil.

It went away after I switched oil brand.

That's always my first step with weird shifting and weird noises that change with time.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Does it go away after the bike has run for five minutes?

My always happened for 2-4 minutes after starting with the Honda OEM oil.
when start cold the engine it works without this sound, when engine warms up to the fan I can hear the most noise.
clicks come from left side engine from around the left balancer, or left cylinder .. it is difficult to locate

·
Registered
191 Posts
Okay, that's different from mine. Mine was a loud knock that would temporarily pause the idle. It would do it a few times until it warmed up and did it off the showroom floor.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hello!

the engine in my CRF clicks at about 1700rpm.. noise appears when the temperature rises and is irregular. I checked valve clearances and are correct. Maybe it's a balancing shaft..., valve arm ..??

Was your AT purchased in California? If so it could be associated with CA specific emissions package. My AT makes that "click" when it's warming up. After I take off and she's at temp it goes away. Dealer confirmed this as well. Good luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello!

mdxmd did you found what it was? Seems that mine has some similar issues.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts