Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2021 DCT ASES (~2800 miles) and I've had the engine cut out 4 times now from a complete stop. It's as if you give it light throttle to move slowly in traffic, it cuts out but restarts right away.

I was wondering if anyone else had experienced this?

Any suggestions very welcome!!

·
Registered
442 Posts
I have a 2021 DCT ASES (~2800 miles) and I've had the engine cut out 4 times now from a complete stop. It's as if you give it light throttle to move slowly in traffic, it cuts out but restarts right away.

Yep, once or possibly a second time. My 2020 did this after 8,000 mile service and fuel tank/ filter repair. I was about 200 miles into a day’s ride when it did exactly that. Since it had never missed a beat up to that point I was completely caught off guard. The only other time anything strange happened was at about 9,500 miles I was letting it warm up in my driveway while gearing up. When I blipped the throttle before putting it in gear it died then took a couple tries before it restarted. I’m at 10,000 miles now with no further drama.

·
Registered
442 Posts

FYI there are other threads here about this issue.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep, once or possibly a second time. My 2020 did this after 8,000 mile service and fuel tank/ filter repair. I was about 200 miles into a day’s ride when it did exactly that. Since it had never missed a beat up to that point I was completely caught off guard. The only other time anything strange happened was at about 9,500 miles I was letting it warm up in my driveway while gearing up. When I blipped the throttle before putting it in gear it died then took a couple tries before it restarted. I’m at 10,000 miles now with no further drama.
Thanks for the response.. I'm going to try to empty the crankcase vent tube thing tomorrow. I hope that will cure it.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Not yet, they are so busy they told me they are not even accepting bikes until the 6th of December.

But maybe I'll just talk to them to see what's what?

You think?
I would tell them. Yours is too frequent to ignore. It’s hard to say if this is just a weird anomaly or something inherent to our bike. If everyone who experiences it reports it then we may find out which it is.

·
Registered
613 Posts
An ECU reset will help too

Reactions: Jdcravin

·
Super Moderator
10,164 Posts
My 2020 did the same. Dct with 500 miles. Gently pulled away and it cut out. Told the dealer at first service and they did an ecu update. 3000 miles later all good
Yeah, that would be maddening.

If that wasn't fixed, I think I'd put a bullet through its brain and put it out of its misery.

·
Registered
218 Posts
As Ghostrider says, try a reset:

Preliminary: WARM OIL TO OPERATIONAL TEMP FIRST. Set engine cut-off switch to run. Sidestand up.

1. Press & hold D while turning on ignition at the key.

2. Watch Engine light. Release D after light goes out.

3. Tap sequence: D-D-N-D-N.

(Unsuccessful if horizontal bar [gear indicator] is blinking 0.5 sec interval. Go back to beginning of process. Cycle key and begin again...)

4. Successful if horizontal bar [gear indicator] is blinking 2 sec interval. If so, start bike.

5. Wait for "N" to appear on dash....Turn engine off at ignition switch (not engine cut off switch)

6. Restart engine normally. Push D. Check that everything reads normal.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As Ghostrider says, try a reset:

Preliminary: WARM OIL TO OPERATIONAL TEMP FIRST. Set engine cut-off switch to run. Sidestand up.

1. Press & hold D while turning on ignition at the key.

2. Watch Engine light. Release D after light goes out.

3. Tap sequence: D-D-N-D-N.

(Unsuccessful if horizontal bar [gear indicator] is blinking 0.5 sec interval. Go back to beginning of process. Cycle key and begin again...)

4. Successful if horizontal bar [gear indicator] is blinking 2 sec interval. If so, start bike.

5. Wait for "N" to appear on dash....Turn engine off at ignition switch (not engine cut off switch)

6. Restart engine normally. Push D. Check that everything reads normal.
Thanks for that sequence!

·
Registered
41 Posts
May have been covered already, and apologies if so, but wonder if a firmware update would solve this…I note that only b/c I saw in the news yesterday that several hundred NC750Xs were recalled for this same issue on those DCTs having to do with fuel injector settings or something.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
May have been covered already, and apologies if so, but wonder if a firmware update would solve this…I note that only b/c I saw in the news yesterday that several hundred NC750Xs were recalled for this same issue on those DCTs having to do with fuel injector settings or something.
Thanks for the info.. I'm taking it to the dealer on Jan 8th.. That's the soonest they can take it in and I'll be sure to share this info with them.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update To This Issue: So the dealership took it in and updated the computer.

I really think they set it up with the new 2022 firmware update that changes the fuel maps, because the bike no longer has the low speed harsh lurch/shift.

It feels much smoother and the stalling issue is history.

If you have this problem and you have a >2022 AT, get them to do this update.. It's a new bike altogether.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts