Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have a 2021 DCT ASES (~2800 miles) and I've had the engine cut out 4 times now from a complete stop. It's as if you give it light throttle to move slowly in traffic, it cuts out but restarts right away.

I was wondering if anyone else had experienced this?

Any suggestions very welcome!!
I have a 21 dct and it has less than 1000miles on it. My has stalled on me Twice, I felt like it happen when I started to move then had to let off and Immediately take off again. Personally I think the problem is in the dct, almost as if it was slow to respond and stalled the motor because clutches didn't engage quick enough. Just a thought

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have a 21 dct and it has less than 1000miles on it. My has stalled on me Twice, I felt like it happen when I started to move then had to let off and Immediately take off again. Personally I think the problem is in the dct, almost as if it was slow to respond and stalled the motor because clutches didn't engage quick enough. Just a thought
I was wondering if it had something to do with me putting full synthetic in it. Then today I stumbled across your post. Hope somebody will figure it out, I haven't had the chance to take it off road yet little nervous it is going to Stall. Need to get my crash bars order up.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Did you see my update
I was wondering if it had something to do with me putting full synthetic in it. Then today I stumbled across your post. Hope somebody will figure it out, I haven't had the chance to take it off road yet little nervous it is going to Stall. Need to get my crash bars order up.
Did you see my update? The dealer reset the firmware and that solved the problem... Also, i think they reset it with the new 2022 firmware because the hard shift/lurching and slow speed is gone.. It's like a new bike

·
Registered
31 Posts
I was wondering if it had something to do with me putting full synthetic in it. Then today I stumbled across your post. Hope somebody will figure it out, I haven't had the chance to take it off road yet little nervous it is going to Stall. Need to get my crash bars order up
Did you see my update

Did you see my update? The dealer reset the firmware and that solved the problem... Also, i think they reset it with the new 2022 firmware because the hard shift/lurching and slow speed is gone.. It's like a new bike

·
Registered
31 Posts
I was wondering if it had something to do with me putting full synthetic in it. Then today I stumbled across your post. Hope somebody will figure it out, I haven't had the chance to take it off road yet little nervous it is going to Stall. Need to get my crash bars order up
I didn't see the update, thanks for letting me know. I will be doing the same.

·
Premium Member
2020 ATAS ES DCT
360 Posts
I took my 2020 ATAS ES DCT out two days ago. 3 times during that 50 mile ride it cut out on the manner described. I am just over 12,000 miles. Recall was performed at the dealer about 150 miles ago. Never had the issue until now. It occurred in different modes. Too much electronics! I believe my next ride will be on the 1975 GL1000.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Sorry man, that's a bummer. I have the same bike. Odd that mine didn't do it either until after the dealer did the tank clean, at about 8,000 miles. I've put on a couple thousand more with no issues.

·
Premium Member
2020 ATAS ES DCT
360 Posts
Sorry man, that's a bummer. I have the same bike. Odd that mine didn't do it either until after the dealer did the tank clean, at about 8,000 miles. I've put on a couple thousand more with no issues.
I had the Trip A continue to reset on its own frequently when I got it back from the shop, although I believe that was related to an iPhone update. Following the next update on the phone it went away. I realize that I have put more miles on it than I thought I had since the recall. A few hundred miles worth. The previous rides I had no such issue. I had just filled my tank with Shell gasoline. Next step is to try the DCT reset and see how that goes.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Last week mine reset trip A also. It had never done that before. I happened to look down and see that area of the screen highlighted. I couldn't get it to 'un-highlight' so I stopped and turned off the ignition and it was normal but reset when I turned it back on. Weird...

·
Premium Member
2020 ATAS ES DCT
360 Posts
I failed to mention that I usually run regular 87 non-ethanol. Yes, non-ethanol is widely available in middle Tennessee. However, when I had my stalling issues on my 2020 ATAS ES DCT I had just filled it up with 5.0 gls of Shell 87 Octane 10% ethanol. Although, reading about the NC750 DCT Recall on another, older thread, I doubt it had much to do with the sudden lack of ethanol, considering that ethanol burns hotter.
My reseting of trip A went on highlight and back off about every 6-8 miles, during a 100+ mile ride. I switched screens to Trip B, which has never been reset, and trip B did not have the issue, just Trip A. Gremlins, must be gremlins.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
The more electronics the more code that's written for the computer.. That means more bugs that cannot be found by the testing team. Not until more and more people report this issue AND can reliably repeat it will it be fully solved.

Sucks, but the more goodies, the more issues.

·
Super Moderator
10,215 Posts
I failed to mention that I usually run regular 87 non-ethanol. Yes, non-ethanol is widely available in middle Tennessee. However, when I had my stalling issues on my 2020 ATAS ES DCT I had just filled it up with 5.0 gls of Shell 87 Octane 10% ethanol. Although, reading about the NC750 DCT Recall on another, older thread, I doubt it had much to do with the sudden lack of ethanol, considering that ethanol burns hotter.
My reseting of trip A went on highlight and back off about every 6-8 miles, during a 100+ mile ride. I switched screens to Trip B, which has never been reset, and trip B did not have the issue, just Trip A. Gremlins, must be gremlins.
(grumble) "2022" - I keep telling myself. There is no excuse for Honda to release firmware and/or brittle hardware that can't even reliably measure ambient temperature.

Trip A [self?] resetting is incredibly bothersome.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2020 DCT ATAS bought new in February 2021 with about 5000 miles on it and have experienced at least 5 engine stalls at stop lights. The most recent one was yesterday where I was literally moving at about 1 mph somewhat drifting down towards a light as cars in front of me made right on red light. This stall occurred during the 1 mph "drift". Always restarts and runs fine - until the next random event. I'll try an ECU reset and report back.

·
Premium Member
2020 ATAS ES DCT
360 Posts
I took my 2020 ATAS ES DCT out on a 4 day trip, 400+ miles, with no adverse issues at all. No stalling, no loss of power, no random trip reseting and minimal operator errors. I was quite pleased on this trip. I did not pull the fuel tank or do a brain reset.
computers, you gotta love them.

·
Super Moderator
10,215 Posts
I have a 2020 DCT ATAS bought new in February 2021 with about 5000 miles on it and have experienced at least 5 engine stalls at stop lights. The most recent one was yesterday where I was literally moving at about 1 mph somewhat drifting down towards a light as cars in front of me made right on red light. This stall occurred during the 1 mph "drift". Always restarts and runs fine - until the next random event. I'll try an ECU reset and report back.
That must feel somewhat disheartening @WalkingTheDog given the relative youth of your ATAS. There really is no excuse for this behaviour to happen. It is indeed undesirable and its unpredictability unsafe. Lots has been written in the forum regarding similar member situations (barring the ATAS fuel tank recall), but I think no succinct root cause.

Nevertheless, welcome to the Forum. Feel free to introduce yourself at the New Member Introductions area of the Forum.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have a 2020 ATAS with 3100km. I did an oil and filter change last week and after that the bike would cut out when I twisted the throttle. I put in 4L of oil. When I checked the oil level, it showed low. So I added about another 500ml.
After that the bike seemed ok until today. Something sounded off at a light and the bike quit. I started it again and then as I pulled off , the bike cut. When it cut, it seems to me a weird noise from the engine.
anyone experienced something like this?

I am trying to find previous threads And came across this one. ( the noise could be the engine quitting but odd )

thanks

·
Registered
2020 AT DTC Base model
65 Posts
Just had a stall in heavy traffic waiting on a light to turn left off The Las Vegas Strip.. not cool, don't think its a DTC issue I think its the engine mapping, funny thing is when I had started the bike while I suited up it stalled while idling just 5 min before. I always ride S3/Urban in the city. Had a stall a few weeks back after a long highway ride in S3/Tour, same deal, waiting for a light to turn left. Going to take the bike in and see what they say. Love everything about it, but the stalling really sucks. Just over 3000 Miles on it. Have had 4 stalls total.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Just had a stall in heavy traffic waiting on a light to turn left off Las Vegas Strip.. not cool, don't think its a DTC issue I think its the engine mapping, funny thing is when I had started the bike while I suited up it stalled while idling just 5 min before. I always ride S3/Urban in the city. Had a stall a few weeks back after a long highway ride in S3/Tour, same deal, waiting for a light to turn left. Going to take the bike in and see what they say. Love everything about it, but the stalling really sucks.
That sucks! Mine has only done it once in 11,000 miles when trying to leave a stop sign. From the various threads on the topic it doesn’t seem to matter what mode or other settings.

·
Registered
2019 ATAS DCT
844 Posts
21 - 40 of 54 Posts