Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am also having the engine stalling issue on the 2020 AT adventure sports DCT. I first noticed it when slowing while approaching a stop sign or stop light or any stop for that matter and also a few times when accelerating from a stop. I had the fuel tank issue recall performed last year and figured that was the issue but seems as if it still occurring now that I’m back riding again with warmer weather. Definitely annoying because it’s so sporadic but ultimately dangerous. Maybe I will try a DCT reset/calibration to fix the issue? It does seem to occur more often when pulling very lightly on the throttle from a stop and doing a “California roll” through a stop sign. Will also see if I can get local dealer to do a ECU update as mentioned in earlier post.

·
Registered
2020 AT DTC Base model
65 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
My ATAS is the manual. .
what I’m noticing is that the idle is hunting as well.
sometimes much smoother and other times very erratic.

the scopes here don’t want to know you unless you make an appointment and weeks out. All I want to know from them if they know if this is an issue.

today , I got to my destination with hunting idle , gave the throttle a blip and cut. This has happened a few times like this.
maybe it’s imagination , but all since an oil and filter change.
only done about the three hundred kms since I bought it

·
Registered
5 Posts
quick update....so I attempted the DCT reset/calibrate thing and not sure if it actually did it or not because the gear indicator kept flashing "-" and never went back to normal until turning the bike off and on even after 30 minutes of running. the bike does seem to perform much better however now the bottom info screen will now only display the DS symbol where the D or S should be. not sure how to fix that because and I tried the DCT reset again and it still shows it. Tried pressing D and S while the bike is running but still shows the DS. the top touch screen does still show whether I am in neutral or whatever gear I am. I rode down to Indianapolis from Chicago yesterday and back today (probably a bad idea) and the engine still stalled once when I was exiting a gas station. there were a few instances in downtown Indianapolis in slow crawl traffic where I was expecting it to stall but it did not.
Speedometer Vehicle Odometer Automotive tire Automotive lighting

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have an update I think on my stalling.

I believe one of the spark plugs caps were not installed properly. It was s9 easy to take it off.
worked it on now it seems good.
my idle is still not 100. It seems to hunt a bit.
I need t9 remove thetank and check all spark plug boots.

·
Super Moderator
10,215 Posts
I have an update I think on my stalling.

I believe one of the spark plugs caps were not installed properly. It was s9 easy to take it off.
worked it on now it seems good.
my idle is still not 100. It seems to hunt a bit.
I need t9 remove thetank and check all spark plug boots.
Hopeful. (y)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have this exact issue, 21 plate ATAS, DCT. 10k mile. Has been stalling at low speed/low rev (in traffic!!). Had a firmware update 2 weeks ago, was fine for a while but then today stalled twice on my commute. Spoke to dealer, they can't fix the problem because they insist it is a software issue with fuel injection control module. So I will have to wait for Honda to do something about this... or trade for a GS.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had this exact issue on my 2020 ATAS. I did the DCT recalibration and it seems to have worked for now. I can still feel/hear the bike wanting to die at very low speeds, but it hasn't. I can also confirm that there is a 2022 ECU update at the dealer for 2020 and 2021 models. I just had it applied yesterday, but haven't noticed any difference.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had this exact issue on my 2020 ATAS. I did the DCT recalibration and it seems to have worked for now. I can still feel/hear the bike wanting to die at very low speeds, but it hasn't. I can also confirm that there is a 2022 ECU update at the dealer for 2020 and 2021 models. I just had it applied yesterday, but haven't noticed any difference.
I started using only premium fuel from only one specific fuel station... and it hasn't stalled since. Will also take it for the ECU update, thanks for the heads up

·
Registered
451 Posts
One of the challenges with this problem is how long it may go without happening. It may be that one type of fuel is less likely to effect it but how can we know? My bike has stalled 3 or 4 times in 2-1/2 years and 14,500 miles. The last time was a week ago but before that was almost a year.

·
Registered
2020 AT DTC Base model
65 Posts
One of the challenges with this problem is how long it may go without happening. It may be that one type of fuel is less likely to effect it but how can we know? My bike has stalled 3 or 4 times in 2-1/2 years and 14,500 miles. The last time was a week ago but before that was almost a year.
Go get that ECU updated Dallas!

41 - 54 of 54 Posts