Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys so I have about 400 miles on my AT now and read several owners saying their bike died for no reason. Was happy this wasn't mine and thought perhaps it was rectified. wrong!
Stopped at a light in heavy traffic on the front row, light changed, took off and bam, no power. Dumped the clutch nothing happened. Rolled over into the turn lane happy to have room and hit the restart button. Fired up and ran fine since.
I've read where some have unhooked the battery and reinstalled with success. Question is this: Has there been any computer reflash or something where I need to take mine to the dealer?

THC1

·
Registered
465 Posts
I'm not too clear on your post.

Did you lose power when you dumped the clutch (i.e. instrumental lights out) or did you just stall the bike?

I've stalled the bike a couple times when I'm about to take off uphill. Noticed this bike likes to be revved a bit more before takeoff especially uphill.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
re

I'm not too clear on your post.

Did you lose power when you dumped the clutch (i.e. instrumental lights out) or did you just stall the bike?

I've stalled the bike a couple times when I'm about to take off uphill. Noticed this bike likes to be revved a bit more before takeoff especially uphill.
Certainly I've dumped the clutch and killed bikes a thousand times but I was rolling and going........clutch dumped, bike took off and within first 10 feet it died. Fired right back up so seemed like a big gulp of air and no fuel. Weird....hasn't done it since but I was hoping to avoid using the dealer for my 600 mile check and just changing oil myself. Wondering about computer reflash required.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I had this happen to mine within the first 5,000 miles. It backfired and died for me. I haven't seen it since though, and I am up to about 18,000 miles.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Certainly I've dumped the clutch and killed bikes a thousand times but I was rolling and going........clutch dumped, bike took off and within first 10 feet it died. Fired right back up so seemed like a big gulp of air and no fuel. Weird....hasn't done it since but I was hoping to avoid using the dealer for my 600 mile check and just changing oil myself. Wondering about computer reflash required.
I had this happen to mine within the first 5,000 miles. It backfired and died for me. I haven't seen it since though, and I am up to about 18,000 miles.
This bike just worries me more & more. I've never heard and/or experienced so many issues with a bike in all the Honda bikes I've owned.

Imagine you're in the middle of the intersection ready to turn left as soon as traffic clears, you see a gap then proceed to turn and the engine dies on you then oncoming traffic hits you.

·
Registered
400 Posts
TCH1 - do the oil change yourself and take the bike in to have them check the electronics, ie link it up to their machine. It will take minutes to do and you get the satisfaction of changing the oil.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts