Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!

Help me decide between these two or Got a guard to sell?

• GIVI

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • Touratech

Votes: 4 40.0%
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
I bought a used 2017 DCT that came with a set of Outback Motortek engine guards. Although extremely tough, they could have been thought out a little better.

By that I mean there's not a lot of room to get the dipstick out to check the oil, and the oil filler is inaccessible unless you have a funnel with a flexible tube.

The one other thing I don't like is the bars are in the way of the battery box. I haven't had the battery out yet, but am dreading doing so if in fact I have to remove the engine guards to do it. I'm pretty sure I'll have to remove the one side for sure to pull the battery.

I do like the look of them though. They're a very sturdy, thick crash bar. The previous owner was a little short guy, and dropped the bike numerous times as he was always tippy toed when stopped. Just some paint scratched off the guards, but that's it. Both sides are still completely symmetrical.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I had the Altrider lower crashbars on my 2017, and just ordered another set for my 2019. Simple, rugged system and its subtle while protecting the vital parts of the engine.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I bought a used 2017 DCT that came with a set of Outback Motortek engine guards. Although extremely tough, they could have been thought out a little better.

By that I mean there's not a lot of room to get the dipstick out to check the oil, and the oil filler is inaccessible unless you have a funnel with a flexible tube.

The one other thing I don't like is the bars are in the way of the battery box. I haven't had the battery out yet, but am dreading doing so if in fact I have to remove the engine guards to do it. I'm pretty sure I'll have to remove the one side for sure to pull the battery.

I do like the look of them though. They're a very sturdy, thick crash bar. The previous owner was a little short guy, and dropped the bike numerous times as he was always tippy toed when stopped. Just some paint scratched off the guards, but that's it. Both sides are still completely symmetrical.
I don't have any problem pulling the battery cover off with the Outback Motertek guards.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I don't have any problem pulling the battery cover off with the Outback Motertek guards.
I've had the cover off too, but it looked like there might not be enough room to actually get the battery out of the box with the guard in place.

Have you removed the battery?

Thanks

·
Registered
534 Posts
I've had the cover off too, but it looked like there might not be enough room to actually get the battery out of the box with the guard in place.

Have you removed the battery?

Thanks

I have these bars. They have a deliberate bend there and the battery has no problem clearing it.

I'll add I've been really happy with these, combined with barkbuster storms, b and b safari bash plate. There's been zero damage to the bike with several drops and a 35mph...front wheel slide into a muddy gully then into the ditch. The bars have not bent at all... Just a bit of rash.

Edit, I'm an idiot and read the post wrong. I have the sw motech bars... No interference with battery removal. I apologize for misreading the post.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the Outback on my 2017, had them on a Tiger 800 as well. No issues, and in my opinion they look great, do not interrupt the style of the bike and though I haven't required their services YET, I know they were outstanding on the Tiger for crash protection.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Outback Motortek middle bars and Bumot skid plate which protect side engine cases.
Hi, how do you like the Bumot? Never seen one in flesh but on the photos it doesn’t look good. It looks as if it was done by an amateur. Sharp edges, and 2 sizes bigger . Or the photos are deceiving?

·
Registered
445 Posts
Hi, how do you like the Bumot? Never seen one in flesh but on the photos it doesn’t look good. It looks as if it was done by an amateur. Sharp edges, and 2 sizes bigger . Or the photos are deceiving?
I have to mount it next week :smile2:
A friend of mine is very satisfied with it.
Personally I think the OM bash plate is a little small, you really need the lower bars if you use it. Keep in mind that, on flat terrain, the OM middle bars will touch ground before everything else (togheter with the handlebar). The engine cases would be involved only if some rocks or other obstacles are present, in that case with the lower bars you have to be lucky and hope the rock hits the bars instead of going "thru" them. The Bumot bash plate is a little larger (higher) and therefore "should" better protect the lower engine cases.
I agree it's not very beautiful but I think that, in this case, function comes before form. Moreover I think photos don't always say the true.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have to mount it next week :smile2:
A friend of mine is very satisfied with it.
Personally I think the OM bash plate is a little small, you really need the lower bars if you use it. Keep in mind that, on flat terrain, the OM middle bars will touch ground before everything else (togheter with the handlebar). The engine cases would be involved only if some rocks or other obstacles are present, in that case with the lower bars you have to be lucky and hope the rock hits the bars instead of going "thru" them. The Bumot bash plate is a little larger (higher) and therefore "should" better protect the lower engine cases.
I agree it's not very beautiful but I think that, in this case, function comes before form. Moreover I think photos don't always say the true.
I agree function in this case is more important than beauty. One more thing is on my mind whether those side “blades” of the skid plate can make you hurt in case of a fall...

·
Registered
445 Posts
I agree function in this case is more important than beauty. One more thing is on my mind whether those side “blades” of the skid plate can make you hurt in case of a fall...
To me the "blades" appear very near to the engine: I don't think they can be of any danger.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Hi, did you install the bumot skid plate yet?
Hello,
Yes, installed last week. I'll have to finish because I could not place the two bolts on the right side (were not aligned with the holes). The installation is a little hard as some of the bolts are not easily reachable and the plate is pretty rigid.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts