Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read a couple reports that the @ transfers uncomfortable amounts of engine heat to the rider.

Of course, "uncomfortable amounts" is subjective, and has a large bias depending on where you live and ride.

I live in the US Southwest desert of Arizona, so large amounts of engine heat is usually unwelcome during about half the year, here.

I can cope with riding other cycles to about 105 deg. F, and then I surrender and move to the cage.

I am requesting rider's impressions of the @, specifically amounts of engine heat transferred to the rider.

Thanks!

·
Registered
121 Posts
I live in the much cooler UK where 105F (40C) is unknown. However we do get a few days in the 80s and have had some of those recently.

Assuming that @ means CRF1000L (AT) then my observation is that its fine, when mine was new it seemed hotter but i have a feeling that was just because it smelled hot as oils etc burned off the outside of the new engine. After a few hundred miles I didn't notice the smell or heat at all and even on recent very hot (for us) days its not been a problem.

My rides do tend to be mainly highway at a reasonable speed which would help keep the temps down anyway so if your doing a lot of slow speed off road stuff things may be a bit different and hopefully others will comment.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have not heard that mentioned and even tho I ride a ST 1300 which is one of the, if not the worse for engine heat transfer I am concerned. I am one of those people that start to panic if the forecast is for 85° and would and do not even consider riding if it's 95° +. I am very anxious to hear what others have to say about this. One of my main reasons for getting a new bike is because of the heat transfer and to be more comfortable during the summer season. I am keeping the ST for the cold months.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hummmm....I would have to say it is not true. I rode 500 miles in 85 deg. temps yesterday and really experienced zero heat from the engine. Compared to other bikes and heat the AT is a joy to ride.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Over the last weekend in the UK it's been 80-85, I've been riding with the wife on her new CB500F running in so slow riding on the AT and no issues with heat off the engine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I'm thankful for the responses, truly.

Yes, I'm referring to the new-to-US, 2017 CRF1000L (AT). I thought the "@" symbol ("at") was the shorthand everyone understood.

I know there are desert owners on this forum, and I'm asking to hear from them. I am interested in all owner's views of this (non?) issue, but I'm really interested in the desert owner's responses.

If you ride above 90 deg. F, I'd love to hear your opinion on this.

(An aside: I test rode a local Tucson, AZ. dealership's new-to-US Triumph Tiger (XC?) 800 back in 2013. I declined purchase because it vented waaaaay too much engine heat onto my legs.)

Thanks very much.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a new AT and it has been over 90 degrees here in Wisconsin for over a week. This is a hot bike. The heat from the radiator is directed onto the riders legs, but mostly the knees. I am 6' 2". I did two things which worked for me. I installed the lower deflectors and bought motorcycle jeans with padded knees. It is no longer a problem on hot days. I had to buy the lower deflectors from England, as I was unable to find them here in the states.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I live in Texas and it has been at 100 degrees for almost a month now, so all of my riding has been in hot weather and I don't find it nearly as hot as my XR650L. Yes the air moving through the radiators gets warm, but I wear good riding gear and the hot air isn't a problem for my knees or legs and it doesn't migrate up to my chest or face even in slow traffic.

The XR650L is MUCH HOTER than the AT!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I installed the lower deflectors and bought motorcycle jeans with padded knees. It is no longer a problem on hot days. I had to buy the lower deflectors from England, as I was unable to find them here in the states. $236 with shipping.

Wow, that's expensive, for what they are. I'm glad they work for you!
I would have thought the jean's padded knees would absorb the heat, for a longer toasty cookin'.
Anyway, I get it. The cycle throws some heat, but there are mitigations.
Looks like I'll need a test ride :smile2:

·
Registered
124 Posts
Seems so odd that I do not experience heat from the engine. It seems to be split as to those that do and those that don't. My bandit absolutely fries my right leg and I think if I put a sausage on the foot peg it would be done in 30 minutes or so.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I've read a couple reports that the @ transfers uncomfortable amounts of engine heat to the rider.

Of course, "uncomfortable amounts" is subjective, and has a large bias depending on where you live and ride.

I live in the US Southwest desert of Arizona, so large amounts of engine heat is usually unwelcome during about half the year, here.

I can cope with riding other cycles to about 105 deg. F, and then I surrender and move to the cage.

I am requesting rider's impressions of the @, specifically amounts of engine heat transferred to the rider.

Thanks!
When it gets hot (40+) and if you are tall you will get toasted on the knees but the little lower air deflectors do work but they are very expensive. I think you could make up something that does the same from a car parts store out of rubber door strip or the like. This is the Honda product at AU$300+ when its cool up to 35 C not an issue or if you are shorter you will be fine.
I should add standing is fine no temp at all its only if you have long legs that push your knees up by the radiator exit that you will notice it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've not noticed the heat from the bike and I live here in Phoenix. That being said, I just got off a 2004 FJR that I was the original owner of and it had a notorious heat problem. I would manifest the heat on the tank when it was empty. Several times riding back to Phoenix with a near empty tank, in high temps (+105F), I would find the inner thighs with "sunburn" for a while after getting off the bike. I usually wear the Kevlar jeans in the high temps of summer. I do not notice any heat issues with this bike compared to the FJR. But I've also lived most of my life in Phoenix( 55+ years) so I am pretty used to the summer heat.

·
Registered
229 Posts
WOW! Hot air rising from a motorcycle engine that you're riding on top of right between your legs, who'd have guessed?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I was thinking about this, but I haven't had a super hot day yet to test it where I am. The funny thing is that it's true, I don't notice heat as much because probably because I ride all armored up. On my last bike it was just crawling in like 100 degree weather when things got toasty around my legs, but my warm weather pants only had foam in the knees not hard armor. I'll have to test out my new pants with my old bike/new AT and compare!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I live in Tucson and it is regularly over 100 F. Yep, the engine is hot and I can feel it on my legs, but I can do the same on my Gold Wing. The AT is definitely hotter and the heat seems to come directly from the engine, not so much from the air off the radiator. I'll have to pay more attention to that. So far I've just moved my feet to the outside end of the pegs to get more air between me and the engine. I'm going to get some Pivot Pegs which are longer, letting me move my feet farther out. Deflectors? Look interesting but Honda is really proud of their parts, aren't they?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I test rode a DCT Africa Twin in the St Louis, MO area today....the temperature was around 80 with moderate humidity. I currently own a 2013 Super Tenere and a 2015 KLR650--neither put off any noticeable heat at any speed while riding. For reference, I also owned three different ST1300s which are noted by many for excessive heat while riding...almost to the point of being unrideable for me in high heat and humidity. I removed the inner fairing liners and riding the ST1300 in comfort was good after the mod.

That said, I noticed quite a bit of engine/radiator heat on the AT test ride today even though it was not hot/humid by St Louis summer standards. I don't know if the manual clutch AT is any cooler, but the DCT model is sort of out of consideration for me due to the heat emanating from the engine. I like to poke around at low speed on my bikes at times and that is when the bike would run the hottest = riding discomfort.

Otherwise, I liked the DCT operation (my first DCT ridden), the bike was very smooth/ran good, and had decent fit and finish. It was however a little cramped for me at 6'4" and a 35" inseam. My Super Tenere has better ergos for me and it will remain my street/travel bike as I am looking to replace the KLR for light dual sporting.

I am still considering the bike, but the heat is a problem.....maybe the manual shift bike runs a little cooler?? Has anyone ridden them back to back and sensed less heat on one of the bikes?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts