Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone experiencing occasional noise from the engine, may be the valves knocking. Whatever it is it does not sound good.
I have had it occur about three times now and only have about 150 miles on the bike.
Does not occur on start up, and I don't notice it while riding. Also seems to occur when the bike hot and is on the side stand. Put it on my lift, no noise, take it off and it starts, increases, but goes away by revving the engine a bit.

Checked fluid levels & using 89 octane so all should be good. Will run it by the dealer the next time I hear it, but curious if anyone with a new bike has the same noise,

·
Registered
728 Posts
4 days and 350km since picking Red STD up. No weird engine noises hot, cold, on main or side stand. Do you have a STD or DCT? Are you lugging the engine when riding or letting it spin freely?

Mine Ran clean on gas in tank when delivered but has coughed and died a couple of times on the first tank of Chevron 94 octane. Next tank I'll try 89. Sometimes the gas in tank on delivery is old - bike runs better after a few fill-ups.

I've been pretty hard on it during break-in. Just did a whole day Enduro course with a lot of low speed clutching, chewing through mud, single track, lock-up braking, up/down hills and some ridiculously fun powered turns roosting gravel.

I'll wash the mud off today and listen for engine noise.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Checked the oil again today, it was only half way up on the dip stick. ( Seems my dealer does things half way, only had less than a half tank of gas when i picked it up.)

Added a bit more oil and took it for a spin, had no more noise until I parked it again on the side stand and sure enough it is back but not as loud.

Will have to go by the dealer and let him listen to it, something is not quite right.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Started it on the side stand today. No earplugs.
There was some extra engine noise that went away when I pulled the clutch in. Back again with clutch out. Seemed pretty normal.

New bikes will have factory oil in them - dealer should check level but pretty rare for dealer to ever add any.
Be careful with the oil level. Run for 3-4 minutes. Stop for 2 minutes. On level ground, bike level (not on side stand). Too much oil and it will puke out the breather hoses.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The dealer is installing the 12V plug and center stand as part of my purchase, so I will take it this week to have him do the installs and check her out. Will keep my fingers crossed that it is nothing major, the weather is getting nice so want to get this thing broke in.

Thanks for the input on this

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Black99S you were on the right track, the dealer listened to it and it is in the clutch, which is a little noisy, but this is not normal. They have it for a few days to check it out and add the other accessories.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts