Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon guys. I just purchased a 2016 DCT with 1500 miles. I've only had the thing for three days and just noticed this morning that when I started it and gave it gas, the engine just revved up to about 3k RPM without the bike moving and I immediately let off the throttle as I figured it wasn't supposed to do that. I twisted the throttle again and the DCT immediately kicked in as I "believe" it is supposed to do. However, in-between 1st and 2nd gear, it revved up again slightly and I let off the gas and on again. It didn't do it again for my commute in to work.

I have no idea if this is expected behavior, however I was a bit concerned that the thing may have had the potential to SLAM in to gear.

Last night when putting the bike away, I turned it off via the emergency engine kill switch as I normally had done with my other bikes. After reading the manual for the DCT I realized it says not to do that. It got a tiny bit wet last night when riding home in very light rain.

Is a bit of revving, on start expected behavior and can you guys imagine a scenario where it would ever slam in to gear?

Forgive my ignorance, I'm just curious as that didn't seem normal to me.

Regards,

·
Registered
361 Posts
That's not normal.

As I've noted in another thread, cold starts without 20-30s of warm up (probably as engine/transmission oil gets to the tranny) can lead to jerky takeoffs and holding 1st gear for a little too long. But 3,000 rpm is way beyond what you see in the scenario I described.

·
Registered
131 Posts
You don't need to (and shouldn't either) REV It after starting it up, it is all controlled by fuel injection which will enrich the fuel/air mix AND set a fast idle speed to keep it running until some heat and oil pressure gets into the systems...THEN and ONLY then will it slow the revs down and behave normally. Under normal working conditions at idle speed the engine won't be trying to pull you forward like a normal automatic car would but under fast idle conditions it WILL.

Forget the normal habit of 'revving' as you start it up and BLIPPING as you change down each gear......it's a whole new modern world out there nowadays

Ian

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Understood, thank you guys.

After observing the bike for two more days, it keeps revving up to 3k RPM before the DCT engages on cold start only and then runs fine after that. I allowed it to go beyond 3k just to see what would happen and it engaged the DCT gracefully. As long as it doesn't slam in to gear I suppose I can live with a little unpredictable drive engagement in the morning. If anyone thinks of any issues with this or concerns, by all means, I'd love to hear your input.

Whenever I get a new motorcycle or truck for that matter, it takes me a while to trust it and I fear I'm in that "what was that sound" stage. I have a Yamaha Warrior and that bike makes all kinds of noises and it drove me crazy for the first few months. After 50k miles it turned out to be the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned. I'm hoping this one will get me well beyond that.

Regards

·
Registered
91 Posts
If I understand what you are saying, you have to give your AT a little more throttle when you first take off after a long, cold start. Then after that, it needs less throttle to be responsive. If that's what you are saying, my DCT AT does it too. So does my DCT NC700X.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jarrett,

Yes sir, that is exactly what I meant. Thank you for your input, I'm relieved to know it's not just my AT.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts