Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I put 50km on my new 2017 AT today (non dct)

Noticed a handful of times that the engine sputtered while in 1st or 2nd gear, low rpm, when transitioning from clutch to release/throttle.

Sputtering only lasted a second each time.

Anyone else experienced this? What could cause this and should I be concerned?

I don't have much mechanical knowledge so any help is appreciated!

Paul

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hello,

Noticed a handful of times that the engine sputtered while in 1st or 2nd gear, low rpm, when transitioning from clutch to release/throttle.

Paul
If any loose gravel, sand, etc. could be traction control. Turn it off or turn it down to 1 bar and try again.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Interesting thought. Never considered that. I did have the bike on full traction control all day...
Every time mine has has stumbled/hesitated, the TC light lit up on the dash. Today I think is the first time it's happened on TC1. The other times were on the default TC3 setting. TC1 may be less invasive, but it's still something to work around. Not sure if it's trying to prevent wheelies, or actual wheelspin. I know it can wheelie on TC1, but maybe there's a fine line between lifting the wheel and activating TC.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I live on dirt and my nearest bitumen road is 6 miles away, so every time I get on the bike TC and ABS get turned off. When it cuts in it does just sound like the bike is running rough.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Hello,

Paul

My manual gearbox model does the same thing. It seems to do it only when engine is lugged at low rpm. I am guessing it has something to do with the fuel injection mapping. Honda may fix it and share a software update with us-not. I have switched to a 15t front sprocket and that helps when chugging on the trail.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I had a post on here called Motor Hiccup discussing the same issue. I took it to the dealer for its 1000km service and they "re-initiallized" the bike, which I think is just unhooking the battery so the fueling sensors can reset. It was so bad for me that every once in a while (sometimes multiple times on the same day) the bike (manual version) would just quit- pretty disconcerting when you are pulling into traffic from a stop. Anyway, it seems to be resolved. I have put another 1000km+ and haven't experienced the same issue since.

Cheers,
M

·
Registered
13 Posts
sputter

My AF is a standard with no tract or abs and it is doing it every now and then seems to be after low revs and laboring more so when cold. will be asking my dealer about it

·
Registered
13 Posts
Have the manual have complained to honda they have reset ecm but still there fitted a booster plug still there so waiting more info next week from honda will post if any fix comes through.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Was wondering Simon if you ever got the hick-up worked out. My 2018 Adventure Sport has done this from the very beginning and the dealer has logged it into my records but have not located it yet. I can watch the tach drop about 2 to 300 rpm's when it happens. It only occurs in 2 situations, at low speed when I go to accelerate, like in a intersection and when it's cold like in the mornings first start up. This has never happened while I'm driving at speeds and accelerating. Any information would be helpful.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Was wondering Simon if you ever got the hick-up worked out. My 2018 Adventure Sport has done this from the very beginning and the dealer has logged it into my records but have not located it yet. I can watch the tach drop about 2 to 300 rpm's when it happens. It only occurs in 2 situations, at low speed when I go to accelerate, like in a intersection and when it's cold like in the mornings first start up. This has never happened while I'm driving at speeds and accelerating. Any information would be helpful.
My experience exactly. My dealer that sold it to me also owned an AT and said it is normal, but I've always questioned it. I don't worry since it goes away after a short idle, but I've never seen it on another fuel injected vehicle before.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hey Tequila, I read in one of the posts that changing from premium fuel to regular might help the problem. Reason given was that Honda built the bike to run on 86 or higher octane and using premium messes with the computer that's programed to the quicker combustion that regular provides. The AT has a compression rate of 10 to 1 which to me says high octane fuel but the manual calls for 86 or higher. Others have switched and not only did the missing stop but their mpg increased signifyingly. So, I just topped my tank off at 1790 miles and will run regular through it and listen for pre-ignition (pings) and see what happens.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hey Delta. That was my conclusion as well. I was surprised as it is Honda and it is a big engine, but the manual says what the manual says.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
Quick update, topped off the half filled tank with regular instead of premium and getting ready to fill the tank again. Seems that the bike is running better and hasn't missed once with the 50/50 mix. I'll be filling it again with regular. Not riding much due to the weather but I'll update again when I get more miles in.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts