Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the subject states, Since new completely stock 2017 manual. runs and pull stronger and smoother when cold. seems like it’s a bit lean when warming up.
is there a tune to cure?

·
Super Moderator
6,419 Posts
Welcome to the Forum Momo.

I have ridden the AT at -20 to +20C so far this year and haven't noticed a variance in performance behaviour. Seems smooth and strong all the time between those temperatures. A real test will come for me at 38C + summer humidity.

When you mean lean when warming up, do you mean like "ping" or something? High idle should be normal for a short while until warm. Please clarify for the Forum?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No ping or detonations, just not as smooth or fast to climb the RPM. It’s very minor (this is why I don’t think it’s mechanical), yet seems to me that this engine has the potential to breath much more free, and push harder in the high rev.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Most ECU equipped engines will run richer when cold and also have more advanced ignition timing until the engine is warm. The mixture gradually leans out and the timing will retard as operating temperature is reached. I have a Jeep with a 5.7 liter Hemi engine that is a rocket before it warms up fully. After it is warm it accelerates substantially slower. Unfortunately to achieve the proper emission standards this is the way these engines are tuned.

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
3,005 Posts
Yep just dumping fuel till it’s warm then lean for gas mileage. Kinda like what happens old school when carbs used to have a choke, choke closed made the carb suck up more gas. But in EFI the ECU just keeps the injectors open a bit longer to achieve the same result (along with a few other adjustments, as mentioned above). This is also why some people choose to re-map their ECU

·
Super Moderator
6,419 Posts
No ping or detonations, just not as smooth or fast to climb the RPM. It’s very minor (this is why I don’t think it’s mechanical), yet seems to me that this engine has the potential to breath much more free, and push harder in the high rev.
That's good. I would have been surprised if you ever heard ping from practically any Honda engine, sans extreme sport maybe.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts