Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the ES lets you configure preload for 2 user settings. However Honda has programmed it incorrectly and no one spotted it during quality checks. When you select User 1 it selects the preload settings you have input for User 2 and vice versa. This is no problem but I am amazed that such an error could get through without being picked up??

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Clearly Honda did not play with it much either. Or any of the dealers and journalists on the launch.

It might just be the UK spec software, I dont know.

For User1 set preload to 1 and for user2 set it to 20.

When you move from User1 to User2 you will feel the back end move down when it should move up. All of the other settings are fine. Just preload.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is not a big issue. For me it is more interesting that none of the test riders, none of the hundreds of dealers or none of the thousands of journalists who were taken to Sardinia for the launch spotted it. Not one. Does this speak of the superficial nature of the way these events take place. More focus on the scenery and hospitality?

·
Read Only
20 Posts
Clearly Honda did not play with it much either. Or any of the dealers and journalists on the launch.

It might just be the UK spec software, I dont know.

For User1 set preload to 1 and for user2 set it to 20.

When you move from User1 to User2 you will feel the back end move down when it should move up. All of the other settings are fine. Just preload.
How do you know it should move up?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When you select rider + pillion + luggage the default setting in all pre set modes is 20 for preload. When you select this option you can feel the electric motor winding on the preload and the seat rising.

·
Registered
229 Posts
When you select rider + pillion + luggage the default setting in all pre set modes is 20 for preload. When you select this option you can feel the electric motor winding on the preload and the seat rising.
How do you know it should move up?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
196 Posts
Cause the preload is hydraulic and activate with an oil pump , so you hear and feel it .
than it´s pretty easy to feel if the preload increase (hard) or decrease (soft)

·
Registered
328 Posts
If pre load increases the seat must rise . Adding pre load means the suspension will be less compressed for a given load. With the shock loaded it will extend as pre load is added and since the wheel cant move the seat must rise. The only time the seat wont rise is when the shock is fully extended. Pre load does nothing more than change ride height, dosnt affect how 'hard' the suspension is - that's dictated by spring rate. Neither does it affect how the suspension responds - that's the damping. Preload is all about sag.

·
Registered
196 Posts
new software is already finished , will be soon ready for an update.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Dealer will recieve the update and will install on your bike .

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
UK dealers received the software update for the dash yesterday which fixes the preload issue. Not sure if there are any other changes.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Shame they can’t fix the cruise control too! For some strange reason the manual gearbox version only allows cc activation in 4th gear or higher, whereas the dct version can be activated in 3rd or higher. The other strange thing with cc is it’s lowest speed setting is 30mph, every other vehicle I’ve ever had With cc has been 18mph or above.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Shame they can’t fix the cruise control too! For some strange reason the manual gearbox version only allows cc activation in 4th gear or higher, whereas the dct version can be activated in 3rd or higher. The other strange thing with cc is it’s lowest speed setting is 30mph, every other vehicle I’ve ever had With cc has been 18mph or above.
Even when I'm cruising along at 60km/h (37mph) I'm in 5th gear so 4th gear at 30mph doesn't sound unreasonable. I can't think of a scenario where I'd need cruise control under 30mph...if I'm going that slow, its usually not for a long distance. Sure they could have made it available in 1st gear at 10mph...but nobody would ever use it. There might even be some regulations in some countries dictating when cc can be engaged.

·
Registered
196 Posts
UK dealers received the software update for the dash yesterday which fixes the preload issue. Not sure if there are any other changes.

Firmware 2.60 will set only the preload issue , available only for CRF1100A4L and CRF1100D4 (standard and dct with EERA)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts