Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What 3 things could you do without, but wouldn't do without on a trip?

For me its:-
1. My Helinox Chair One - folds nice, goes on top of a pannier. Why sit on the floor when you can relax in comfort?

2. DD tarp. Makes a pleasant, rainproof outside space for sitting, cooking and general chilling. Just so much nicer than squeezing into my little tent.

3. Wonderboom BT speaker. Music just makes life even more awesome! Great for chilling in the evening and excellent for accompanying packing up in the morning!

20160925_163828_IMG_6091.JPG

·
Super Moderator
1,517 Posts
Me and my ATAS are usually pretty comfy;

lol I just realized I have none of my At “in bed”
if I wanna travel lighter I’ll usually take my Kelty;

I have a ton of camp site pics with this tent (used it for years), but of course none of them are available at the moment. Could I tell you some stories about what that little tent has been through and NEVER once failed me.
a pretty good list of camping equipment so it will very in chairs, mat’s and stove’s

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
At last a biker who appreciates luxury. Most of my riding mates won't stay anywhere unless it's a midge infested tent or a bunkhouse with multistorey beds, and where the knives and forks are chained to the tables.
Mike
Heh, thanks Mike. If I have to camp, I am at that age where I'd be eye'in a RV.

In regards to m/c'ing, it is really about the journey (easy or hard), and at the end of each day I don't want to "work" anymore. Bring on the shower and some ice-cold ones. I still enjoy road food (and not the roadkill kind either - in case there were chuckles to be had).

·
Super Moderator
980 Posts
My wife and I do enjoy moto-camping. But many of the folks we ride with say that their idea of "roughing it" is slow room service at a hotel. So we make compromises on trips. Sometimes we will camp while they hotel or we will hotel it as well.

To me an essential luxury is coffee. Without coffee, I am kind of like that Snickers commercial with Danny Trejo.

·
Super Moderator
980 Posts
I would say another essential luxury that I carry is my Garmin InReach. My wife and I both have one. She has the InReach Explorer +, I just carry the Mini. If you travel off the beaten path where there is no cell service, they are worth carrying.

·
Super Moderator
1,517 Posts
I would say another essential luxury that I carry is my Garmin InReach. My wife and I both have one. She has the InReach Explorer +, I just carry the Mini. If you travel off the beaten path where there is no cell service, they are worth carrying.
Agreed! Sat/Comm’s are great.
I think that the smartest thing out government has done in a long time is offer free PLB monitoring now it’s a no brainer to get one and it’s well worth the money, it’s one of those things you hope you never use but hope you have when you need one. Unfortunately the PLB’s can’t get you a gallon of gas if you’re out. Well, OK it actually can get you some gas,
IF you are willing to give local search and rescue some free training and when it is all said and done pay $10k+ for it.

·
Super Moderator
980 Posts
Agreed! Sat/Comm’s are great.
I think that the smartest thing out government has done in a long time is offer free PLB monitoring now it’s a no brainer to get one and it’s well worth the money, it’s one of those things you hope you never use but hope you have when you need one. Unfortunately the PLB’s can’t get you a gallon of gas if you’re out. Well, OK it actually can get you some gas,
IF you are willing to give local search and rescue some free training and when it is all said and done pay $10k+ for it.
I did consider a PLB since my wife already had the InReach. But ultimately decided on another InReach due to the ability to text each other or emergency services if you have to hit SOS.

So far we have only had to use them once in an emergency. Neither of us where involved. We came across a woman who had collided with a Jeep after going to hot in a corner and crossing into the other lane. No cell service, but the InReach worked.

But we have also used them in non-Emergency situations like where one of us stayed with a bike in the group that broke down while the other went to get the trailer. We could keep in touch despite no cell Services.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,517 Posts
I ride a lot in Wales, the phone is mainly at the end of the day to catch up with a nice Guinness or two. Card is for pertol
Yea I have to take my cell phone too.
Gotta drive to a town and check in every couple of days to let the woman know that I haven’t become a menu item for our furry little forest pals - wolves, coyotes, bear and all their happy little cousins.. and get gas too

·
Registered
108 Posts
Yep - I carry my InReach Explorer whenever I go anywhere. I started using mine after a rider disappeared in Idaho some years ago and was not found for about 8 mos. Also another rider right near me near Gilroy, California went off the road on a freeway exit and was not found for a couple of months. He was right of Highway 101 along a very busy freeway but no one found him.

·
Super Moderator
980 Posts
Yep - I carry my InReach Explorer whenever I go anywhere. I started using mine after a rider disappeared in Idaho some years ago and was not found for about 8 mos. Also another rider right near me near Gilroy, California went off the road on a freeway exit and was not found for a couple of months. He was right of Highway 101 along a very busy freeway but no one found him.
A lot that can go wrong on a ride and many of those places are well outside of cell phone service range. There was Moto journalist David Gordon Johnson, who disappeared after a test ride. There was also a story of a young teacher who was riding with his buddy and toward the end of their ride, they separated and went their own way. He never made it home and was diabetic. It is worth the peace of mind, even if you only carry the minimum level plan.

With ours, since we have the two, we carry the recreational plan on one and the safety plan on the other, but it is nice that you can move up and down between the levels as needs change.

Rather than having to find a small town or someplace with cell service, you get the cookie crumb trail as long as a map of where various messages were sent from.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 34 Posts