Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Yes it's great to setup sharing and let people follow your route if they want to. It is also nice to send my wife text messages and check in when I am out of cell service.

·
Super Moderator
1,517 Posts
A lot that can go wrong on a ride and many of those places are well outside of cell phone service range. There was Moto journalist David Gordon Johnson, who disappeared after a test ride. There was also a story of a young teacher who was riding with his buddy and toward the end of their ride, they separated and went their own way. He never made it home and was diabetic. It is worth the peace of mind, even if you only carry the minimum level plan.

With ours, since we have the two, we carry the recreational plan on one and the safety plan on the other, but it is nice that you can move up and down between the levels as needs change.

Rather than having to find a small town or someplace with cell service, you get the cookie crumb trail as long as a map of where various messages were sent from.
100% agreement with me, those check in days for me were “back in the day”. Funny how we get insurance on our bikes (ok yes we HAVE to) but people hardly ever think about getting “ insurance “ that could save their life. Sat/Com are the best but, wow really, a one payment of around 250$ for a PLB that’s a deal. And yet not many people have one. I can fully understand not wanting to spend the money on a sat/com and the monthly fees, But really people, folks out there spend 4 times that amount to get a cell phone... I would say instead of spending that money on a farkle spend in on a PLB, if you don’t have one and plan to use your adventure bike for adventures...

·
Registered
122 Posts

·
Super Moderator
980 Posts
It looks like a Redverz tent. My wife and I have one. We never put either of the bikes in it though. We added the extra ground cover and use it for gear, keeping firewood dry and changing, since it is over 6' tall at that point.

·
Super Moderator
1,517 Posts
Who makes that tent AT? I like the atrium. My AT demands the same level of protection.
Cuch has it right

It looks like a Redverz tent. My wife and I have one. We never put either of the bikes in it though. We added the extra ground cover and use it for gear, keeping firewood dry and changing, since it is over 6' tall at that point.

Thanks Cuch

yea there’s a bit of room with JUST the one bike for storage and changing

·
Super Moderator
980 Posts
It looks a little different than ours. I assume yours is one of the newer Expedition II models?

Ours is the previous model. I got a good deal on it since they were changing models and I could do a local pickup.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,517 Posts
It looks a little different than ours. I assume yours is one of the newer Expedition II models?

Ours is the previous model. I got a good deal on it since they were changing models and I could do a local pickup.

Yea I’m pretty sure it’s a Expedition II I’ve had it for almost 6 years now and absolutely LOVE that tent for bike camping. Got the poles for the awning and the footprint for the tent with it too, the ONLY thing I wish it had was screens for the “garage” doors. It has plenty of screens on the sleeping area but none in that storage area. Was thinking of taking it in to a local canvas shop and having some sewn on.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Thanks AT & Cuch. Looks like some nice equipment. The Expedition's in my scan now.

·
Super Moderator
980 Posts
Yea I’m pretty sure it’s a Expedition II I’ve had it for almost 6 years now and absolutely LOVE that tent for bike camping. Got the poles for the awning and the footprint for the tent with it too, the ONLY thing I wish it had was screens for the “garage” doors. It has plenty of screens on the sleeping area but none in that storage area. Was thinking of taking it in to a local canvas shop and having some sewn on.
Only problem with screens for the garage doors is that only the sleeping area has a sealed bottom, so bugs can still get under. We burn repellent in there are night with the doors open to drive the critters out and then zip them down at night.

·
Super Moderator
1,517 Posts
Only problem with screens for the garage doors is that only the sleeping area has a sealed bottom, so bugs can still get under. We burn repellent in there are night with the doors open to drive the critters out and then zip them down at night.

True, crawling ones (usually don’t mind them), but I was thinking more along the lines of keeping mosquitoes and biting flies out when I had the awnings up. Mosquitoes are the unofficial state “bird” of Michigan.

this should give you an idea of the kind we have here..

·
Super Moderator
1,517 Posts
Nice gag gift. You didn't even break the seal on it yet.
Yea gotta get a trapping permit, no limit on the number you can trap, but you know the government ALWAYS gotta make $$$ anyway they can :D :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :D

21 - 34 of 34 Posts