Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Edit : This thread was a mistake, please feel free to lock or delete.

I won't rant, but as is typical for the world now, there is a good deal of misinformation floating around. So I wanted to share what I consider good information, please feel free to reply with any information that you are confident about the source.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Keep humidity higher than 43%. 75% of viruses stay viable in air that is less than 23%. Only about 10% stay viable at 43%+.

Also, my friend who runs the informatics program, a PhD computer science guy, at our university hospital said symptoms are a dry cough and fever. Not sinuses. Not a sore throat.

He said take a deep breath and hold it for 10 seconds. You will notice a difference if you have the virus. That and check your temperature.

This virus can cause lung damage. If you have either symptom go to a doctor immediately.

·
Super Moderator
669 Posts
Hopefully not too pedantic on my part:

Wash and/or sanitize your hands before and after handling dubious surfaces, and do not touch your face.
If I have learned anything from the past two weeks it is how much I subconsciously touch my face

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
669 Posts
Keep humidity higher than 43%. 75% of viruses stay viable in air that is less than 23%. Only about 10% stay viable at 43%+.

Also, my friend who runs the informatics program, a PhD computer science guy, at our university hospital said symptoms are a dry cough and fever. Not sinuses. Not a sore throat.

He said take a deep breath and hold it for 10 seconds. You will notice a difference if you have the virus. That and check your temperature.

This virus can cause lung damage. If you have either symptom go to a doctor immediately.
I think this info has been making the rounds through the medical community. A friend of mine who's eldest works for Kaiser shares a similar link from a Stanford internal memo..

Stanford hospital board internal message.

The new Coronavirus may not show sign of infection for many days. How can one know if he/she is infected? By the time they have fever and/or cough and go to the hospital, the lung is usually 50% Fibrosis and it's too late. Taiwan experts provide a simple self-check that we can do every morning. Take a deep breath and hold your breath for more than 10 seconds. If you complete it successfully without coughing, without discomfort, stiffness or tightness, etc., it proves there is no Fibrosis in the lungs, basically indicates no infection. In critical time, please self-check every morning in an environment with clean air. Serious excellent advice by Japanese doctors treating COVID-19 cases: Everyone should ensure your mouth & throat are moist, never dry. Take a few sips of water every 15 minutes at least. Why? Even if the virus gets into your mouth, drinking water or other liquids will wash them down through your throat and into the stomach. Once there, your stomach acid will kill all the virus. If you don't drink enough water more regularly, the virus can enter your windpipe and into the lungs. That's very dangerous. Please send and share this with family and friends. Take care everyone and may the world recover from this Coronavirus soon. IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT - CORONAVIRUS 1. If you have a runny nose and sputum, you have a common cold 2. Coronavirus pneumonia is a dry cough with no runny nose. 3. This new virus is not heat-resistant and will be killed by a temperature of just 26/27 degrees. It hates the Sun. 4. If someone sneezes with it, it takes about 10 feet before it drops to the ground and is no longer airborne. 5. If it drops on a metal surface it will live for at least 12 hours - so if you come into contact with any metal surface - wash your hands as soon as you can with a bacterial soap. 6. On fabric it can survive for 6-12 hours. normal laundry detergent will kill it. 7. Drinking warm water is effective for all viruses. Try not to drink liquids with ice. 8. Wash your hands frequently as the virus can only live on your hands for 5-10 minutes, but - a lot can happen during that time - you can rub your eyes, pick your nose unwittingly and so on. 9. You should also gargle as a prevention. A simple solution of salt in warm water will suffice. 10. Can't emphasis enough - drink plenty of water! THE SYMPTOMS 1. It will first infect the throat, so you'll have a sore throat lasting 3/4 days 2. The virus then blends into a nasal fluid that enters the trachea and then the lungs, causing pneumonia. This takes about 5/6 days further. 3. With the pneumonia comes high fever and difficulty in breathing. 4. The nasal congestion is not like the normal kind. You feel like you're drowning. It's imperative you then seek immediate attention.

·
Registered
136 Posts
This is a thread that's doomed to fail....it seems that each Country in Europe is doing a different thing and there are many deaths. The UK is doing something different to most others...we have deaths, few at the moment but no doubt many more to come. Experts are offering different opinion on it. They can't all be right.
Drinking water every 15 minutes has been debunked as incorrect by many many experts.

·
Super Moderator
1,173 Posts
I had good intentions, but I agree, feel free to lock or delete this thread.

Let's end with this link to the World Health Organization :

Personally so far I see nothing really harmful here, yea a little disinformation with the “Stanford hospital memo” and I’d like to actually see Michael Osterholm’s credentials but so far not to bad..
It would be more helpful if any info posted had a link back to the ORIGINAL source, an accredited source and NOT a I have a friend who knows someone that has a cousin who’s daughter or a self claimed expert that the internet is chocked full of or omnipresent “Facebook posts”
if we could stick to known credible sources that would be much better and more helpful to our fellow members. IE. you read something on a government site or accredited news, CDC, DOD, Ministry, MOD, etcetera. Just post a link to the info.

·
Registered
136 Posts
It's a weird time for sure. Here in the UK we are taking a different approach to the lockdown that is happening in most of Europe. Time will tell whether it is correct. A morning news programme have a variety of 'experts' on including a virologist, someone with lots of degrees in lots of stuff (he has a lot to say and most gets shot down in flames) and a GP (MD in the states I think) The host mentions something like 'So what advice can we give?' and there are 3 or 4 differing views. Madness. Our Govt have a team of experts. These people have been doing this for decades and have been Govt experts for years....thru both Labour and Conservative Govts. The Govt is heeding their advice and passing it out to us, the great unwashed. So why would a panel of half baked knowitalls be given airtime to pass more and differing advice to the mumsnet bafoons.
World's going mad.

·
Super Moderator
1,173 Posts
It's a weird time for sure. Here in the UK we are taking a different approach to the lockdown that is happening in most of Europe. Time will tell whether it is correct. A morning news programme have a variety of 'experts' on including a virologist, someone with lots of degrees in lots of stuff (he has a lot to say and most gets shot down in flames) and a GP (MD in the states I think) The host mentions something like 'So what advice can we give?' and there are 3 or 4 differing views. Madness. Our Govt have a team of experts. These people have been doing this for decades and have been Govt experts for years....thru both Labour and Conservative Govts. The Govt is heeding their advice and passing it out to us, the great unwashed. So why would a panel of half baked knowitalls be given airtime to pass more and differing advice to the mumsnet bafoons.
World's going mad.
It’s the simple “look what I’m doing for you, aren’t we the best” this whole situation is very fluid it can and probably will run out in various directions. But knowledge is knowledge, and all of this should be taken with a grain of salt as they say. A don’t trust in one source, but all good sources will have a point of truth attitude..

·
Super Moderator
669 Posts
Personally so far I see nothing really harmful here, yea a little disinformation with the “Stanford hospital memo” and I’d like to actually see Michael Osterholm’s credentials but so far not to bad..
It would be more helpful if any info posted had a link back to the ORIGINAL source, an accredited source and NOT a I have a friend who knows someone that has a cousin who’s daughter or a self claimed expert that the internet is chocked full of or omnipresent “Facebook posts”
if we could stick to known credible sources that would be much better and more helpful to our fellow members. IE. you read something on a government site or accredited news, CDC, DOD, Ministry, MOD, etcetera. Just post a link to the info.
It also shows that even those who work as medical professionals are not getting the clear info they need.

What I posted above is from a long time friend of mine and his daughter does work for Kaiser. If medical professionals can't even keep track of the flow of info, some correct and some not, it is damned hard for anyone else to do so. :(

·
Super Moderator
1,173 Posts
It also shows that even those who work as medical professionals are not getting the clear info they need.

What I posted above is from a long time friend of mine and his daughter does work for Kaiser. If medical professionals can't even keep track of the flow of info, some correct and some not, it is damned hard for anyone else to do so. :(

Agreed
Also the problem of people starving for new information and medical professionals trying their best to quell people’s fears..

·
Super Moderator
669 Posts
Agreed
Also the problem of people starving for new information and medical professionals trying their best to quell people’s fears..
We just got this announcement from Colorado Gov yesterday...

My wife asked if we had been in one of those counties in the past week on our motorcycles.

We had not, but found out one of my mother's caregivers had been over the weekend.

Ugh.

·
Super Moderator
1,173 Posts
We just got this announcement from Colorado Gov yesterday...

My wife asked if we had been in one of those counties in the past week on our motorcycles.

We had not, but found out one of my mother's caregivers had been over the weekend.

Ugh.

Sorry to hear, I hope all turns out well in the end, please keep me posted..

·
Super Moderator
669 Posts
Sorry to hear, I hope all turns out well in the end, please keep me posted..
Thanks! They are young and fearless and unafraid, but there is always the risk of impact on others that you interact with. There is no way to do the job and maintain at least 6' distance as the Colorado Department of Public Health & Environment is asking from people who visited those counties in the past week. So I had to cancel that shift and likely ongoing ones for that caregiver for the next 7-10. Probably an overabundance of caution and maybe just kicking the can down the road on the inevitable. But you do your best :)

·
Registered
856 Posts
All: If you have not determined by now, then very, very soon you may realize this is happening everywhere in North America. Of course, this has already been strongly reflected in the financial markets. Try to enjoy the next multiple weeks of peace (like riding the AT?) and control "social contact".

·
Super Moderator
669 Posts
All: If you have not determined by now, then very, very soon you may realize this is happening everywhere in North America. Of course, this has already been strongly reflected in the financial markets. Try to enjoy the next multiple weeks of peace (like riding the AT?) and control "social contact".
I noticed that Prime Minister Justin Trudeau had closed the borders to US citizens. My niece who is attending classes in Washington State was considering a road trip to Canada to include Vancouver, Jasper, and Banff. That is definitely off the table now.

Though my wife and I have been trying to convince her to just stay home in Washington State and not travel elsewhere. Washington State has been among the hardest-hit areas in the USA.

·
Registered
856 Posts
So far the U.S. is exempted:

= = =

That said, let's get it under control folks. No kissing strangers.

1 - 20 of 112 Posts