Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi fellas I’d appreciate it if someone could explain the purpose of the exhaust valves and what there do to the engine and performance of the bike

·
Registered
174 Posts
It's my understanding that it broadens the power curve. A small exhaust will make low end torque but fall flat at high rpm. A large exhaust will be flat at low rpm but make big power at high rpm. The valve is closed for low end torque and opens at high rpm to make more power. It also serves to make the exhaust quiet under normal riding and loud only when you wind it up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's my understanding that it broadens the power curve. A small exhaust will make low end torque but fall flat at high rpm. A large exhaust will be flat at low rpm but make big power at high rpm. The valve is closed for low end torque and opens at high rpm to make more power. It also serves to make the exhaust quiet under normal riding and loud only when you wind it up
It's my understanding that it broadens the power curve. A small exhaust will make low end torque but fall flat at high rpm. A large exhaust will be flat at low rpm but make big power at high rpm. The valve is closed for low end torque and opens at high rpm to make more power. It also serves to make the exhaust quiet under normal riding and loud only when you wind it up.
thank you for your reply, it’s as I thought it’s a vital part of the exhaust. I’m after an aftermarket exhaust, I’ve been told by the exhaust manufacturer I will have to remove the exhaust valves and disable the servos. This must have a impact on the engine running so does this mean I’m going to have to Dyno the bike and get a power commander. All sounds very expensive

·
Registered
CRF1100 DCT 2021
211 Posts
all the usual suspects: Akrapovic, leo Vince, Remus... they all may be 1 or 2 kg less and a little louder than the OEM, maybe give you 1hp more but it's mostly about looks; the one you like the most
any they all should be really easy to fit on if they are made specifically for your bike model

·
Registered
174 Posts
all the usual suspects: Akrapovic, leo Vince, Remus... they all may be 1 or 2 kg less and a little louder than the OEM, maybe give you 1hp more but it's mostly about looks; the one you like the most
any they all should be really easy to fit on if they are made specifically for your bike model
Agree. Shedding weight and better looks/sound are the benefit. Any top end power gain will likely be offset by a small loss at the bottom end.

I don't think the bike needs an exhaust, but the Akrapovic is lighter and dead sexy.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Waste of money IMHO and my experience from my 3 Varaderos, if you are looking for power increase. It will give you nothing. Aesthetics is a personal matter. To me, none of the aftermarket end cans matches the OEM aesthetically; but that's just me. On the weigh front, 1-1.5 kg difference? for 800 Euros or so? I can loose myself 2 or more kg for nothing and gain some health benefits in the process.

On the Varadero the exhausts (2 of them) where some 18 kg. Replacing them would save you 12 kg easily.... ok, that was noticeable. But on the AT, it is not worth the cost.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have found out that a loud exhausts just interferes with your helmet comms and ends up giving your buddies a headache behind you.
However they defiantly sound good and look the part.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts