Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a new Delkevic Carbon fibre end can for AT DCT, did 4,300 miles in europe in June July, on the way back to ferry it blew the side out after an hour thrash on Autobahn at between 70 90mph. So lesson is dont buy cheap crap.IT can bite you in the arse. Or fanny if you are from over the pond.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Carbon fibre cans are not recommended for the big cc twins (especially V twins) due to the stronger pulses

ian

·
Registered
191 Posts
Bought a new Delkevic Carbon fibre end can for AT DCT, did 4,300 miles in europe in June July, on the way back to ferry it blew the side out after an hour thrash on Autobahn at between 70 90mph. So lesson is dont buy cheap crap.IT can bite you in the arse. Or fanny if you are from over the pond.
I think inexpensive cans are OK if not carbon fiber.

Metal Delkevic & Pipe Werx cans have held up fine for me. Inexpensive and I liked the looks and sound.

Yours isn't the first tale I've read of CF can failure though.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I'd be curious to see a photo. Do you figure it was a heat issue? Defect?
I have 30,000 kilometres on my Delkevic polished stainless steel and it still purrs along great. Hasn't even changed the tone or volume much.
Maybe you had a bad one? I found their customer service very quick and helpful when I bought mine. Might be worth checking on a warranty claim.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I think there is an issue also with different grades and processes that are used to manufacture carbon fibre. I have had this experience when purchasing a road bike (the human powered sort) and having to get a replacement frame due to faults in the manufacturing of this frame that would have resulted in it breaking. I did a fair amount of research on this because it took the bike company ages to get back to me and decide if they were going to provide a free replacement and I was getting paranoid that they were going to try and blame me. Basically all carbon fibre is not equal. Aerospace grade is made of the highest grade carbon weave and manufacture in high tech factories that have all sorts of QA procedures for obvious reasons. Items like push bike frames and non-racing motorcycle parts are not made to this same standard and can be effected by all sorts of issues like too much/not enough resin, poor quality carbon weave and all sorts of other issues around curing etc. If I were you I would try and get a replacement from delkavic as failure of this exhaust might be due to the inattention of the QA worker who made it and this might not be the case with a replacement exhaust. My replacement bike frame that I got is still going strong and appears to not have the same manufactering faults that were present in my first frame.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts