Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spent some time at the Mpls Motorcycle Show (Progressive) this weekend looking carefully at Africa Twin and the VFR1200X. I've been watching these bikes for a while. When the 1200X came out overseas, I was waiting. I even wrote Honda about anticipated US arrival (years ago). I thought I would buy it immediately when it showed. Now the Africa Twin is here.

As a left, below knee amputee, I need that DCT (otherwise... modify for shifting with electronic shifter or similar). Currently riding an FJR1300 AE with the auto clutch. It's a great bike, but I'm longing for something that will get me off the beaten path a little more as I like to do (but nervously) on my longer touring rides.

I liked the ergo on both bikes. Both offer the DCT I need for adaptive riding. I found some of the guts around the left footpeg pushed my heel/foot out on the peg. It was a little awkward, but I'm sure I could modify the peg. With prosthetic foot, I don't have the option of rotating my foot or adjusting ankle position, so the footpeg/bike has to be a perfect fit. I've done that with my FJR and it's second nature getting the prosthetic on/off the peg.

The Africa Twin was a perfect setup stock. I might customize seat, but otherwise let the mileage dictate farkles.

Any thoughts on the above?
VFR1200X vs. Africa Twin pros/cons.

My mix of riding is short and extended touring. Backroads and county roads. I like to explore off the beaten path. I generally stick to the pavement, but I do venture off onto the dirt whenever something strikes my fancy... especially on my circumnavigation tours around Lake Superior. I try to do one every year as work/time allows.

Looking forward to learning a lot of this forum before I take the plunge on either bike.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Before I bought my AT, I considered both of those bikes. The VFR has so much to like: shaft drive, lots of power from the engine, and the more road friendly rims. I'm not a hardcore off road rider (although I want to do more), so I questioned whether or not I needed something like the AT. For me, it came down to ergos and comfort. The AT felt better to me and easier to handle with its lower COG and weight. You have already stated that this is not a concern for you, so what I can tell you is that I was pleasantly surprised with my bike's road manners. It's been much nicer on the street than I expected, and I look forward to being able to do more off road with it (and not have to lift an extra 100 pounds of bike when I eventually drop it). I hope others here can chime in with their experiences and offer better input. I think you will be happy with either, as the DCT is terrific.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Boompa2 you are an inspiration to others.

Love your adapt and overcome attitude. Bring that bike to AZ I'll ride with you, and you can help me lift that heavy sled up when I drop it.

Happy Trails

·
Registered
97 Posts
I also looked at both of these. For me the 1200 had a much better engine, and road manners, but was just too heavy for the significant amount of urban riding I have to do. The AT is more of a compromise on the road due to its off-road focus but is a little easier to handle in traffic. Both make good tourers I think. I went for the AT, but on another day could easier you gone for the 1200 especially as in the UK there are plenty of cheap used bikes around. The DCT is great.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts