Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the results of my recent experiments with short screens.
(The raison d'etre for the experiments is two fold. Horrendous beffeting particularly around and underneath the ears with either of the Honda screens - even with Swegotech fork shields and/or Wolfgang's Adjustable risers and also terrible peak vibration with my favoured Nolan N40 Classic Full helmet)

Fist this is one from Slipscreens in the UK - nice and cheap at £38
Good result in terms of peak vibration but bad ear buffeting.

So this is the same screen cut down with a coping saw (by me)
Excellent result by the way with no peak vibration and buffeting greatly reduced.

But PJM is the same size as me and got great results with an MRA Vario sports screen and X-creen clampon deflector.
My results were worse than the above DIY cut down screen but what was worse was that because of the fluting on the MRA screen it prevented the Garmin Zumo being mounted in the obvious position on the 13mm bar.

and also the deflector is a poor fit on the MRA screen because of the fluting.

So then I tried the deflector on my cut down Slipscreen - and it re-introduced peak vibration and anyway was an even worse fit at the clamps. But at least the Garmin sat nicely behind it.

Then I tried my final experiment - and this is one I had high hopes for. I reasoned that the cutouts in the screen are really only for big screens to prevent the vacuum behind them, so the small cut down screens should/might work better with no cutouts. Wrong - it made matters worse when I taped them all up with gaffa tape.

So for me a cheap screen hacked down with a coping saw and used without Batzen risers or Swegotech fork shieldsand used with the rather wide N40 helmet produces no peak vibration and the least ear buffeting. It puts my head in nearly clean air.
However for winter I would like to try and find something that keeps more of the weather off me. so my next experiments are to use the deflector on the stndard and touring screens. I don't hold out a great deal of hope, as I am convinced most of the buffeting is coming around the edges of the screens. The last hope will then be the Madstad screen which mounts forwards of the fairing and so can be wider.

Mike

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have not yet taken delivery, and am quite interested to hear at what speeds the buffeting occurs and is it with any helmet or only with the peaked helmets

·
Registered
295 Posts
The buffeting is standard but the vibration type of buffeting is clearly linked to helmets with visors. With my current set up I am in virtually silent air with the Neotec. With the ADV TC2 I am getting slight peak vibration above 55-60mph. It is marginal and goes if I duck down just a bit. However if I put my Drift Ghost S on a Ram mount just peeping out of the gap above the MRA sports screen and below the MRA X Creen sports deflector the peak vibration is gone. It must be such a fine line. I noted on a couple of other forums people had dealt with the vibration by reinforcing the peak in a variety of ways. I might experiment with making some form of device to mount in the gap and see if my theory is correct. What a faff.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have always found that a shorter screen is better than a tall one with various bikes.Less turbulence,more airflow but it is clean air,with less buffeting.Never really understood why most people seem to go for a taller screen on their bikes.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have always found that a shorter screen is better than a tall one with various bikes.Less turbulence,more airflow but it is clean air,with less buffeting.Never really understood why most people seem to go for a taller screen on their bikes.
Because when you are riding through a wet UK winter with salt on the roads, your visor ends up filthy in no time. If you are riding into a low sun this is positively dangerous. A mate who is about 3 inches shorter than me lowered the seat on his Versys, raised the screen and put a vario deflector on top. On one winter run I was stopping every couple of miles to clean my visor and his did not have a speck on it. He was still looking over the screen by the way, so there is that magic point where the air flow is smooth and just going over the helmet. I'm still going to try and find it, but as I say, I think it's extra width rather than height that I'm going to try.
Mike

·
Registered
133 Posts
Nice report mike. Did you get the manufacturer of your short screen to make a cut down version, as my coping saw skills are way below the job you did on yours, and i would prefer it if i could just buy the shorter version! Have you also tried the seat in the lower position with a air hawk yet?

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice report mike. Did you get the manufacturer of your short screen to make a cut down version, as my coping saw skills are way below the job you did on yours, and i would prefer it if i could just buy the shorter version! Have you also tried the seat in the lower position with a air hawk yet?
He asked me to call him as he wanted to make one like my cut down one. I just got his answerphone so emailed him twice nut no response so far.
Nah - I don't think I'm going to need my Airhawk - but if I go away to Sweden I might take it and then I will probably be too high so I will move the seat down.
Mike

·
Registered
89 Posts
Interesting thread, Mike. Not sure that the gaffer tape option will catch on, though. Perhaps black tape would enhance the aesthetics? I think you'll need to go with a seasonal swap... low, minimal screen like your cut down option, in summer, when clean airflow is welcome, and a higher, more protective screen in winter. It may be a case of putting up with winter buffeting as the price of keeping warm and having a clear visor.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Interesting thread, Mike. Not sure that the gaffer tape option will catch on, though. Perhaps black tape would enhance the aesthetics? I think you'll need to go with a seasonal swap... low, minimal screen like your cut down option, in summer, when clean airflow is welcome, and a higher, more protective screen in winter. It may be a case of putting up with winter buffeting as the price of keeping warm and having a clear visor.
Yes - my thoughts exactly. The problem is I do a lot of touring in very poor weather and the peaked helmet is such a big safety consideration in those conditions, so I would like to get to a solution.
Mike

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hi Mike,

Thanks for all the effort.
My normal 'line of site' line is just over the top of the screen. On all bikes it has worked for me. I just recently changed to a new Bell helmet and for the first time picking up a bit of a vibration. It certainly is not bad, but its there. I have been toying with the idea of taping up a small section, just to test a theory. Maybe you would like to give it a try as well?

I have seen a proper deflector somewhere, but I think tape will work for testing. The picture shows where I was thinking of placing some tape.

Attachments

Reactions: pvanryn

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Mike,

Thanks for all the effort.
My normal 'line of site' line is just over the top of the screen. On all bikes it has worked for me. I just recently changed to a new Bell helmet and for the first time picking up a bit of a vibration. It certainly is not bad, but its there. I have been toying with the idea of taping up a small section, just to test a theory. Maybe you would like to give it a try as well?

I have seen a proper deflector somewhere, but I think tape will work for testing. The picture shows where I was thinking of placing some tape.
Yes I also think that if you use a wide helmet then this is where most of the problem comes from. These are of course the cutouts necessary to accommodate the handguards. When I get round to testing the Honda screens with the deflector, I will also try some tape on these cutouts.
Mike

·
Registered
33 Posts
Me too. I am currently using a cut down stock screen which I find very good. Previously I used a MRA Vario screen. A week ago tried switching back to the vario screen as it is now winter over here and I thought it would keep me warmer. I changed back to the cut down screen after 10 mins. The big screen in front of me made me feel like I was in a car. Gone was the feeling of immediacy and the connection with the road. Maybe if I was doing long days on the motorway a big screen would be best but that's just not me.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Just put another 120 miles or so in the bike. On the way I was on motorways and with the raffia at about 75mph. I had raised the deflector one click higher and one click more vertical. I was getting peak vibration. On the way back two clicks lower and one click back to the more sloping position. A dramatic improvement in peak vibration and much more comfortable. Sometimes I think I am being too fussy but the journey down was quite gruelling and it just goes to show how something like a small but irritating vibration can drain you and as such must be quite detrimental to your concentration. I will now look at reinforcing the peak to stop it vibrating.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I wonder what it would be like to have the tall Honda windscreen, with the Batzen brackets in reverse, so that you can lower the bottom below the headlights. Just a thought.

·
Registered
5 Posts
That has been my experience as well. (6’2”)

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That has been my experience as well. (6’2”)
  • Able to ride with visor up
  • no flies on visor
  • No rain or snow on visor
  • No salt spray on visor in UK winter
  • Warmer chest area in UK winter
Mike

1 - 16 of 16 Posts