Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
purchased '22 ATAS DCT ES 3weeks ago, and today decided to buy the "Extended warranty" while it's still "cheap" (not :rolleyes:) @ CAD$1,415.00 for 48 months ($29/month or a buck/day).
So 12mnths of Honda new bike warranty + 48mnths of extended...for the total of 5yrs.

Reading through fine print of the contract, and of course "not everything is covered", but it's a piece of mind for 5yrs, and it's a $24K bike and everything is so **** expensive to fix nowadays.

Here's what's NOT covered under 48mnths Extended Warranty;
  1. battery and cables
  2. vacuum and coolant hoses
  3. exhaust system c/w catalytic converter
  4. all non electronic emission control components (what components would that be?)
  5. oxygen sensors
  6. lights (light bulbs, sealed beams, lenses, headlights) alignment (not very clear, are they NOT covering "alignment" or are they NOT covering sealed LED headlight assembly? Does that mean taillights are all covered? If they don't cover the headlight assembly it will be $2K out of pocket expense) :rolleyes:
  7. horn and horn switch (wow a $10.00 horn not covered) :unsure:
  8. micro antenna (is that on GoldWing or does AT has one as well?)
  9. constricted fuel injector nozzles
  10. external shift linkage(s)
  11. shifter bushing/boots
  12. shift cable
  13. engine thermostat
  14. timing belt cover when damaged by mechanical breakdown
  15. fuses
  16. squeaks/rattles :D
  17. tires
  18. environmental disposal charges
  19. the entire vehicle body including the frame, chrome, sheet metal, plastic components, mirrors, center stand, footpeg and kickstand (footpeg should be covered, also if it breaks off the rider may crash and suffer serious injuries)
  20. audio system, radio, cassette player :)oops:), CD/CB/MP3 and communication equipment
  21. ALL accessories - (wonder what accessories would that be? they should have listed everything?)
  22. Servo motor (is that the DCT shifting motor?)
  23. Brake discs / drums
  24. Suspension dampers (this might get expensive?)
  25. Front forks (I asked the dealer and he said springs are not covered, but other front suspension componets might be covered...he was not 100% sure)

Here's what IS covered under 48mnths Extended Warranty;
  • I guess we can only assume that EVERYTHING ELSE (including TFT) that is not on the above list WILL BE COVERED ...but something tells me, there will be more exceptions, if and when it happens :(...here is where the Loyalty with your Dealer will help, if you have a good relationship, dealer may fight with Honda Warranty department on your behalf.

Here's some GOOD stuff about the warranty:
  • In case of breakdown Honda Plus Roadside Assistance is available to you in continental US and Canada
  • Warranty is transferable to the new owner if you sell the bike
  • they will dispatch a service truck to; battery boost you, deliver 5L of gas, flat tire tow only, winching and lost or broken key
  • towing services to nearest Honda dealer within 150km of breakdown site, in US and Canada
  • $100 reimbursement for bus, taxi, train (if you can't hitch a ride with a tow truck, I guess)
  • max of $500 for Trip interruption, for hotel, meals, car rental, taxi etc
  • call Honda Plus at least 2 weeks prior to your trip, and they will send you a helpful touring information about the route, nearest Honda services, places of interest, computerized trip map, etc etc
  • Honda Plus will make every effort to get a message to your family, friend or business associates
  • Owner will be asked to provide records of "Maintenance of the vehicle, as per schedule in the manual" i.e. receipts for filters, oil, mileage service records etc" meaning owners can do their own maintenance

·
Premium Member
2022 CRF1100 ATAS ES DCT
2,422 Posts
I am considering an extended warranty myself. Here we have to have the bike serviced at a dealer for the warranty so is something which I will have to weigh up before deciding.

In the uk we only get up to a 2 year extension although we do get a 2 year standard warranty, so 4 years total.
Cost for the extra 2 years is
Tire Wheel Light Product Automotive tire

Items covered

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting

Exclusions.
Font Number Document Screenshot

Also roadside assistance

Font Number Screenshot

Cover includes. (but seems no obligation)

Font Rectangle Circle Art Number

You can also take out a further extension for bikes between 2 and 10 years with I think similar cover except max value per claim is £3000.

cost is
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motorcycle

·
Super Moderator
10,164 Posts
purchased '22 ATAS DCT ES 3weeks ago, and today decided to buy the "Extended warranty" while it's still "cheap" (not :rolleyes:) @ CAD$1,415.00 for 48 months ($29/month or a buck/day).
So 12mnths of Honda new bike warranty + 48mnths of extended...for the total of 5yrs.

Reading through fine print of the contract, and of course "not everything is covered", but it's a piece of mind for 5yrs, and it's a $24K bike and everything is so **** expensive to fix nowadays.

Here's what's NOT covered under 48mnths Extended Warranty;
  1. battery and cables
  2. vacuum and coolant hoses
  3. exhaust system c/w catalytic converter
  4. all non electronic emission control components (what components would that be?)
  5. oxygen sensors
  6. lights (light bulbs, sealed beams, lenses, headlights) alignment (not very clear, are they NOT covering "alignment" or are they NOT covering sealed LED headlight assembly? Does that mean taillights are all covered? If they don't cover the headlight assembly it will be $2-3K out of pocket expense) :rolleyes:
  7. horn and horn switch (wow a $10.00 horn not covered) :unsure:
  8. micro antenna (is that on GoldWing or does AT has one as well?)
  9. constricted fuel injector nozzles
  10. external shift linkage(s)
  11. shifter bushing/boots
  12. shift cable
  13. engine thermostat
  14. timing belt cover when damaged by mechanical breakdown
  15. fuses
  16. squeaks/rattles :D
  17. tires
  18. environmental disposal charges
  19. the entire vehicle body including the frame, chrome, sheet metal, plastic components, mirrors, center stand, footpeg and kickstand (footpeg should be covered, also if it breaks off the rider may crash and suffer serious injuries)
  20. audio system, radio, cassette player :)oops:), CD/CB/MP3 and communication equipment
  21. ALL accessories - (wonder what accessories would that be? they should have listed everything?)
  22. Servo motor (is that the DCT shifting motor?)
  23. Brake discs / drums
  24. Suspension dampers (this might get expensive?)
  25. Front forks (I asked the dealer and he said springs are not covered, but other front suspension componets might be covered...he was not 100% sure)

Here's what IS covered under 48mnths Extended Warranty;
  • I guess we can only assume that EVERYTHING ELSE (including TFT) that is not on the above list WILL BE COVERED ...but something tells me, there will be more exceptions, if and when it happens :(...here is where the Loyalty with your Dealer will help, if you have a good relationship, dealer may fight with Honda Warranty department on your behalf.

Here's some GOOD stuff about the warranty:
  • In case of breakdown Honda Plus Roadside Assistance is available to you in continental US and Canada
  • they will dispatch a service truck to; battery boost you, deliver 5L of gas, flat tire tow only, winching and lost or broken key
  • towing services to nearest Honda dealer within 150km of breakdown site, in US and Canada
  • $100 reimbursement for bus, taxi, train (if you can't hitch a ride with a tow truck, I guess)
  • max of $500 for Trip interruption, for hotel, meals, car rental, taxi etc
  • call Honda Plus at least 2 weeks prior to your trip, and they will send you a helpful touring information about the route, nearest Honda services, places of interest, computerized trip map, etc etc
  • Honda Plus will make every effort to get a message to your family, friend or business associates
  • Owner will be asked to provide records of "Maintenance of the vehicle, as per schedule in the manual" i.e. receipts for filters, oil, mileage service records etc" meaning owners can do their own maintenance
Yeah, servo motor not covered? That is a little cheap of Honda. It is not like the rider has direct control over it. What if a firmware update bug burns it out?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am considering an extended warranty myself. Here we have to have the bike serviced at a dealer for the warranty so is something which I will have to weigh up before deciding.

In the uk we only get up to a 2 year extension although we do get a 2 year standard warranty, so 4 years total.
Cost for the extra 2 years is
View attachment 74702

Items covered

View attachment 74703

Exclusions.
View attachment 74704

Also roadside assistance

View attachment 74706

Cover includes. (but seems no obligation)

View attachment 74707

You can also take out a further extension for bikes between 2 and 10 years with I think similar cover except max value per claim is £3000.

cost is
View attachment 74708
of course UK coverages are somewhat different then Canada / US, so much for Honda Global consistency :rolleyes: also it seems Honda Service book maintenance schedule is tailored to "help" the Warranty department, meaning they shortened the intervals for certain services, so they can say "Well you didn't replace the cambelt once a year" ;
  • noticed the UK didn't exclude Suspension F&R, TFT display, Servo motor, ALL accessories, engine thermostat, timing belt cover, oxygen sensors, micro antenna, vacuum and coolant hoses, sealed beams headlights (probably LED's)
  • ...but they do cover your horn (Lucky you)
  • UK Roadside assistance only covers UK?...should at least cover Europe and Middle East...if ours covers the whole US and Canada

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Liechtenstein is there, all the rest probably not in EU or deemed a bit remote I suppose.
yeah it's common for Insurance companies to exclude some "tricky" zones, I remember it was hard to find a Car rental company in Germany, that would allow you to travel a few countries with high car theft, like Italy for example.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
In short, at least the Canadian warranty coverage comes up short compared to major global regions. We are like, dawg food or sumthin'.
yup I never thought I'll be getting Ext Warr on HONDA...but things have changed and at cad$120/hr service labor rates plus a very expensive Honda parts, I figure it might be worth the expense, and at cad$29/month it's really a cheap insurance, (22 Euros or US$)

...it's one of those things, if you don't get the warranty - things will start failing right after the first 12mnths...I personally hope my #4th Honda will be as reliable as my previous Honda's, and let's hope I never have any major failures (y)

1 - 20 of 43 Posts