Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
purchased '22 ATAS DCT ES 3weeks ago, and today decided to buy the "Extended warranty" while it's still "cheap" (not :rolleyes:) @ CAD$1,415.00 for 48 months ($29/month or a buck/day).
So 12mnths of Honda new bike warranty + 48mnths of extended...for the total of 5yrs.

Reading through fine print of the contract, and of course "not everything is covered", but it's a piece of mind for 5yrs, and it's a $24K bike and everything is so **** expensive to fix nowadays.

Here's what's NOT covered under 48mnths Extended Warranty;
  1. battery and cables
  2. vacuum and coolant hoses
  3. exhaust system c/w catalytic converter
  4. all non electronic emission control components (what components would that be?)
  5. oxygen sensors
  6. lights (light bulbs, sealed beams, lenses, headlights) alignment (not very clear, are they NOT covering "alignment" or are they NOT covering sealed LED headlight assembly? Does that mean taillights are all covered? If they don't cover the headlight assembly it will be $2K out of pocket expense) :rolleyes:
  7. horn and horn switch (wow a $10.00 horn not covered) :unsure:
  8. micro antenna (is that on GoldWing or does AT has one as well?)
  9. constricted fuel injector nozzles
  10. external shift linkage(s)
  11. shifter bushing/boots
  12. shift cable
  13. engine thermostat
  14. timing belt cover when damaged by mechanical breakdown
  15. fuses
  16. squeaks/rattles :D
  17. tires
  18. environmental disposal charges
  19. the entire vehicle body including the frame, chrome, sheet metal, plastic components, mirrors, center stand, footpeg and kickstand (footpeg should be covered, also if it breaks off the rider may crash and suffer serious injuries)
  20. audio system, radio, cassette player :)oops:), CD/CB/MP3 and communication equipment
  21. ALL accessories - (wonder what accessories would that be? they should have listed everything?)
  22. Servo motor (is that the DCT shifting motor?)
  23. Brake discs / drums
  24. Suspension dampers (this might get expensive?)
  25. Front forks (I asked the dealer and he said springs are not covered, but other front suspension componets might be covered...he was not 100% sure)

Here's what IS covered under 48mnths Extended Warranty;
  • I guess we can only assume that EVERYTHING ELSE (including TFT) that is not on the above list WILL BE COVERED ...but something tells me, there will be more exceptions, if and when it happens :(...here is where the Loyalty with your Dealer will help, if you have a good relationship, dealer may fight with Honda Warranty department on your behalf.

Here's some GOOD stuff about the warranty:
  • In case of breakdown Honda Plus Roadside Assistance is available to you in continental US and Canada
  • they will dispatch a service truck to; battery boost you, deliver 5L of gas, flat tire tow only, winching and lost or broken key
  • towing services to nearest Honda dealer within 150km of breakdown site, in US and Canada
  • $100 reimbursement for bus, taxi, train (if you can't hitch a ride with a tow truck, I guess)
  • max of $500 for Trip interruption, for hotel, meals, car rental, taxi etc
  • call Honda Plus at least 2 weeks prior to your trip, and they will send you a helpful touring information about the route, nearest Honda services, places of interest, computerized trip map, etc etc
  • Honda Plus will make every effort to get a message to your family, friend or business associates
  • Owner will be asked to provide records of "Maintenance of the vehicle, as per schedule in the manual" i.e. receipts for filters, oil, mileage service records etc" meaning owners can do their own maintenance
The "not covered" list sounds like it covers both two and four wheeled vehicles.

·
Registered
135 Posts
My dealer I bought the at from explained to me a clever mechanic you trust will be able to get most if not all the bike covered by claiming things that are covered are causing the issues with the things not covered and can word things certain ways so would get it covered.

Basically find a good mechanic you trust who is clever and willing to work for ya.

·
Administrator
4,209 Posts
My dealer I bought the at from explained to me a clever mechanic you trust will be able to get most if not all the bike covered by claiming things that are covered are causing the issues with the things not covered and can word things certain ways so would get it covered.

Basically, find a good mechanic you trust who is clever and willing to work for ya.
This is true. For example, the warranty says that it covers brake calipers, but doesn't cover discs.

On my original 2016, I had an issue with the rear brake caliper sticking/dragging. Honda replaced it under warranty and since the warranted item also caused wear and warping to the rear disk, they also replaced the rear disk under warranty as well.

Good dealerships know how to work Honda (or other brands) and get things covered for their customers.

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
This is true. For example, the warranty says that it covers brake calipers, but doesn't cover discs.

On my original 2016, I had an issue with the rear brake caliper sticking/dragging. Honda replaced it under warranty and since the warranted item also caused wear and warping to the rear disk, they also replaced the rear disk under warranty as well.

Good dealerships know how to work Honda (or other brands) and get things covered for their customers.
I heard similar stories where "if you are nice and polite, and repeat customer" dealer will go an extra step to save you some money and get you back riding quicker.
The key is: "stay calm, be nice, it's not the end of the world, things break down and they will be fixed"...and I usually bring some coffee and doughnuts for the service guys...small gestures like that go a long way 👍🙂

·
Administrator
4,209 Posts
I heard similar stories where "if you are nice and polite, and repeat customer" dealer will go an extra step to save you some money and get you back riding quicker.
The key is: "stay calm, be nice, it's not the end of the world, things break down and they will be fixed"...and I usually bring some coffee and doughnuts for the service guys...and small gestures like that go a long way 👍🙂
Both the dealer will and the manufacturer will go that extra step for repeat customers. Manufacturers will often cover things under the "goodwill" category for repeat customers when the warranty doesn't cover it.

Coffee, donuts, cookies, and stuff like that are all nice gestures. But as you said you have to remain patient, calm, and understanding. Otherwise, you will just have a reputation of being the angry guy who brings donuts to cover for their poor behavior and that won't help much :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Personally I have found that the extended warranty is near worthless (at least in the USA). It boils down that only Manufacturer Defects are covered...so you are basically buying insurance to Honda's incompetence. Fork seals - not covered. Stator cover oil leak - not covered. Wheel bearings - not covered - kinda get this one. Leaking dct filter cover - not covered.

Your mileage may vary - but this was my experience - Honda Care rep actually said - unless we issue a recall notice - it isn't covered.

Disappointing.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Personally I have found that the extended warranty is near worthless (at least in the USA). It boils down that only Manufacturer Defects are covered...so you are basically buying insurance to Honda's incompetence. Fork seals - not covered. Stator cover oil leak - not covered. Wheel bearings - not covered - kinda get this one. Leaking dct filter cover - not covered.

Your mileage may vary - but this was my experience - Honda Care rep actually said - unless we issue a recall notice - it isn't covered.

Disappointing.
You should go to a trusted mechanic first get them to diagnose the issue and the cause. If you have proof by a mechanic it's something covered they have to cover it

·
Registered
2020 CRF1100 - ATAS DCT
23 Posts
Noraly can come and visit beautiful Alberta, I'll show her some nice twisties in my backyard
View attachment 74716
View attachment 74717
View attachment 74715
View attachment 74714
Would love to know where those roads are!!!
Trying to convince my buddies (non-ADV types) that we should tour Western Canada instead of always headin' south. Don't get me wrong, I just did a loop around Colorado and it was spectacular, but I'm sure the Cdn Rockies have a ton to offer as well....

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Would love to know where those roads are!!!
Trying to convince my buddies (non-ADV types) that we should tour Western Canada instead of always headin' south. Don't get me wrong, I just did a loop around Colorado and it was spectacular, but I'm sure the Cdn Rockies have a ton to offer as well....
Ha, ha yes there is one way to find out if my pictures "did justice", come and visit Alberta :)... lots of beautiful roads and scenery around Calgary, Alberta (y) :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Extended warranties are a coin toss on a singe purchase, and a near certain waste of money over a lifetime of purchases. The actuaries see to it.

My philosophy is that if I can't afford a $3,000 repair bill then I bought $3,000 too much motorcycle. Live within your means, pay as you go. Otherwise you'll spend the rest of your life transferring your wealth to the smoke-and-mirrors salesmen one dollar at a time.

·
Registered
30 Posts
My personal experience means that I will not be buying an extended warranty at all.

Clutch failed prematurely, Honda IMMEDIATELY called it a wear item OR user caused damage and wouldn't cover it. Only option I had was to pay the dealer to put the bike back together, take it to another dealer to try again and Honda told me they would say it was the same thing. I had Honda America call me to argue this and they wouldn't even begin to budge. Point is, Honda WILL F*CK YOU if they can, and they will not pay out.

To be very clear, it was a total ****-show and completely turned me off of any warranty service through Honda. My fork seals leaked and that is also a wear item, not covered under warranty. So far my warranty has covered ass-all. And this is from a dealer I have known for years and purchased several bikes from.

Love my AT, but I cannot recommend the bike honestly...

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
@veloccity ,hmm that's not good to hear, Honda should at least "have a look at the failed clutch" they created that thing, and they are the experts, I am sure once they would "open her up" they could see if it was "abuse or manufacturing defect"

Q: What did the mechanic or your dealer say, once they openned the clutch assembly? You were there, were you?

·
Registered
30 Posts
@veloccity ,hmm that's not good to hear, Honda should at least "have a look at the failed clutch" they created that thing, and they are the experts, I am sure once they would "open her up" they could see if it was "abuse or manufacturing defect"

Q: What did the mechanic or your dealer say, once they openned the clutch assembly? You were there, were you?
I was not present when it was opened, but the point was clear: Clutch is burnt. I was directly told you burnt up the clutch, indirectly advised after replacement there was a "process" involving letting the bike/clutch cool when you start to feel it go, and then adjusting the perch to get free-play back. I've already had to do so once. IMO Honda absolutely knows this is a weakness, but is consistent in its approach as a clutch is a wear item and they do not cover it. Bike had like 5500 miles on it at the time.

I, eventually aggressively, did everything I could to get Honda to be accountable to either admitting that A) the clutch is a weakness or B) something went wrong with this specific clutch so they would cover it. They refused to do either, said I burnt the clutch, and THEN my local dealer took its sweat time and had absolutely 0 interest in proving otherwise. 3 weeks in the peak of summer for parts, and I had no way of doing it myself at that time and they knew it. I have a path forward, screw Honda and I will go with a more heavy-duty clutch moving forward. Issue has happened again I just have adopted the process taught to me after it burnt the first time.

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Didn't know that the "burned clutches" are a known issue on AT's...hope the DCT clutches are less prone to failing :rolleyes:

There has to be some "Happy and positive experiences" with Honda warranty or Third party extended warranty ?

I had good luck with my smartphone, large cordless Makitta tool set and big screen Sony TV... extended warranties, got the fixing and/or replacement no problem / almost no questions asked (y):)

·
Premium Member
2022 CRF1100 ATAS ES DCT
2,482 Posts
Didn't know that the "burned clutches" are a known issue on AT's...hope the DCT clutches are less prone to failing :rolleyes:

There has to be some "Happy and positive experiences" with Honda warranty or Third party extended warranty ?

I had good luck with my smartphone, large cordless Makitta tool set and big screen Sony TV... extended warranties, got the fixing and/or replacement no problem / almost no questions asked (y):)
No probs with my touch screen if that counts :D
Dealer confirmed not working and a replacement was sent and fitted, don't suppose they could call that a wear issue though :D

21 - 40 of 43 Posts