Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2019 ATAS DCT
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody recently purchased a Honda extended warranty? With the issues with the tank/fuel filter debris on the 18 & 19 ATAS, I’m definitely going to start looking at about month 10 of ownership.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I bought 3 years with the new bike. Last week I found out the switch inside the ignition key cylinder was bad.
The dealer informed me that the day I left my bike was the day before my ext. warranty expired- I recon the cost of this job about paid for it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Has anybody recently purchased a Honda extended warranty? With the issues with the tank/fuel filter debris on the 18 & 19 ATAS, I’m definitely going to start looking at about month 10 of ownership.

Yes I purchased a warranty for that exact reason on my 18 ATAS. I'm not a skilled mechanic, so I'm not going to take the tank off, inspect it myself and install filter bags. I'm hoping I don't get stranded, but at least I'll be covered for the fix.

·
Registered
2019 ATAS DCT
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That’s exactly what I’m thinking Chopperbob! Hopefully we’ll get lucky and not have that issue....

·
Administrator
3,298 Posts
Yes I purchased a warranty for that exact reason on my 18 ATAS. I'm not a skilled mechanic, so I'm not going to take the tank off, inspect it myself and install filter bags. I'm hoping I don't get stranded, but at least I'll be covered for the fix.
I did too and added the roadside as well. If I get stranded at least they will tow it to the nearest Honda dealer.

·
Administrator
3,298 Posts
Plan Pricing is here. It kicks in after your 1-year standard warranty runs out. So adding 24 months gives 3 years total coverage. You can extend up to a total of 6 years on the Africa Twin, 8 years on touring bikes like the Goldwing, which already come with a 3-year standard warranty. The Roadside kicks in immediately. Price per year goes down the more years of warranty you add. Roadside was cheaper than AAA.

·
Registered
2019 ATAS DCT
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Cuchulainn! Definitely looks like it's worth adding the roadside assistance. Cheap peace of mind.

·
Administrator
3,298 Posts
Thanks Cuchulainn! Definitely looks like it's worth adding the roadside assistance. Cheap peace of mind.
I had to use it once already with my previous AT. Picked up a nail in the rear tire in Eureka Springs, AR. The nearest Honda dealer that had both a tube and a tire, just in case they had to replace the tire was Springdale, AR. So they transported the bike and I to Heartland Honda in Springdale while my wife followed on her bike. 137-mile trip and the transaction was easy. Just a "Your club took care of it, take care"

Edit: Make that twice. I forgot about the time Sara and I decided to pass up a gas stop, thinking we had plenty to make it to the next town, only to find the next town had both its gas stations out of business and we didn't make it all the way to the town after that. So we each got the 2-gallon fuel delivery :)

On the 2018/19 models, I figure it also adds some peace of mind on a resale since it is transferable if the potential buyer is aware of the issue.

Edit: The other peace of mind it gives is that is it unlimited mileage warranty, so if you have 4 years total and you sell the bike after 3 with 40K or whatever on it, you can still advertise a 1-year, transferable unlimited mileage warranty remaining. A lot of folks don't want to touch a bike with more than maybe 18K after 3 years.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just brought home my new 2019 ATAS and purchased the 60M extended warranty for the same reasons mentioned above. Some peace of mind while traveling and resale.
My 2016 AT has 14 months remaining on its warranty and was thankfully never needed (with 24K miles) , should be comforting and helpful to the new owner when I get ready to sell this spring.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I bought a used 2016 last fall that came with a 5 year extended warranty that included Roadside Assistance and cost original owner $700.00,... it really sweetened the deal ....there's no cost for the transfer and I received the new ID in my name in about a month

...also the Honda dealer in Connecticut, where bike was purchased, approved for new spokes under warranty due to corrosion,...I plan to take it to my local dealer in the next week

1 - 11 of 11 Posts