Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Has anyone fitted a front mudguard extender. If so which one is best.
I have a atas and live in the UK. Do you have to remove the fender ?
Thanks
Steve

·
Registered
98 Posts
I managed it with guard in place - I prefer the rivet option so did not need to "set" the adhesive tape as per Pyramid instructions, still put some pads on to stop the water running through. Also have rear one fitted.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Pyramid hugger

I managed it with guard in place - I prefer the rivet option so did not need to "set" the adhesive tape as per Pyramid instructions, still put some pads on to stop the water running through. Also have rear one fitted.

Hi Padgman any chance of a picture of the rear 1. I tried to install a Pyramid rear hugger on my 2018 AT but it was a very poor fit, there was too much pressure on it and I ended up with a hairline crack but got full refund from PP. They have asked for pictures of my bike.
Cheers
Jacky

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I am about to fit a carbon fibre extender to mine. I have bought them before from Bluebird engineering. They are about the same price as moulded plastic ones but are beautifully made and incredibly light.
It seems a good fit when I hold it in place and I intend to fix it there without taking off the mudguard.
After many many threads on the NC forums about how to fit these, the consensus seems to be Sikaflex 291. It's a marine sealant that is incredibly strong. waterproof and flexible. You can cover the whole of the flange with it so that there are no places for water to get in, but even if it does it's not going to debond it. The plastic ones are often sold with a few pieces of sticky tape already in place. Whilst this tape is very good these days, it's subject to terrible conditions under the front mudguard, and I had one fail and come loose. Fortunately it didn't jam in the forks, but it could have done. Screws or rivets will solve this but they look unsightly and using sikaflex 291 means you don't have to use them or drill the mudguard.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Carbon-Fibre-Honda-CRF1000L-Africa-Twin-Fender-Extender-Extension-CRF-1000/283366091884?hash=item41f9ef6c6c:g:Q-sAAOSw8w1X2Vgf
Mike

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hi Padgman any chance of a picture of the rear 1. I tried to install a Pyramid rear hugger on my 2018 AT but it was a very poor fit, there was too much pressure on it and I ended up with a hairline crack but got full refund from PP. They have asked for pictures of my bike.
Cheers
Jacky
I had similar issues, detailed elsewhere on this forum. The replacement was no better but I enlarged the holes to remove the stress, then put rubber washers on each mounting point. If you do a search on this forum you should see photos too. I gave then extensive feedback (how many mm each hole was out, use of rubber washers etc) but had no response. At lease I'm not the only one! I've had no cracking issues in 800 miles.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Fitted Pyramid products rivet on style to my 2019 ATAS yesterday. Didn't remove mudguard put sticky pads on then drilled 4 x 4mm for rivets. Really tidy easy job. Very secure. Only took 10-15 mins tops. Just be careful drilling holes near tyre

1 - 7 of 7 Posts