Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi..

Anyone know where I can get an extra long drive chain either JT or D.I.D as I've taken up my rear sprocket 5 teeth on 2019 Adventure Sport and am having a little trouble getting any chain to fit..?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Any decent supplier should be able to cut any length you want.
I used to distribute DID chain and could buy set boxed lengths and well as 25 mtr rolls.

Don't know where you are - useful to update your prfile.

If in UK try "the chain man" he is very good and reasonably priced.

I certainly feel your problem as the internet takes over trade choices have diminished to what traders can sell quick and easy, They really cant be bothered to add value by cutting bits of what is very expensive sock they have to carry. Bring back the old days....

Z

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much Zarafah.. emailed him right away and he replied immediately.. he can get me JT X-Ring Super HD Chain 525 Z3 in Gold with 126 links in the post first thing to London Monday morning. I'll have it Tuesday!

Fitting shop cut off my Honda one off Friday before realising they didn't not have one of correct length to fit my bike!

Bike was not even 24 hours old and has been sitting in their garage all weekend with no chain.

I'm furious!

Really appreciate it. ;)

You saved the day!

·
Registered
510 Posts
It's the shop's fault they didn't have a chain in stock to fit your non-standard sprocket? Pretty hard to judge the length needed until you get everything fitted up.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Keep the new old chain and get the chain man to supply a couple of rivet links and a short length of oem 525 chain then you have a spare.

I always order extra links.

back when i was using the same bike to ride to time trials and compete we used to use spring links and a bit of chain along with sawn in half rear sprockets for a quick gearing change - then changing back t higher gearing for the run home - sometimes 200 miles.....

I know - but we only had small bikes and very little spare cash. one memorable trip was to north wales from Portsmouth on Friday evening with a one man tent and all my other bits in a rucksack. Snowed overnight and the trial was canceled - rode back half way before having to camp again - arrived back 1 am Monday morning and was at work by 0800 - mad. Couldn't do it now.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's the shop's fault they didn't have a chain in stock to fit your non-standard sprocket? Pretty hard to judge the length needed until you get everything fitted up.
Sure it is.. they change chains all day long, it's their business to know. Every chain they had in stock had the same number of links as mine that they just cut off.. they could easily have checked this BEFORE angle grinding my chain off..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Keep the new old chain and get the chain man to supply a couple of rivet links and a short length of oem 525 chain then you have a spare.

I always order extra links.

back when i was using the same bike to ride to time trials and compete we used to use spring links and a bit of chain along with sawn in half rear sprockets for a quick gearing change - then changing back t higher gearing for the run home - sometimes 200 miles.....

I know - but we only had small bikes and very little spare cash. one memorable trip was to north wales from Portsmouth on Friday evening with a one man tent and all my other bits in a rucksack. Snowed overnight and the trial was canceled - rode back half way before having to camp again - arrived back 1 am Monday morning and was at work by 0800 - mad. Couldn't do it now.
Thanks I will keep the old chain (which is actually a brand new chain as bikes new.) Shop did not have extra links though as the Honda RK chain link pins are non standard size. Shop only had D.I.D chains and those links do not fit Honda chains..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts