Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2021 AT-AS
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!
I have an issue with wind noise on my 2021 Adventure Sports, and wondering if anyone else has experienced it and preferably solved it. While riding my bike home from the dealership I didnt really think that much about it, but I was comming from a Harley Sportster. So wind shields and such is still a mystery to me. But I have of course tried it both at the top and at the bottom setting.

Anyways, as I have done some more kilometres the annoyance is growing. I tried googling and searching, but didnt really find much about it. What I did find was someone recommending a fork shield. So I ordered one from swegotech.com. Well, I recieved it today, and sadly it didnt help with the issue at all.

I am 185cm (just over 6 feet) if it matters, but even when I try hiding behind the wind screen the noise is there. If I stand up on the pegs, the noise disapears, so its not my helmet (Schuberth C3). I have an Ermax Touring screen ordered, but it wont be here until next month it seems.

Any tips or pointers? Am I doing anything wrong? I would love to be able to hear the engine roar instead of the wind...

·
Registered
12 Posts
It's the turbulence coming off the fairing and mirrors.
I've removed my wind screen in an attempt to reduce the turbulence. It helped but not much.
Standing up and getting my head in clean air works great but I can't stand all day.
I think a very tall wind screen would work but it's not an option for me as I ride off road a lot and a tall screen seems like a guillotine to me.
I made a "wind screen" out of kydex just to give the mounting bolts something to do. I doesn't go much higher than the top mounting bolts. I still have a ton of turbulence.
I wear earplugs and the noise is excessive. Ear ringing excessive.

I'll try different mirrors set in a lower and farther outboard position and maybe a differently shaped windscreen.

More testing is necessary.

RM14

·
Registered
32 Posts
I ride a 2020 base model and agree the wind noise is HORRIBLE. I added a tall Honda OEM screen - and even installed a Batzen windscreen adjuster (your bike already has an adjuster I think) - added the swegotech / wind deflectors (upper and lower). I tried riding with the screen all the way up / all the way down / in the middle - not much different. My helmet is a Shoei Neothech II (modular) which is supposed to be one of the quietest helmets on the market - but I have to turn the volume on my Bluetooth (Sena specifically designed for the Neotech II) all the way up in order to even marginally hear music or communicating with other riders. I even bought the eargasm earplugs as they claimed to filter the "windnoise" - wish I had that $30 bucks back. Not offering any solutions here just jumping on the bandwagon looking for any pointers. For context I am more vertically challenged than @Ustabil (5'8")...

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
The screen has to go wider rather than upwards. Madstad do a screen that works but maybe not yet for the bikes you have. There’s a thread saying they are working on one. Blow up this pic and you can see it on my standard bike. Cures about 80% of the problem
Mike

·
Registered
2021 AT-AS
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll try different mirrors set in a lower and farther outboard position and maybe a differently shaped windscreen.
I will have to do some testing on this myself. Adjusting, or even removing, mirrors for testing would be a cheap way to see if they are part of the problem!

For context I am more vertically challenged than @Ustabil (5'8")...
Would be interesting to hear if anyone does NOT have an issue with the noise, and their height.

Try these wind deflectors
These look very much like the puig ones, even got the same wind tunnel simulation sheets... But these are half the price, so I ordered them. If they work its a pretty cheap fix.

The screen has to go wider rather than upwards. Madstad do a screen that works but maybe not yet for the bikes you have. There’s a thread saying they are working on one. Blow up this pic and you can see it on my standard bike. Cures about 80% of the problem
Good input. Most screens I have seen are either shorter or taller than stock. Maybe wider is the way to go. Madstad doesnt seem to have anything for the 1100 (yet?) though.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
This is the member whose bike was or is being used by Madstad.
In my experience they ship all over the world. Their screens are very expensive but since IMHO they are the only things that work, there's no question it's money well spent. It transformed my bike into a good long distance tourer.
Mike

·
Registered
2021 AT-AS
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is the member whose bike was or is being used by Madstad.
In my experience they ship all over the world. Their screens are very expensive but since IMHO they are the only things that work, there's no question it's money well spent. It transformed my bike into a good long distance tourer.
Mike
Could not find anything for the 1100 on their website, I will send them an email.

I made these wind deflectors and although they may not look the part, they are fantastic job. No noise from the wind.
It is a bit hard to see whats going on there, got any more pictures?

·
Registered
2019 Africa Twin Adventure Sports
407 Posts
Don't you feel extremely unstable at speeds above 160km/hr? I would imagine those guards would make you fight the bars on a windy day?

But back to the question at hand, I am 6' 5" and pretty much equal parts legs and torso. I find the wind bothersome but I am coming from a KLR650 with my same helmet (Bell MX-9 Adventure). I imagine if my old KLR650 could go the same speeds my ATAS can go then I would have had similar issues. Before that was chopper with an old moto-cross helmet and sport bikes with full face helmets. What I am saying is that originally I placed the excessive noise with the helmet type. I now wear ear plugs for all my riding to avoid the ringing in my ears.

I know lots of guys have had great success with a swegotech forksheild. It helps with wind pressures on the helmet which will obviously cut down the wind noise. After my Recall is done I just might have to try one.

·
Registered
2020 Africa Twin
12 Posts
I think this might be my first post here, well... I'd better make it sound somewhat intelligent.

I've got a 2020 AT standard model. The wind and buffeting were absolutely crap..
So now I've got a windscreen extender which I can use to adjust to different heights and angles, a fork shield to stop the wind tunnel effect up through the field, I've got OEM wind deflectors at top and bottom of the bike and it's much better..
It is however by no means perfect, it's at least bearable now.

I'm 1.88m or 6'2"..

I'll chuck up a pic of the bike because you can zoom in and see the side deflectors and screen extender.

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
2021 ATAS with Swegotech and MRA and wearing Schuberth C3. I am 5'8" with 28" inseam. The noise is unbearable over 45 mph until I fully raise the chin bar. So I'm looking for an open face helmet with a retractable face shield not much bigger than a sun screen as on the C3. I have prescription goggles for my eyes and there are no ear plugs that will fix this noise. I've experimented with them for 30 years. Still waiting on the Madstad, they told me they are working on the manual for the new offering to fit the ATAS. If these last two items don't fix this then I'm changing bikes. Perhaps an enduro or trials and just quit street riding altogether. I've had enough of re-engineering factory blunders.

·
Registered
88 Posts
No wind noise for me, best wind protection I have ever had. I also have the ATAS.

I am 5’11 1/2

Mirror extenders

Puig wind screen

Xscreen

Swegotech

·
Registered
CRF1100 ATAS ES DCT
388 Posts
I think the problem is not how tall your but how big I have size 62 (xxxxl) from jacket so a large body which is picking up the wind. So I think a screen should be wider on the lower part see the solution of DFB. So the wind deflectors for Ali do a good job but I think the should be a little bit bigger.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
A lot of AT riders seem to have issues with the air that comes up under the fairing between the plastics and the forks. Easy experiment - next time you ride use your left hand to block one of the areas beside/between the forks and fairing. If that stops the issue there are plenty of fork tube deflectors out there on ebay, amazon and a member here sells his ($50) one.
I've also found that having a screen that is wider with a screen lift mechanism helps a lot (Batzen and Vstream shield). There are quite a few posts on here about both of those accessories with some success.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a 19 ATAS but the issues are the same. I’m 6-6’1” and the windshield add-on (cheap Amazon knockoff) was what made all the difference. I think the ATAS is one bike you should really use earplugs on too. Something about the exhaust hammering my eardrums? Not sure, but where em!!

One other thing to highlight is that one person’s solution often doesn’t work for another. I tried multiple screens including two vstream flavors, but the givi touring is what worked best for me. I also have the fork shield and fairing deflectors, but that little $20 adjustable add-on is what took care of my problem.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Like all of you I experienced the same issues you all described. I do appreciate you want to know how to solve your issues with the new AF’s; this is what I did for my 2016 AF DCT and I’m 6’2”. First I added the fork deflector that fits to the tank and stops the wind from coming up and whacking you under the chin. Then I did a lot of research and settled on the Madstad 20” screen. Rode around a lot at high and low speeds with multiple configurations; high, low and in between. That didn’t work. So some more research indicated the National Cycle screens would be better. It was a huge difference. Adding a Givi Deflector made it so much better. Now, I have a quiet zone. I do not suggest you get a Givi it uses a thick acrylic that distorts your view and the attachment fitting is huge, get a similar deflector with polycarbonate if you can. I hope you find what works for you.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts