Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2021 AT-AS
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Thank you all for your feedback on the issue. I got some stuff in order, and a pretty extensive list of other things to try if that doesnt work! I will report back with my findings.

·
Registered
2020 AT DCT
74 Posts
Wow, I'm alway more confused after reading windscreen threads than when I started. So many options and people don't give proper details. Like what the heck is a x-screen and what MRA specifically. Don't get me wrong because there are some good suggestions and thank you for taking the time to upload pictures... that helps. The other problem is availability especially now with supply chain issues. It reminds of what Cuba had to do with cars because of lack of parts... lol.

By the way, I just bought the standard 2020 AT with the stock short screen. I'd like to try the MRA X-Screen but not sure if that's the one that fits best and can't find it in Canada.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Interesting...I'm a tick over 6'3''. Stock 21 ATAS. I like the suspension set to two helmets and luggage (raises the rear of the bike). Screen in high position. Shoe Neotec helmet. I wear ear plugs. When I first looked at the bike I thought there was no way I was going to get by without having to modify something related to wind issues. I was surprised buffeting was almost non existent in traffic at 75mph and clean air is great. The AT is even better in this regard than water cooled GSA IMO.

Good luck solving this issue because it sucks having to fight it.

·
Registered
2017 CRF1000
53 Posts
Hello all!
I have an issue with wind noise on my 2021 Adventure Sports, and wondering if anyone else has experienced it and preferably solved it. While riding my bike home from the dealership I didnt really think that much about it, but I was comming from a Harley Sportster. So wind shields and such is still a mystery to me. But I have of course tried it both at the top and at the bottom setting.

Anyways, as I have done some more kilometres the annoyance is growing. I tried googling and searching, but didnt really find much about it. What I did find was someone recommending a fork shield. So I ordered one from swegotech.com. Well, I recieved it today, and sadly it didnt help with the issue at all.

I am 185cm (just over 6 feet) if it matters, but even when I try hiding behind the wind screen the noise is there. If I stand up on the pegs, the noise disapears, so its not my helmet (Schuberth C3). I have an Ermax Touring screen ordered, but it wont be here until next month it seems.

Any tips or pointers? Am I doing anything wrong? I would love to be able to hear the engine roar instead of the wind...
I fitted a windscreen extender from Amazon £21 and also a air dam on the fuel tank to stop the air coming up from the forks. This was from eBay again about £25 . All good now. I am 6ft 2 tall . Have the seat on the high setting as well.

·
Registered
19 Posts
So just got the ''fork hole deflector'' and my oh my, I couldn't believe it, the angry turbulence that shook my helmet from 100km/h forward was gone ...

I experimented with sticking my hand in the hole before and it affected the turbulence, but I never expected the deflector to fully fix the problem.

So I have a 2020 ATAS and I very much recommend buying this piece of plastic. It's a shame honda didn't put some kind of a fix in place, they must have known about the problem - selling a touring bike that shakes and vibrates the helmet on highway speeds is just crazy.

·
Registered
2021 AT-AS
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Just a quick update from my part:
Fitted these wind deflectors, and I think they helped a little. I got almost no wind noise up untill 60 km/h, but at high speed its the same as before.

I am expecting this new windscreen this week, hopefully that will give some better results.

Thank you all for your replies and feedback. It is a bit weird that different solutions work for different people, maybe I should get scientific at start plotting the different variables :geek:

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Just a quick update from my part:
Fitted these wind deflectors, and I think they helped a little. I got almost no wind noise up untill 60 km/h, but at high speed its the same as before.

I am expecting this new windscreen this week, hopefully that will give some better results.

Thank you all for your replies and feedback. It is a bit weird that different solutions work for different people, maybe I should get scientific at start plotting the different variables :geek:
those upper wind deflectors look ideal. I wonder if they do them for the CRF1000 standard bike
Mike

·
Registered
52 Posts
I ride a 2020 base model and agree the wind noise is HORRIBLE. I added a tall Honda OEM screen - and even installed a Batzen windscreen adjuster (your bike already has an adjuster I think) - added the swegotech / wind deflectors (upper and lower). I tried riding with the screen all the way up / all the way down / in the middle - not much different. My helmet is a Shoei Neothech II (modular) which is supposed to be one of the quietest helmets on the market - but I have to turn the volume on my Bluetooth (Sena specifically designed for the Neotech II) all the way up in order to even marginally hear music or communicating with other riders. I even bought the eargasm earplugs as they claimed to filter the "windnoise" - wish I had that $30 bucks back. Not offering any solutions here just jumping on the bandwagon looking for any pointers. For context I am more vertically challenged than @Ustabil (5'8")...
Ditto....I have the same helmet/headset and have all the same issues that you describe. I can barely hear music with the Sena but for unknown reasons, phone calls are better.....can't figure that one out.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Apparently these are coming from China so........I'll probably be getting these in about a month or so...I'll wait :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
I know it's not a permanent solution but, has anyone tried a brief ride with the mirrors removed to identify how much buffeting or wind noise is being generated by the mirrors?

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I know it's not a permanent solution but, has anyone tried a brief ride with the mirrors removed to identify how much buffeting or wind noise is being generated by the mirrors?
Yes I think someone did a couple of years ago, and said it made a huge difference - in Fact I think he just swivelled them inwards.
Mike

·
Registered
87 Posts
Did the OP find a solution on his 2021?

I never experienced a wind noisy bike before I owned this AT!!!! Makes the quietest helmet a rocket launch pad.

·
Registered
2018 Africa Twin Adventure Sports
232 Posts
So just got the ''fork hole deflector'' and my oh my, I couldn't believe it, the angry turbulence that shook my helmet from 100km/h forward was gone ...

I experimented with sticking my hand in the hole before and it affected the turbulence, but I never expected the deflector to fully fix the problem.

So I have a 2020 ATAS and I very much recommend buying this piece of plastic. It's a shame honda didn't put some kind of a fix in place, they must have known about the problem - selling a touring bike that shakes and vibrates the helmet on highway speeds is just crazy.
go ride a 2010-2013 Ducati Multistrada. That thing will turn you into a bobble head it buffets so bad at speed. Don’t even try to wear a dual sport style helmet on the thing, the visor will rip your head off.

in comparison my 2018 ATAT is a joy at speed, the fork shield fixed any concerns i had and overall for me i feel it manages wind really well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2021 AT-AS
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Did the OP find a solution on his 2021?
Sorry for the delayed reply, currently on vacation.

I replaced my stock wind shield with this, and the difference is big. Someone mentioned earlier that the screen width has the most impact, and I agree. Now I can actually feel with my hand exactly where the noisy wind (turbulence) is. I will try to find an even wider screen when I am back from vacation.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It's a shame we are all at odds with our ATs. I love so much about my 2019 non-AS, but I'm about to leave it at some random intersection because it is so loud. I think my hearing at age 70 would thank me for doing that. I've ridden other bikes, including naked bikes, and haven't had a problem like this. So, I'd like to make peace with the bike!!

I have a SwegoTech Fork Shield, and a 20" MadStad screen. I put them on at the same time (not a controlled scientific experiment for sure!), but they did help a pretty decent amount when there are light winds. However, when I'm in heavier winds, or a cross-wind, it's crazy loud, and my ears ring for days afterwards.

I'm 6-3" with a 34" inseam. I've tried a Shoei RF-SR helmet, an Arai Vector 2, and even borrowed an HJC that has the sun visor come down...so, it's not the helmet for certain.

I think that the wind that hits the hand protectors and mirrors is creating a lot of the turbulence. I think I will try mirror extenders -- I see a good portion of my shoulders in the mirrors as it is, so pushing the mirrors out an inch or more will hopefully reduce some of the turbulence that hits my shoulders, and rocks my brain.

The MadStad screen is already much wider than the stock, but I am going to try widening it out at the base a little more, but using spring loaded clamps and experiment with the cardboard piece from a binder. I think I will extend the MadStad screen out by 3 or 4", on both sides. I will make it maybe 6-8" high, so that it will block the wind from the hand guards and mirrors. If that works, I'll get some Lucite, or whatever it is, and screw it to the MadStad, or, maybe I will buy some clamp-on wind deflectors (like the ones that many people mount to the top of the screens) and put one on either side. I have a Camel Screen brace, to help support the extra load on it, if my experiment works. The MadStad doesn't bounce around with the stock screen supports, but it wasn't built for such heavy additional loads, for certain.

I contacted MadStad in the spring, and they might be interested in looking further into this problem -- of course, if it is financially rewarding for them to develop something, and sell a whole bunch of them. So, I encourage you to contact them as well!!

I sure hope my experiment works, because, and I'll be honest, I was looking at Gold Wings -- at least it was the sportier F6B model!! Lol. However, I already know my hearing isn't great, and I don't want to be that 70 year old who can't hear a darn thing....I'm almost 60, so that isn't too far away.

I will report on my findings.

·
Super Moderator
7,627 Posts
FYI: Almost similar set-up here:
  • 2019 AT (non-AS)
  • SwegoTech Fork Shield
  • N20058 National Cycle VStream screen
  • Batzen shield adjuster (provides almost 4" of adjustment) currently on lowest setting for summer riding
  • Camel Screen brace
  • 6' 2" with 34" inseam
  • Arai, Klim Krios Pro, HJC modular with flip-down visor
  • Silicone ear plugs
... and rides have been blissful.

There is hope.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Got the 2016 AT, also same height, and tried a lot of different screens (shorter, longer and with extra foil somewhat like the vario)

What was the best solution for me was the standard windscreen with Batzen screen adjust brackets
They raise the screen a bit directing the airflow higher

Also tried fork deflector but think the gain was minimal.

Not perfect but very OK sub 90-100 kmh

21 - 40 of 54 Posts