Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks to you all for your suggestions. I have a 20" Madstad, which helps a great deal, but it just doesn't solve my problem. Someone else has written that the MRA screen worked for them. Maybe I need to find a barn door and mount that.
Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have been avidly reading the posts, hoping to find a solution for the horrible wind noise on my ATAS 2021. No turbulence, just noise. I have the fork shield installled, and ordered the side shields from alibaba, even bought a new Schuberth C4 Pro Carbon,to no avail. Coming from the serene air bubble of a BMW R1200RT, the wind noise is truly maddening. From the above, looks like the only alternatives are either moving the mirrors (poor aesthetics, to say the least) or a wider screen that no one yet makes. Clip on screen add-ons don’t seem to do much for noise, unless I missed something?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello Guyc, I was considering those side shields, but it seems that they only fit the AS, and I have the non-AS. I have the 20" Madstad screen which helps a great deal, and the Swegotech fork shield. I'm experimenting with side shields near the bottom, but didn't have a good ride yesterday, as it was very loud at times. I'm waiting for mirror extensions to come, so I can push out the mirrors a little bit (40 mm), which at least will let me see the road instead of my shoulders. A lot of the noise comes from around the mirrors/handguards, I think. I'll try taking the handguards off. I contacted a person selling a bike who had Bark Busters hand guards and Double Take mirrors, a V-Stream windscreen, and upper defelctors, who said he had good results.

Also, I get some buffeting from the top of the screen, as I'm 6'3" (34" inseam), so I'm even considering a deflector that attaches to the top of the windscreen. Barring this, I need to look at a different bike...but don't want to do that.

Others have solved their problems, so there is hope, but I don't want to spend a thousand dollars or more.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks Bill, different bikes must have different aerodynamic profiles for sure. Madstad does not have a screen for the ATAS 2021, yet. I’m 6’1” myself and I feel no wind buffeting on the helmet with the standard windshield in its lowest position (adjustable on the adventure sport), just a bit on the arms and shoulders, which I suspect the Chinese deflectors will address. The big issue is noise and I agree with you that hand guards and/or mirrors might be the culprits.

The gentleman who added large plastic deflectors near his mirrors (likely taken off a Cessna from the picture) apparently confirmed this. Let us know how the mirror extensions work.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I added these pics to another post, but since there are many having problems here, I'll re-add them. I added strips of heavy cardboard from a binder, and attached them to my 20" Madstad with spring clips. It helps deflect air from those areas that are creating a lot of turbulence, and helped to quiet things down a great deal. However, I had a noisy ride yesterday with them, as it was windy. Now, they didn't seem to affect handling too much, it sure is one ugly solution, particularly with cardboard strips and red spring clamps, lol.

There are side deflectors that some have used, and I'm wondering how they were, and which ones you used. Again, this screen works for some, is terrible for another, etc. Cross-winds are particularly wretched for noise. I can't take a Gold Wing down fire roads, but I'm starting to look at the Gold Wing version of the F6B. Help!!!
Car Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle
Plant Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood
Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Premium Member
2021 ATA, 2020 Wing Tour, 1977 Wing
24 Posts
Interesting...I'm a tick over 6'3''. Stock 21 ATAS. I like the suspension set to two helmets and luggage (raises the rear of the bike). Screen in high position. Shoe Neotec helmet. I wear ear plugs. When I first looked at the bike I thought there was no way I was going to get by without having to modify something related to wind issues. I was surprised buffeting was almost non existent in traffic at 75mph and clean air is great. The AT is even better in this regard than water cooled GSA IMO.

Good luck solving this issue because it sucks having to fight it.
I am 6' ridng a stock 21 ATAS. I wear an ARAI XD with a SENA 20S EVO, earplugs, and a tank bag. Buffeting is also non-existent and the wind noise level is low.

I am thinking that maybe my tank bag is acting as a deflector. Is anyone else using a tank bag.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am 6' ridng a stock 21 ATAS. I wear an ARAI XD with a SENA 20S EVO, earplugs, and a tank bag. Buffeting is also non-existent and the wind noise level is low.

I am thinking that maybe my tank bag is acting as a deflector. Is anyone else using a tank bag.
I bought a vstream 20068 for my 2021 AS and it solved the noise issue by 75%. $189CDN from Fortnine in Canada. Received next day, same time as the corner wind deflectors ordered from alibaba 2 months ago… those won’t fit with the new windshield which is almost the same height as the stock, but wider at the top and bottom. If someone wants them.., Can now hear my music at 120kph.

·
Registered
10 Posts

Hello, I have seen someone else say their tankbag likely acted as a deflector. I do have the SwegoTech Forkshield, but I can see the higher tankbag blocking some other wind. I sold my tankbag, as I didn't want it scratching up my beautiful black tank...but if I don't like riding the bike due to the noise, then a scratched tank is a small price.

I need to look into the tankbag that attaches to a "ring" that you can put around the Fuel tank...if it's offered for our Africa Twins.
Thanks for the comments.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I bought a vstream 20068 for my 2021 AS and it solved the noise issue by 75%. $189CDN from Fortnine in Canada. Received next day, same time as the corner wind deflectors ordered from alibaba 2 months ago… those won’t fit with the new windshield which is almost the same height as the stock, but wider at the top and bottom. If someone wants them.., Can now hear my music at 120kph.
I've considered the VStream for my 2019 non-AS. The MadStad is pretty good, too. Those side wind deflectors don't seem to be available for the non-AS, unfortunately. I bought the Puig hand guard wideners, that fit over top of the stock handguards, and also the rear view mirror attachments to take the mirrors out by 1.5". Will let you know how that goes!

·
Super Moderator
7,608 Posts

I use a tank bag half the times. But I also have a fork shield "air dam".

I also use the N20058 VStream windshield. My tank bag mounts on the tank using a Givi ring adapter around the refueling port. Love it.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I have been avidly reading the posts, hoping to find a solution for the horrible wind noise on my ATAS 2021. No turbulence, just noise. I have the fork shield installled, and ordered the side shields from alibaba, even bought a new Schuberth C4 Pro Carbon,to no avail. Coming from the serene air bubble of a BMW R1200RT, the wind noise is truly maddening. From the above, looks like the only alternatives are either moving the mirrors (poor aesthetics, to say the least) or a wider screen that no one yet makes. Clip on screen add-ons don’t seem to do much for noise, unless I missed something?
Regarding your noise, is some of it tires? Above about 55mph my Metzler Karoo Streets are terrible. Not a problem when I wear ear plugs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Any updates on the best solution or new products? I just got the '21 AT standard model and the noise is unbearable. I ordered the tall OEM windscreen to see if just a taller screen is enough, when i crouch down about 5 or 6 inches the noise is gone. So I'm hoping that solves it. it seems like every person is different. All the options that offer a wider body on the screen arent available for my model.

Im 5'8" with 29" inseam, weigh 160

41 - 54 of 54 Posts