Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Picked up my 2021 AT AS ES DCT today - wind noise or helmet buffetting is bad enough to cause my ears to ring and the vision from turbulence out the front of the bike was poor... came off a Kaw Concours that had a huge windshield... Has anyone taken off the factory plastic hand guards? And what does the fork cover do to change wind direction or buffetting... this windscreen design is crap btw @Honda.... at 75mph its awful... any help is appreciated.... read all the posts... dont really see anything definitive that is the cause or the solution

·
Registered
609 Posts
That's because every single person has different results from the same changes. For me, changing to a taller wider screen helped a bit, but I still feel flow around my head. Just a taller screen didn't do all that much. For others, the fork shield helped a lot; I couldn't really feel it. Some people just get a lower screen and live with the airflow. Doubt if you can get a real fix on a bike that may fall and hit a tree or something. It also depends on how tall you are and where your head sits in relation to the windscreen.

·
Super Moderator
9,660 Posts
Welcome to the Forum @ChrisDeMaio. Your suffrage is almost universal here at the Forum, particularly with taller members. Even your helmet could react, maybe unexpectedly more with the turbulence of the AT (also depends on model and year).

For me, I am considering not restoring the hand guards. However, they have to fail first as they are good at defecting many bugs. Other than that, they are useless.

Feel free to introduce yourself at the New Member Introductions area of the Forum.

·
Registered
2019 Africa Twin Adventure Sports
565 Posts
That's because every single person has different results from the same changes. For me, changing to a taller wider screen helped a bit, but I still feel flow around my head. Just a taller screen didn't do all that much. For others, the fork shield helped a lot; I couldn't really feel it. Some people just get a lower screen and live with the airflow. Doubt if you can get a real fix on a bike that may fall and hit a tree or something. It also depends on how tall you are and where your head sits in relation to the windscreen.
100%.

There will be no "ONE" fix for everyone, for the reasons described above. If you do more road/high speed travel, look at a taller and wider windshield. If you do more dirt you might want to look at more adjustable windshield or shorter in combination with quieter/more streamline helmet.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Me too - forkshield no difference, taller screen no difference. Wider Madstad screen solved about 50-60% of the problem, but it's still much more pleasant riding my naked Thruxton (except in winter 😄)
Mike

·
Registered
5 Posts
You are correct... One size doesn't fit all. I did some work on it today and found that a large portion of the buffeting is coming from the forks, and from the front hitting hand guards and mirrors. The idea of a wider windscreen and closing the gap in the forks could change the game on touring over 60mph.

Going to start a 3 point process to bring the buffeting down. Installing this tomorrow: Small Clear version - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07M7YBB3N?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Depending on how that goes for the top of my helmet, Step 2 will be the upper wind deflectors and simultaneously remove the plastic hand guards. Step 3 will be the fork shield.

I will keep you updated on the progress. I am 5' 9' stand flat footed in low seat position. This BIKE is incredible... even with some wind issues, trading it in is not an option.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I had a lot of buffeting around my helmet. Strangely enough most of it disappeared when I installed the OEM resin panniers. I am not sure how the panniers changed the airflow to reduce the helmet buffeting but I am not complaining. Keep an open mind, your solution could be any one in this discussion or a combination. Good luck with it.

·
Super Moderator
9,660 Posts
I had a lot of buffeting around my helmet. Strangely enough most of it disappeared when I installed the OEM resin panniers. I am not sure how the panniers changed the airflow to reduce the helmet buffeting but I am not complaining. Keep an open mind, your solution could be any one in this discussion or a combination. Good luck with it.
Maybe somehow the trailing "bubble turbulence" got pushed back several inches behind the helmet? Maybe all that was needed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Update -... took the ATAS out for about 200 miles of 55+ riding and the inexpensive $30 amazon top wind deflector did fix the helmet buffeting as it was throwing the air much higher. After more discover the Air is coming in very strong across the mirrors and the inside portion of the mirrors... i have order the upper wind deflectors as well. i have realized that the most annoying part of the wind coming in is not from the forks so much as it is coming around the sides and from the mirrors/ handguard). I do agree that a much wider wind screen could have been more appealing...but without seeing the overall aerodynamics plan ... who knows .... if there was one thing that i think Honda got completely wrong... its not the aero...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I made these wind deflectors and although they may not look the part, they are fantastic job. No noise from the wind.
Good Day
Kindly send me some photos on email [email protected]. I have fitted everything on the market and nothing solved the problem. I have held my hands in the same place that you mounted the tabs and found that it made a huge difference so I am confident that your solution is great.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Recently I had been bothering the forum regarding engine and exhaust noise; the wind noise and buffeting I have resolved to a high extend. After some testing I found out that the main source of noise was my helmet! I use the NEXX X-WED II.

I did test runs back to back with the NEXX, my CGM Open Face, and my old SHEI GT-AIR. The NEXX is by FAR the most noisy helmet which not only does not reduce any noise but it clearly boosts it.

So, before you go crazy with all sorts of flaps on mirrors etc, maybe you would consider evaluating your helmets contribution in noise.

·
July 2022 ROTM Winner
522 Posts
One other “related” thing to consider is surrounding vehicles. I have noticed a huge difference to wind noise and buffeting depending on other vehicles on the road that are around me. Passing small cars at speed is not so much of and issue but increase vehicle size to a people carrier/mini van and then up again to a van or light goods vehicle, and the issues multiply immensely (for me any way). The worst culprits are not HGV/Lorry/Trucks (although they do cause issues) but in fact a vehicle transporter (those long trucks that take new cars to their showrooms etc). My god, passing them is a wobbly experience……once you know it’s easy to manage ✊🏻.

I found a taller screen (I am 5’9 with seat in high position) helped reduce the issues enough to cope with - especially for the amount of high speed (70mph+) I would be doing. I don’t see the AT as a bike that lives up there any way, the fun is the engines low down torque.

The front of the AT is very narrow (actually the whole bike is narrow compared to rivals), so it’s fair to imagine the rider is going to take quite a bit of wind!? Reading lots of comments on this, it seems people that have issues will need to consider lots of points (Helmet / mirrors / handguards / screen / fork guard / seat height / deflectors / balance or pitch of the bike)?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wind buffeting solved... Hello everyone, Here's what I did... I added the clip on wind screen add on here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07M7YBB3N?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details , that reduced the top of the helmet buffeting altogether. Then i added the cheap $30 fork shield cover you can find on Ebay/Amazon - just make sure you get one that fits your bike... and then added the factory upper wind deflectors... All total, about $140 invested in everything... all three things took about an hour total to install... wind buffeting reduced by 85%... much nicer to ride at 70 MPH and above... I am 5'10.. on a 2021 ATAS ES DCT... I hope this fix works for all of you that suffer from the same problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello all!
I have an issue with wind noise on my 2021 Adventure Sports, and wondering if anyone else has experienced it and preferably solved it. While riding my bike home from the dealership I didnt really think that much about it, but I was comming from a Harley Sportster. So wind shields and such is still a mystery to me. But I have of course tried it both at the top and at the bottom setting.

Anyways, as I have done some more kilometres the annoyance is growing. I tried googling and searching, but didnt really find much about it. What I did find was someone recommending a fork shield. So I ordered one from swegotech.com. Well, I recieved it today, and sadly it didnt help with the issue at all.

I am 185cm (just over 6 feet) if it matters, but even when I try hiding behind the wind screen the noise is there. If I stand up on the pegs, the noise disapears, so its not my helmet (Schuberth C3). I have an Ermax Touring screen ordered, but it wont be here until next month it seems.

Any tips or pointers? Am I doing anything wrong? I would love to be able to hear the engine roar instead of the wind...
Just solved it after trying many screens and things with the puig spoiler.
Tire Automotive lighting Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle

·
Registered
48 Posts
Less windshield + fork deflectors almost always reduces turbulence. Solving the issue with more windshield usually requires a lot more windshield.

Another widely overlooked issue is air leaks around the neckline of your helmet. Switching to a snug-fitting modular helmet made a giant difference for me. Add some earplugs and it's almost serene.

61 - 76 of 76 Posts