Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
not seen this mentioned by anyone, have you plenty of slack in the chain?

·
Registered
154 Posts
If I remember correctly the AT workshop manual states the crankcase has to be split to replace the sprocket oil seal. I thought when I read this, you have got to be joking!

Good luck and let us know how you get on!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Turns out this is actually a thing. Discovered a leak on a new 2017 ATwin DCT with 2000 miles on it. Couldn’t figure out where it was coming from. Took to Honda service shop and they said it was exactly that. Issue was previous owner swapped front sprocket and messed up the oil seal somehow. I’d never heard of such a thing. I guess we’ll see what happens when new OEM sprocket comes in.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Yes, Chain has always been adj correctly,
Chain adjusted correctly is subjective if you are following the manual - how much the bike squats on the side stand depends on how heavily you have the bike loaded and where your suspension preload setting is.
By the book chain slack can result in no-slack drum-tight chain tension when the front sprocket, swing-arm and rear axle are all on the same plane. Loose is better than tight on the bearings and seals.

2nd thought is - some have had rocks and other crap trapped inside the front sprocket against the case - this chews up the seal and results in leaks.

·
Registered
21 Posts
This is definitely interesting enough as I don't believe it's something most are familiar with. I've now owned my AT DCT for about three weeks. Considering it only had 1884 miles on it when I purchased it, seeing an oil leak was a big surprise. I had a KLR650 for four years prior and had never had, seen, or even heard/read about such an issue. Easy enough fix, but definitely a surprise. Now, I'm just curious to see how the bike actually rides with the OEM sprocket!?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts