Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

Factory Tool Kit

45K views 117 replies 45 participants last post by  DoubleThumper 
#1 ·
When I purchased my ATAS it came with a "tool kit" which consisted of a pouch, a screwdriver handle, a screwdriver blade that goes into the handle for either Phillips or flat head and a little plastic fuse puller. I just assumed the sparseness of this tool kit was due to cost-cutting. The other day I was looking at an online parts catalog and noticed the "Tool" subgroup of parts (see attached photo). It looks like its supposed to have some extra spanners, a 19 mm eye wrench and a sparkplug wrench. Did everyone else get the whole set? or does Honda just give you the ones i mentioned when you buy it?

Attachments

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
I bought my 2017 AT in Phoenix. My tool kit came just as your's did, without many tools just a pouch, fuse puller and a screwdriver. I went and ordered all the additional Honda tools online just so I would have them on the bike. I believe it's better to have something and not need it than to need something and not have it, especially when you're traveling in the middle of nowhere USA.

Reactions: DesertPatriot
#7 ·
I got mine used, so not sure if it came with one but I doubt it. The spot it’s supposed to store looks like a small box on the left side. Mine removes not with the Allen wrench under the seat, but with a torx wrench. And the box is sealed. I’m building my own toolkit to carry elsewhere and may convert that hollow to a hidden key/weed box.

#10 ·
I got just the pouch with the screwdriver blade and the Allen key under the seat. The pouch doesn't quite fit the "tool" box, even empty. While considering what tools to include in a tool roll, I realized that the only things I could fix on the side of the road could be fixed with the Allen key and the screwdriver, except a flat tire. There aren't really any other fasteners that may need to be touched. Of course, the farther from help you are, the more tools you might need to get back.

#11 ·
Some people did not have their locations listed but it seems like bikes sold outside of the USA came with the tools and bikes sold in the states only come with screwdriver/fuse puller. That is kind of a bummer. I wonder if some US regulation keeps Honda from including them here or they just think Americans would never use them. I do recall that my 2008 Kawasaki ex500 did come with the full tool kit.

I will probably end up ordering them just like azccj did, still a bummer though.

I wonder if it's a North America thing, are there any Canadians on here that could comment on whether or not they received the full kit?

#43 ·
I wonder if it's a North America thing, are there any Canadians on here that could comment on whether or not they received the full kit?
My 2019 ATAS was delivered yesterday and purchased December of 2019. The only tools I could find were the hex wrench under the seat, a fuse puller and a double ended screwdriver as mentioned by others here. My location is Ontario Canada. A bit disappointing considering the five previous Hondas I owned all came with complete or almost complete tool kits. They were all used bikes, not new.

#12 ·
No tools on my bike - screwdriver, fuse puller and pouch.
What surprised me was my budget CRF250L came with the full kit, so did my VTR1000 Varadero.
Already put together my own kit but this would be a nice to have since it's so small.

#13 ·
The US dealer said the 1 allen wrench and screwdriver was all they supplied, I went to Northern and bought the small stubby open/box wrenches 6mm- 19mm(you can always use one of the other wrenches as a extension), the sockets for removing the wheels, an allen set. Got the Motion Pro tire tools and rim shields. Took a few weeks of tweaking the bike and 1 nail in the back tire to figure out which tools would need to be carried for any trips. Can't imagine having to fix a flat on some forest trail but I know I can do it after fixing the flat in the garage at home.

#20 ·
My 2018 only came with the few tools you mentioned and I wondered the same thing. Seemed like a bone-headed cost-cutting decision or maybe someone at the dealer needed some tools and took them. Kinda glad that I wasn’t the only one who got so few tools...but what gives Honda?

#21 ·
Thanks for all of the responses guys.
After the responses from this thread, I started to wonder about my 2014 CB1100. It also came with a "tool kit", which included just a screwdriver and a fuse puller. From what I found online it seems like the same case; North American models came with only those 2 items whereas the international kit came with additional spanners and a spark plug wrench.

In addition, I was watching a video of someone doing a walkaround of their 2019 monkey (probably going to be my next bike) and it was the same deal with the tools for that bike.

This seems really odd that Honda would do this just for North America, does anyone know if other makes of bikes come with more extensive tools in the United States? I wonder if it is a regulation thing?

#22 ·
Because we don't know how to work on anything so there's no point? Once a bike stops running, we just throw them in the barn and forget about them. Seriously, if you need to do very much to it, you need more tools than ever came in a factory set, so they save the money to include them.

#23 ·
Just imagine then.

You get a puncture front and back. What's the minimum list of tools you need to get the wheels off, fixed, and back on again?
Not that I'd know how to do the job myself but if I carry a spare set of tubes and I have all the tools necessary, I can always rely on my
big brown appealing eyes... or more likely a credit card to get back on the road.

#24 ·
I've heard that the best toolset is a credit card with a couple of hundred-dollar bills wrapped around it.

The front wheel axle nut is 22mm and the clamps are 12mm. The calipers are 14mm. The rear wheel has a 26mm axle nut. You can buy tire levers with the proper wrench sizes on one end, but they're short for tire levers, so I got long levers and bought cheap combination wrenches for the axle nuts. I cut off the open end so I could slide a pipe over it if I needed to. I haven't needed to. Three tire levers make it much easier, especially on the rear.
You need some sort of a mallet to drive the front axle out enough to stick a screwdriver shank through it to draw it completely out. A long punch might be handy, but I haven't worried about it. A valve core remover is required. I carry a 6-0z plastic squeeze bottle of Windex to clean my visor, and it works for tire lube as well. I bought a very small backpacking tarp to use as a workspace to pry the tire off, just to keep crap out of the bearings, and to make it easy to look for parts I'd removed.

#25 ·
The rear wheel needs 27 and 22 mm sockets.:surprise:

#27 · (Edited)
Just picked up a new 2018 ATAS in Queens, NY.
It had the small black pouch with a screwdriver, fuse puller. Lol.
Sales said that's all you get from Honda.

Any suggestions on a kit or list of useful tools to have?
Mostly riding on pavement.
I see there is a small side compartment so I know I at least need that allen wrench...

#28 ·
I didn't get a tool kit either, but I always build my own
I carry spoons and axle nut combos for front and rear, a 21" tube, patch kit, valve core remover/fishing device, talc in a garbage bag (for powdering the tube), small 12 volt tire pump, a trail jack, a neat little pocket kit combo ratchet tool with sockets, and combo wrenches in 10/12, 13/14/ 15/17 mm, a dual screwdriver and a spark plug wrench, as well as needle nose pliers and extra hardware in various sizes and lengths.
In a pinch, the 21" tube will work on the rear.
Bear in mind, I'm a Dual Sport/Adventure rider, and am often up in the high passes of the Rockies, so I can't rely on a Credit card.
I also carry a small LED headlight, patching a tire by moonlight sucks! :)
I'm still working out where to put my Tool Tube (welding rod holder) on this bike.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.