Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Trying to remove the main fairings but each time get to a point where I feel something is going to break. Each fairing has two bolts and 4 + 2 poppers that need to be removed. After this it should just pull off. The problem is that the fairing seams also to be attached to the tank cover and this is what causing the problem . When I pull the fairing at the top it is attached to the tank cover.

Any ideas?

Thanks Spanish

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi. Thanks, I have read said pdf. I follow all the steps upo 8 (remove as shown), but it is joined to the upper tank cover so I can't pull it away.

·
Registered
125 Posts
This video got me through the removal. But alas, after all was said and done I had to push pins left!!!
First time I tried I had 4 screws and a few push pins left over. Watched the video and very carefully followed it. I only had one push pin left the second time. :|

One thing that concerned me was trying to pull the panels off from the rubber grommets. At first I thought I did not have everything removed but I spent several minutes looking everywhere. Once I knew everything WAS removed I crossed my fingers and pulled hard. I really thought I would break something before they finally came loose.

When I put it back together I lubed each grommet and it was much easier the next time I pulled the fairing. (To replace the screws and push pins I left out the first time).

A little good news is that there are really only two types of screws and they are a different size so you won't mix them up.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi all,

Thanks for all the replies. I still havn't managed to get the b******** off.

The photo above shows the lhs fairing as it mates with the tank top cover (by the blue stripe). This is the bit giving me all the grief. How do seperate the fairing from the tank cover? If I pull, as if pulling away from the bike, I feel as if the tab that links them may break (The tab is just by the blue stripe and is linked with the ajoining tank cover).

Thanks Spanish

·
Registered
124 Posts
It is a bit difficult to get off. I just pushed the inner with my right hand and pulled out and down with my left. If you think getting them apart is a bitch just wait till you have to put them back together! For me the right side was easy and the left gave me endless trouble. I did find that putting a small amount of lube on the connecting tabs did help a bit for reinstall.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Hi,

I managed to get the buggers off :smile2:. I found out why you need to pull so hard where the fairing joins the tank cover - the top photo below shows there is a tiny lip on the fairing tab. This lip is what resists when you pull. To overcome the lip you need to push down on the tank cover with one hand, while pulling with the other (not easy), or insert a thin wedge between the two to overcome the lip.

For both fairings I managed to break off the small boss that fits just below the headlight. IMHO this is a stupid design and I bet I am not alone here. Thankfully it doesn't appear to do much. The second photo shows the missing boss. I am hoping a small square of 3M tape will compensate when I refit.

Hope this helps any others who attempt this job.

PS I re-assembled the LHS fairing immediately afterwards and found it not too difficult to get back on.

Spanish

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
208 Posts
They are a poor design full stop. On my 950KTM I simply undid 4 or 5 small bolts and the same items came off easily. I do not understand why Honda do this. It was exactly the same situation with my Silverwing Scooter and my previous NC700X although the NC was not the worst . I understand the rear plastics under the seat are even worse to get off. Already folks are discussing fixes for the tabs that break off.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Okay, I managed to get the fairing off without breaking anything and now I'm at the part where I pull off the little white 4 pin connector for the power to the assessory plug. How do you get that plug off the metal holder? It looks like it's got a latch but it's on the side away from me and I can't see how I can push it to release it.

This post has been a great help and I can see why the stealers charge so much for installing this simple thing. I've been working on it for about 5 hours and it looks like I'm about half through. I"m putting some vasoline on all the grommets and pushpins before I put anything back together. I know it will all have to come apart again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi
its quite easy really - on the top at left and right of the tank is 2 allen bolts - remove them then down from the tank at the edge of the frame is another bolt - remove that - then inside the fork stanshions you have 4 poppers and a pozi bolt remove them - now from the top by the mirror pull away gently - then at the base of the tank pull there now the whole panel will come forward till you have a slider by the headlight - that comes back a little - and now it is in your hand - repeat for other side - i have done this twice - once to get dust out of the clock and the other to replace bank angle sensor
hope this helps mate

·
Registered
158 Posts
I am no bike tech, maybe a blacksmith would be a better description of my skills or lack of. Earlier this year I installed a BoosterPlug in prep for my full Akra system.
I watched all the vids available several times, and took my time, real slow. Laid out and organised all the parts as they came off. It looks daunting and the fit of some parts is so tight or space to work in so small, but just take your time, don't rush. If I can do it then I would expect any other biker with a modicum of common sense to be able to. Good Luck.

M

·
Registered
34 Posts
Okay, I managed to get the fairing off without breaking anything and now I'm at the part where I pull off the little white 4 pin connector for the power to the assessory plug. How do you get that plug off the metal holder? It looks like it's got a latch but it's on the side away from me and I can't see how I can push it to release it.

This post has been a great help and I can see why the stealers charge so much for installing this simple thing. I've been working on it for about 5 hours and it looks like I'm about half through. I"m putting some vasoline on all the grommets and pushpins before I put anything back together. I know it will all have to come apart again.
You most likely have answer by now, but for anyone else looking to do this, I ran into the same issue until I unplugged the connector to the intrument pod. Amazing how easy it was after that.

Sent from my SC-02H using Tapatalk

·
Registered
96 Posts
Yes What a stupid design Honda managed to come up with for a fairing. What is wrong with a few screws and a few tabs. I see how people get so attached to old air cooled thumpers, everything is so accessable and simple to work on.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts