Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if it was me or the dealer but like so many others I've now got a snapped fairing lug thing at the front under the light.

Useless design that Honda!

So, does anyone know what type of plastic the fairings are made from? .... or have experience with a good strong repair method / plastic cement type etc for this bike?

Super glue and good intentions didn't do it :grin2:

·
Registered
1 Posts
If they're like my wife's #$%^& CB500X which breaks tabs like no tomorrow, they're ABS.

It only occurred into me to look inside the fairing for the 'stamp' that shows what the plastic is - after I'd Permatex'd the fairing tabs 2x (epoxy has a hard time taking the stress of fairing removal).

Next time, I'll just use everyday plumbing ABS primer/cleaner & cement. Also has benefit of instant bond.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I saw that Bondic ad the other day - does look impressive.
I tried the super glue but forgot the baking powder - I've heard about it before just didn't think of it - thanks for the reminder.

Cheers folks, I've got a few options now.

Araldite
Super glue with baking soda
Plumbing ABS primer / cement

... now Ive just got to clean the failed super glue(s) off !! I will update if / when I get it to stick.

·
Registered
26 Posts
also for extra strength, Araldite/epoxy with a small piece of woven fibreglass cloth. Might cope with flex a bit better.
1/ superglue the tab to “tack” it on
2/ Wet the cloth separately, then lay it over your joint

·
Registered
95 Posts
I had one of the little plastic lugs that push into the rubber grommets break off when I was inspecting the air filter the last time. That pesky one that at the very front corner above the headlights.
The lug itself was lost as well for good measure.

I fixed this as I do most of my plastic fixes.
I drill a hole into both sides and used a copper wire to join them, and then use a liberal amount of araldite. Make sure it is well cured before reassembly.
In cracks, I will use the wire like stitches from the back side, and also use a dremel to grind out a little groove for each piece of wire.

I have also used this technique with plastic welding with a soldering iron. Also works well but it is useful to have some doner plastic around.

Hope this helps out.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I don't know if it was me or the dealer but like so many others I've now got a snapped fairing lug thing at the front under the light.

Useless design that Honda!

So, does anyone know what type of plastic the fairings are made from? .... or have experience with a good strong repair method / plastic cement type etc for this bike?

Super glue and good intentions didn't do it :grin2:
Managed to snap a part of my fairing during a little spill.
looked high and low for a strong fix that a monkey could do...as others have said Araldite is great as long as you have the time to let it dry properly!
If you don't, I found this stuff to be flipping awesome and super fast and available from Halfords of all places!

Supafix glue

add on to that its only just under a tenner and sets in seconds and you can sand it too. My fix is still strong and I'm well happy.
Hope it helps!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts