Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

I have been a long time stalker of these forums as AT was always a bike I wanted to get. Finally I have made the decision that it is the time to get my feet wet and purchase one for myself. The closer I get to buying the more I am thinking whether to just wait a get some more miles with the smaller bike under me.

1. My skill level literally consists of owning a BMW F650GS (2003) for about 5 year and altogether I have done 1000 miles (kids, work, marriage, you know how it goes).
2. AT would be the bike the I would love to "grow up" with. As my main idea is to use it as a commuter (Live in Slovakia daily travel to Vienna city center. Roughly 44 miles.)
3. I am mentally prepared that I will drop the bike, I understand that it is inevitable with my skill and the sheer weight of it (despite being 6ft 2inch)
4. Planning on taking safety courses next summer as well as off road courses
5. I will not be getting the DCT as that seems a bit too fancy for my tastes

The only worry I have is that it might be a bit powerful for me (BMW had 37HP), I understand there are power modes in the new AT so my question is how crazy is this bike to handle?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2019 ATAS DCT
300 Posts
If you can handle the bmw you will be fine on the AT. Yes it has more hp but it is a smooth delivery not like an old 2 stroke yz450. You have the right mind set going, safety course wouldn't hurt anyone. Crash bars for off road use for sure. Getting more miles under your belt is the best advise, know your limits. Come on in, the water's just fine.

·
Registered
CRF1100 DCT
27 Posts
Just be careful for the first while and you will be fine.
I haven't been on bikes for 1/4 century and the last one I had was a CBR600
I bought a CRF1100 DCT two months or so ago and just took things easy on quiet roads until I got used to bikes again.
I am only 5'8" but I can get both feet (almost) flat on the ground with the seat in the low position.
Don't discount the DCT, I decided to go with that, mainly because I have slight arthritis in my finger joints so not having to constantly use a clutch was great but even if I didn't have that I think I would still have gone with the DCT, it is great. Only thing about the DCT is on low speed manoeuvres you need to use the rear brake rather than the clutch as you would on a standard bike, so that may take a short time to learn to use.

·
Registered
CRF1100 DCT
27 Posts
Oh and regarding power modes, yes there are 4, at first I set up a user mode with power on its lowest setting (all 4 segments ) and it was fine, I gradually increased that as I gained confidence and now mainly use it with full power.
The Drive/Sport modes differences are much more noticeable than power I think, at first I mainly used drive mode but then started using the Sport 1 mode and now I tend to use Sport 2 most of the time.

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
3,180 Posts
Hi and welcome, you‘ve ridden before so it shouldn’t be a major issue riding the AT, from your BMW to the AT your not going to notice a huge difference in weight. But it will be a somewhat handful for you because of your lack of time just riding. Then too so will any bike bigger then the 650 you were just getting use to, but no impossible; as Hood suggested nice quite rides in low or no traffic areas (or times) and put more miles on this one then your last and in no time you’ll feel comfortable riding it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thank you very much for all the comments. This has actually been very helpful and reassuring to me. I might just go and buy it now to be honest, not sure there is a point in waiting. Once I have it I will upload the pictures here.

One more question, what crash bars to get? With me, they are a necessity but what are the ones you have and your experience?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2019 ATAS DCT
300 Posts
Next you can ask what oil is best, lol.

·
Registered
CRF1100 DCT
27 Posts
Thank you very much for all the comments. This has actually been very helpful and reassuring to me. I might just go and buy it now to be honest, not sure there is a point in waiting. Once I have it I will upload the pictures here.

One more question, what crash bars to get? With me, they are a necessity but what are the ones you have and your experience?

Thanks!
I was looking at the aluminium ones from AS3 Performance but sadly they do not have ones that fit the CRF1100 DCT and it always seems to be 2 weeks away, then 2 weeks away then.... well you get the idea :D

So searching here I saw the Heed bars seem to be well liked so I decided to go with a set of them. I ordered Monday evening and they are due to be delivered this Friday. Total cost, including the import charges was £274 which is very competitive so hopefully I will like them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@Hood Thanks for the suggestion. I did look at the Honda crash bars but they were (of course) fairly expensive. In any case thank for all the suggestions in here, it is much appreciated!

·
Registered
2019 ATAS DCT
300 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Just a thought here from somone who has been riding for many many years. I see lots of post from newer riders that worry about moving up to a heavier more powerful bike and my response is pretty much the same.
Learn and practice. If you've rideen before and felt reasonably comfortable you will be fine.
take time to learn the bike - each bike has its own pros and cons and you just need to learn the nature of the bike.
Brakes!!! Learn how to brake, very few accidents I've seen have anything to do with horsepower, but alot have to do with improper braking.

Just my .02

1 - 12 of 12 Posts