Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
More farkleing this evening; after much thought about additional fuel carrying, types and capacity, I decided to put a mount on my custom Haliburton ultra-thin top box for a 3 gallon Rotopax can.

I liked Cory's Camel Pro hard plumbed in system and think it is a great solution; however, I decided I did not want to carry it all the time, and want to put a tool box in the spot where it goes. (also choked a little on the very fair price.)

This left the Rotopax as a next best viable solution. I contemplated putting one on the inside of the left Kriega soft bag, between the bag and the mount. That would have been a better spot for center of gravity, but would have required adapting longer straps, and frankly, I was just too lazy.

So I put a locking mount on the lid of my skinny top box, with a reinforced backing plate on the inside, and acquired a 3 gallon Rotopax can. I may pick up a smaller one, at some point, as well, for days when having 1 gallon extra or 1 gallon fuel and an extra gallon of water would be the ticket. Most of the time, I don't need any and will be pleased to leave the can in the garage.

However, last ride with some new friends drank a bunch more gas than I expected on some long and rough mountain dirt roads that had me in 2nd gear a lot of the time. I had "6 miles left" according to the fuel monitor, prior to finally getting to a station. That convinced me that there are times that I would not mind having some extra gas on board.

The Rotopax can locks down tight with no rattleing. I put 6 one inch diameter furniture anti-skid pads on the case ribs for the can to float on. They compress a little when the Rotopax is tightened down. If I don't loose the key, it unlocks and comes off in about 30 seconds.

If I choose to fill it to capacity, I think it will be about all weight that I would want on that poor little rack, up that high.

So anyway, here is what it looks like:

·
Super Moderator
1,140 Posts
And to boot the color matches too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts