Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2017 DCT
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
More farkleing this evening; after much thought about additional fuel carrying, types and capacity, I decided to put a mount on my custom Haliburton ultra-thin top box for a 3 gallon Rotopax can.

I liked Cory's Camel Pro hard plumbed in system and think it is a great solution; however, I decided I did not want to carry it all the time, and want to put a tool box in the spot where it goes. (also choked a little on the very fair price.)

This left the Rotopax as a next best viable solution. I contemplated putting one on the inside of the left Kriega soft bag, between the bag and the mount. That would have been a better spot for center of gravity, but would have required adapting longer straps, and frankly, I was just too lazy.

So I put a locking mount on the lid of my skinny top box, with a reinforced backing plate on the inside, and acquired a 3 gallon Rotopax can. I may pick up a smaller one, at some point, as well, for days when having 1 gallon extra or 1 gallon fuel and an extra gallon of water would be the ticket. Most of the time, I don't need any and will be pleased to leave the can in the garage.

However, last ride with some new friends drank a bunch more gas than I expected on some long and rough mountain dirt roads that had me in 2nd gear a lot of the time. I had "6 miles left" according to the fuel monitor, prior to finally getting to a station. That convinced me that there are times that I would not mind having some extra gas on board.

The Rotopax can locks down tight with no rattleing. I put 6 one inch diameter furniture anti-skid pads on the case ribs for the can to float on. They compress a little when the Rotopax is tightened down. If I don't loose the key, it unlocks and comes off in about 30 seconds.

If I choose to fill it to capacity, I think it will be about all weight that I would want on that poor little rack, up that high.

So anyway, here is what it looks like:

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
3,006 Posts
And to boot the color matches too.

·
Registered
415 Posts
More farkleing this evening; after much thought about additional fuel carrying, types and capacity, I decided to put a mount on my custom Haliburton ultra-thin top box for a 3 gallon Rotopax can.

I liked Cory's Camel Pro hard plumbed in system and think it is a great solution; however, I decided I did not want to carry it all the time, and want to put a tool box in the spot where it goes. (also choked a little on the very fair price.)

This left the Rotopax as a next best viable solution. I contemplated putting one on the inside of the left Kriega soft bag, between the bag and the mount. That would have been a better spot for center of gravity, but would have required adapting longer straps, and frankly, I was just too lazy.

So I put a locking mount on the lid of my skinny top box, with a reinforced backing plate on the inside, and acquired a 3 gallon Rotopax can. I may pick up a smaller one, at some point, as well, for days when having 1 gallon extra or 1 gallon fuel and an extra gallon of water would be the ticket. Most of the time, I don't need any and will be pleased to leave the can in the garage.

However, last ride with some new friends drank a bunch more gas than I expected on some long and rough mountain dirt roads that had me in 2nd gear a lot of the time. I had "6 miles left" according to the fuel monitor, prior to finally getting to a station. That convinced me that there are times that I would not mind having some extra gas on board.

The Rotopax can locks down tight with no rattleing. I put 6 one inch diameter furniture anti-skid pads on the case ribs for the can to float on. They compress a little when the Rotopax is tightened down. If I don't loose the key, it unlocks and comes off in about 30 seconds.

If I choose to fill it to capacity, I think it will be about all weight that I would want on that poor little rack, up that high.

So anyway, here is what it looks like:
Another solution if you don't use that back seat (I see you have no rear pegs) is replace it with a fuel tank. I have a 8.5L Nomad tank that moves the weight well forward, connects into your main tank and still lets you use your rear rack. It is also a quick disconnect unit, remove 3 bolts, unhook/connect the dry connect fittings and you can put the rear seat back in. If you are buying in the US or EU it would be very cheap because or $ is rubbish at the moment.
20190531_151120.jpg

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
3,006 Posts
Another solution if you don't use that back seat (I see you have no rear pegs) is replace it with a fuel tank. I have a 8.5L Nomad tank that moves the weight well forward, connects into your main tank and still lets you use your rear rack. It is also a quick disconnect unit, remove 3 bolts, unhook/connect the dry connect fittings and you can put the rear seat back in. If you are buying in the US or EU it would be very cheap because or $ is rubbish at the moment. View attachment 54153
I like that this tank is at least centered on the bike (unlike the Camel one). To bad I have a Corbin seat or I’d pick one up..

·
Registered
415 Posts
I like that this tank is at least centered on the bike (unlike the Camel one). To bad I have a Corbin seat or I’d pick one up..
Its other advantage is if you are using really bad fuel I run a Guglutech filter sock in the main tank plus one in this tank and a inline filter between this tank and the main tank. So it has to run through two filters from this tank into the main tank , so when the gas pumps look like this !! you don't feel so bad. The back tank will fill the main tank when its on the centre stand through the two filters.

·
Super Moderator
6,419 Posts
There are actual seven-segment LCD digits on that pump? So it isn't too old, but it looks it.

I like the rooks at each end.

·
Registered
2017 DCT
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I kind of like the Nomad tank; definitely something to ponder...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts