Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday a buddy and I rode a dirt road that had been rained on that morning. The dirt turned to a very slippery clay. We made the joke that the clay would stick to everything but our tires wouldn’t stick to it. It didn’t help that I was on the factory tires which don’t grip in the dirt nor do they clean out.

After trying to push the bike up a technical hill climb the front fender got so clogged with packed in clay that it locked up the front tire. We slid the bike back down the hill, dismounted the fender and cleaned the mud out with a rock. After that we summited the hill but the sticky clay did not end. About a mile later I’m cruising at about 25mph when suddenly the front tire locks again, slamming me and the bike into the ground! First crash on my pristine AT!

I’ve seen the front fender modifications and heard about the stock fenders clogging up but never thought it’d be necessary for me. Learned my lesson!

I only came here to cry and whine about my crash and to warn others about the potential for a fender clogging crash. Let the internet bashing commence! BTW I’m looking for both side panels if anyone has a line on some for sale. eBay came up with nothing and the classified section here had none. I guess I’ll have to buy new.
I didn’t get many pictures mostly because I was too pissed that it happened but here are a few.

Attachments

·
Registered
990 Posts
That's horrible luck. Can happen to anyone. I had the same thing happen when my Varadero was new - fully clogged front fender and trying to manhandle a 650+ pound bike.

I have the Rugged Roads 1" fender lift. To be honest, I haven't had to put it to the test yet. Chances are it would still clog up with mud just a bit slower and maybe give time to keep cleaning off the tire/wheel. I'm not a hardcore offroad rider so I can't justify the $300+ to change to a high fender. Yet....

Investing in crash guards next? :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's horrible luck. Can happen to anyone. I had the same thing happen when my Varadero was new - fully clogged front fender and trying to manhandle a 650+ pound bike.

I have the Rugged Roads 1" fender lift. To be honest, I haven't had to put it to the test yet. Chances are it would still clog up with mud just a bit slower and maybe give time to keep cleaning off the tire/wheel. I'm not a hardcore offroad rider so I can't justify the $300+ to change to a high fender. Yet....

Investing in crash guards next? /forum/images/smilies/smile.gif
Ya I had been itching to buy some crash bars and had planned to do it but I just got a $530 property tax bill. Guess the state will be taking my money instead of my bike.

I agree with you about the high fender kit. It’s too expensive and I’m not a fan of the looks anyway. I have a dirt bike for the real off roading. In fact I should’ve been on it for this ride but I didn’t know what my friend was taking me to.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
AltRider Fender Riser Kit for the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin, as well as several other companies make this riser. It basically gives your fender about one more inch of clearance for just over $50. This may not have been enough to save you from the crash, but who knows. Certainly less than the $320 for the high fender kit.

Also here is where you can order new faring and panel parts
Thanks for the tip. I ended up ordering the OEM parts from MrCycles.com. Cheapest I could find.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts