Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All
Recently purchased a second hand 2019 AT Standard and looking at options to raise the front fender. AltRider and Rox both have front fender riser kits, though state they are not compatible with the 2018 onward AT’s due to the difference in the brake line routing.
Has anyone installed the fender riser kit on 2018 and later models, if so how did you solve the brake line routing issue?
Thanks

·
Registered
367 Posts
Hello Toage, and firstly a sincere regards concerning the losses being experienced in Australia. Very heart-breaking learning of all the devastating events as a result of the wild fires.

Welcome to the Forum. I am unable to answer your question, however, fortunately the Forum is rich in owner experience and hopefully a member can respond with a suggestion.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Double Thumper

Yes, has been a horrible start to our Summer with the fires raging across the country, will take a long time for those areas to recover and the wildlife to return.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Hi All
Recently purchased a second hand 2019 AT Standard and looking at options to raise the front fender. AltRider and Rox both have front fender riser kits, though state they are not compatible with the 2018 onward AT’s due to the difference in the brake line routing.
Has anyone installed the fender riser kit on 2018 and later models, if so how did you solve the brake line routing issue?
Thanks
I went with a Camel on my 18 ATAS and had no issues...
Post here: https://www.africatwinforum.com/forum/113-honda-crf1000l-africa-twin-general-discussion-forum/35213-high-fender-kit.html
Got it here: https://camel-adv.com/products/africa-twin-high-fender-kit

BTW there are also these if you want to just raise it a little bit, but I don’t know how well they work.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000344873123.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.45f673f1fTNqaH&algo_pvid=e3ec574a-54df-4c5a-a48b-b47298fb8303&algo_expid=e3ec574a-54df-4c5a-a48b-b47298fb8303-3&btsid=677caf1a-b6bf-4e3e-96ab-bebd4a59d4f7&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_8,searchweb201603_53

Tho I will add there was no issues with Camel and the brake lines, because they include new braided lines and I like the fact that it has a mounted transfer block, see install vid: https://youtu.be/Lq0DzS3xZ8c

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks AT-Dragon
The Camel looks like the best option, the video was helpful to see what is required.
Looking at the fender riser kit, it seems with the 2018 and later models would need to have custom made brake lines to work.
Cheers

·
Registered
792 Posts
Thanks AT-Dragon
The Camel looks like the best option, the video was helpful to see what is required.
Looking at the fender riser kit, it seems with the 2018 and later models would need to have custom made brake lines to work.
Cheers
No problem, you’re welcome

Yea, (of course) I thought so too..
Pros: braided brake lines - central aluminum transfer block - choice in picking fender & fork guards - better braces of brake lines.

Cons: I thought a bit pricey (but turns out well worth the $$$ for excellent quality and thought out product).

·
Registered
161 Posts
AT-Dragon;318043 BTW there are also these if you want to just raise it a little bit said:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000344873123.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.45f673f1fTNqaH&algo_pvid=e3ec574a-54df-4c5a-a48b-b47298fb8303&algo_expid=e3ec574a-54df-4c5a-a48b-b47298fb8303-3&btsid=677caf1a-b6bf-4e3e-96ab-bebd4a59d4f7&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_8,searchweb201603_53[/url]

https://youtu.be/Lq0DzS3xZ8c
I think I like the ones that are just raised a little. I have an extended fender on the front because I kept getting my feet wet or muddy on my lunch break. A few of my co-workers get it - but most look at me like someone wanting to make a boat out or marshmallows.

ie: When I came back from lunch today one of my co-workers said he thought I was leaving for the day until he saw me bump the curb and head into the construction zone. He asked me if I was looking for someone over there because he saw me circle the area a couple of times. I told him no - I just like to go over there and go through the construction zone, and circle around the water retention pond and such. He was like - but you didn't come back out. No - there's a trail that goes through the woods and follows the fenceline and comes out on Riata Way, and I take it back out to 183. He asked - A trail? Yeah - I made a series of trails. Why? To get to the fencline. So you could go that way through the woods to get to the road over this way. Yep. And theres the dramatic pause where I think he's imagining me building a boat out of marshmallows as I scrape some mud off my fender...

·
Registered
792 Posts
I think I like the ones that are just raised a little. I have an extended fender on the front because I kept getting my feet wet or muddy on my lunch break. A few of my co-workers get it - but most look at me like someone wanting to make a boat out or marshmallows.

ie: When I came back from lunch today one of my co-workers said he thought I was leaving for the day until he saw me bump the curb and head into the construction zone. He asked me if I was looking for someone over there because he saw me circle the area a couple of times. I told him no - I just like to go over there and go through the construction zone, and circle around the water retention pond and such. He was like - but you didn't come back out. No - there's a trail that goes through the woods and follows the fenceline and comes out on Riata Way, and I take it back out to 183. He asked - A trail? Yeah - I made a series of trails. Why? To get to the fencline. So you could go that way through the woods to get to the road over this way. Yep. And theres the dramatic pause where I think he's imagining me building a boat out of marshmallows as I scrape some mud off my fender...
Yes that is a big issue with a high-rise fender you will get a LOT of lower spray/mud on your legs/feet. I definitely give Honda credit for that, the OEM front fender did do a great job of helping keep the muck/water from the lower part of your body. It is just an aesthetic thing for me, otherwise I would of kept the OEM fender cause it does a MUCH better job at being a fender...
Yea my trip home usually doesn’t take me by trails, but, I can go a bit longer route and hit some tails and mud holes. Then I’ll come to work the next day with a mucked up ATAS and one of the guys I work with is a nut about keeping things clean, it just bothers him to no end when he sees my bike like that. He’ll usually aske me at lest 3 or more times if I’m gonna go to the car wash and wash my bike off >:) I usually leave it mucky for a day or two. ROFL, by then, I’ll be getting comments from the Harley owners at work about it too...”are you ever gonna wash that thing?” I’ll usually respond with something like “it’s a manly bike and not afraid of some dirt, not like your little garage princess”
Some of them spend more time cleaning and polishing them than they do actually riding them..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts