Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, did my first oil change today after work, then an hour later had my first crash :ROFLMAO:

Got cross rutted at about 15 miles an hour and got chucked off the bike. The Outback Motortek bars did their job (not a scratch on the bike), bark busters held up well, doubletake mirrors folded out of the way. Giant Loop stuff held up well too, Round the World panniers have no damage, one small scuff on the possibles pouch on my crash bar.

No damage to me, my riding Firstgear jacket the kneepad on my jeans saved me. Head didn’t touch the ground. The rest of the body damage is pre existing...

Unfortunately my first instinct was to stand the bike up instead of taking a dirt nap pic, so no new avatar for me :confused:

Of course I call my mom since I have to get some paperwork to her this weekend, tell her I crashed and she starts freaking out. Apparently she thinks I put $1300 in crash bars on this for decoration....

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Then to make my evening even more interesting, I stopped at the gas station to fill my bike up. The guy at the pump next to me was checking out my bike, come to find out he runs ADV rides out of one of the local ski resorts!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Always, ALWAYS good to hear a rider sort-a walks away from ANY crash, of any speed, on any bike. In the old days of poorly designed bikes, LOTS of stuff would have bit the dust. But, it seems that many AT units, mine included, seems to be well protected when the AT suddenly becomes sleepy. Glad you and the AT are able to ride off in to the sunset again.
Scott

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yup, could have been a lot worse. Just before this I was going quite a bit faster due to the trail having some whoops and I wanted to see how the suspension handled them. Very familiar with this trail, but the last bike I took down it was an XR400 about 10 years ago. This is a lot more bike than I am used to off road.

Gotta say, glad I’m a big guy and I do strongman and powerlifting as one of my other hobbies. I knew it was going to be heavy, but it was heavier than I expected.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Yup, could have been a lot worse. Just before this I was going quite a bit faster due to the trail having some whoops and I wanted to see how the suspension handled them. Very familiar with this trail, but the last bike I took down it was an XR400 about 10 years ago. This is a lot more bike than I am used to off road.

Gotta say, glad I’m a big guy and I do strongman and powerlifting as one of my other hobbies. I knew it was going to be heavy, but it was heavier than I expected.
Yes Sir,
I don't know if you've read my thread about Twins falling and who's picked them back up, how they did it, and what kind of shape/age they're in but, that thread stemmed from me having an oops when my 2018 AT/AS DCT was less than a week old and, I screwed up and made a U-turn on the pavement and hit some light sand and it was on an incline street. Well, as soon as my front tire hit that tiny bit of sand, that was all she wrote.

Based on the fact that the bike was laying down, with tank facing a down hill incline, there was no way on this planet, that I, all 6' 2.5" and 244 lbs, was gonna pick it back up. Luckily, if ya want to call it luck in that situation, there were two people close by that came to my rescue. They helped get the big girl back up on her feet and, I rode away, damaged pride and all. But, the Twin came away with only a broken brake handle. I welded it up ordered a replacement. Since then, I've ordered and received an Eastbound Motowinch for whenever I hit like circumstances, on or off road.
Scott

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes Sir,
I don't know if you've read my thread about Twins falling and who's picked them back up, how they did it, and what kind of shape/age they're in but, that thread stemmed from me having an oops when my 2018 AT/AS DCT was less than a week old and, I screwed up and made a U-turn on the pavement and hit some light sand and it was on an incline street. Well, as soon as my front tire hit that tiny bit of sand, that was all she wrote.

Based on the fact that the bike was laying down, with tank facing a down hill incline, there was no way on this planet, that I, all 6' 2.5" and 244 lbs, was gonna pick it back up. Luckily, if ya want to call it luck in that situation, there were two people close by that came to my rescue. They helped get the big girl back up on her feet and, I rode away, damaged pride and all. But, the Twin came away with only a broken brake handle. I welded it up ordered a replacement. Since then, I've ordered and received an Eastbound Motowinch for whenever I hit like circumstances, on or off road.
Scott
Yup I saw that one. I was actually going to shove my bike over in my yard after reading it just to get a feel for the weight of her. I guess doing the real test in a mud hole is acceptable also.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Yup I saw that one. I was actually going to shove my bike over in my yard after reading it just to get a feel for the weight of her. I guess doing the real test in a mud hole is acceptable also.
Yep, the "Mud hole" incident is a well qualified test for sure.
Scott

·
Registered
222 Posts
Cross-tracking...hadn't heard that term before but am intimately familiar with the problem. She wants to go one way with or without you while you struggle mightily to change her mind. Twice this has happened to me here in Florida. Both times I stayed in the saddle but the ride was shot through with some serious adrenaline dumping. She's a big girl and has a lot of momentum when she's all loaded up. It can take a lot of energy input to overcome that momentum.

Thump-thump-thump...that's Willy knocking on wood, again!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts