Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a 2018 Africa Twin Adventure Sports DCT today. It is completely stock and like new with only 916 miles AND a transferred Honda warranty (from prior owner) good through July 2024!!! Honda shop said it looks like the 600 mile service was done as chain was perfect and lubed and oil looked brand new. They went through it in detail and recommended no maintenance until 4k miles. The tank recall has not been done so they ordered the parts and will perform next week. In this market, I'm happy with the deal at $10,500 + tax.

I've already been introduced and on this forum asking questions and leveraging your collective insight. I'm sure I will have more questions in the after market....

Registered
'22 AT DCT
Bought a 2018 Africa Twin Adventure Sports DCT today. It is completely stock and like new with only 916 miles AND a transferred Honda warranty (from prior owner) good through July 2024!!! Honda shop said it looks like the 600 mile service was done as chain was perfect and lubed and oil looked brand new. They went through it in detail and recommended no maintenance until 4k miles. The tank recall has not been done so they ordered the parts and will perform next week. In this market, I'm happy with the deal at $10,500 + tax.

I've already been introduced and on this forum asking questions and leveraging your collective insight. I'm sure I will have more questions in the after market....
Wow, that's a nice deal. Wished I have your deal.
Enjoy the bike.

If the 600 mile service is in any doubt, just replace the oil + filter to be doubly sure. They are cheap stuffs.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Although I call it the perfect bike, it did not come with an owners manual or service book - so I have to find a manual at least. Also, I'd like to put a center stand on it to make chain maintenance easier. I see the Honda OEM stand on line or is there an aftermarket brand that is better??? Or is the center stand so basic the brand doesn't matter??

Registered
'22 AT DCT
Although I call it the perfect bike, it did not come with an owners manual or service book - so I have to find a manual at least. Also, I'd like to put a center stand on it to make chain maintenance easier. I see the Honda OEM stand on line or is there an aftermarket brand that is better??? Or is the center stand so basic the brand doesn't matter??
I installed the Honda OEM one.
Get it from Partzilla, they usually have better pricing.

And, you will need one of these to install the springs of the center stand:

Owner's Manual is free and it's online:

Service Manuals are not free. You can buy it from Helm:
Please verify the model number is correct before you buy.

Registered
In this case, the OEM is good.
The ATAS should have come with it.

Registered
2019 Africa Twin Adventure Sports
Adventure Sports of that era do not come with a centre stand. If you are shopping for one make sure you are getting the one tailored to the ATAS, it will be a touch taller than the centre stand for the regular AT. Congrats on the purchase!!! We need pictures... or else it never happened.

Registered
The 2018/2019 AT and ATAS did not come with a center stand. It was optional. The OEM is fine. Regardless of whose stand you order, make sure you order the correct one as the ATAS stand is a bit longer to compensate for the additional suspension travel and ground clearance. Chain maintenance is easier with the center stand, but there is a catch. When you do your first chain adjustment, follow the instructions in the owner's manual with the bike on the side stand. When you are sure you have the correct amount of slack, place the bike on the center stand. Now measure the slack again and record this new value somewhere for future reference. The chain will be far too tight if you use the side stand measurement while the bike is on the center stand.

Registered
Congrats. I have the exact same bike. Get the OEM centerstand. The taller Adventure Sports part number is 08M70-MKK-D21.
Swap the stock tires and upgrade the suspension springs are my suggestions for your next move. Significant improvement if you plan to ride off road.
Be sure to replace the oil in the fork and shock while changing the springs - it's that bad.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you ibpassngas: I'm 250 pounds so probably should do something with suspension, I'm not sure what the max weight is on the stock set up. I do plan on doing off road on at least gravel and easier trails. I'm researching tires now but am overwhelmed by the choices. Trails around here are a mix of rocks and loose shale. I dumped my last bike (450RL) several times in the loose stuff with TKC-80 tires, it was like riding on marbles. I don't mind changing tires more frequently if they hook up well in the dirt and allow me to do the twisty canyons aggressively at the same time. What did you put on?

Registered
I went with the Mission Trailmax tires. Seem to handle everything OK with exception of mud. You'll get good tire recommendations from this site.
I purchased my fork and shock springs from K-Tech. I weigh 180lbs and ride off-road about 60% or more.

Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Light Automotive tire

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I really like what you've done the your bike, two more questions if you don't mind, ibpassngas....

1) Are those Barkbusters Storm? 2) Your grips look thicker and more soft, what are they? My stock grips are a tad buzzy and small. Did you have to do anything with handlebar end weights when you switched out?

Thanks much

Registered
Negative - the barkbusters are the VPS handguards. The barkbuster mount kit comes with a bar end weight and screw that threaded into the stock bars nicely. The barkbuster mount kit was part number BHG-062-05-NP.

Man you have good attention for detail. Yes I modified the grips as the stock ones were both too hard and too skinny for my 2XL mits. I installed ProGrip 737 Dual Sport Rally grips. I purchased two sets of these grips and used the throttle grip from each package (larger ID). I cut both ends off each grip and slid it over the existing grip (not easy). This way the stock heated grips still work great and I get a thicker, softer grip. Love it now!

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle Automotive design Bicycle part
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Bicycle part Automotive exterior

I have the Camel ADV Windscreen Brace, Garmin Zumo XT, and the MotoPumps GPS mount all hardwired to the front accessory plug behind the front fairing.

Hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts