Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Boy, I don’t know how it’s gone for the rest of you 2018 ATAS owners, but lining up my two main add-ons, a good set of panniers and some engine protection, has been a slow process, waiting for manufacturers to catch up, etc.

But I just placed my orders and I have on the way:

A set of Touratech Zega Mundo Panniers (finally became available):
https://touratech-usa.com/Store/Zega-Mundo-Pannier-System-Honda-Africa-Twin-CRF1000L

And Hepco & Becker Engine Protection bars that will work in conjunction with my OEM upper bars.
https://www.hepco-shop.de/meinbike/...-africa-twin-adventure-sports-ab-bj-2018.html
Link to stainless set (better pics):
https://www.hepco-shop.de/meinbike/...-africa-twin-adventure-sports-ab-bj-2018.html
I got the black set because it’s the only one in stock anywhere I can find(!)—and it’s cheaper anyway, so why not. I was going to wait for the stainless but the more I looked at the pictures, the black set sort of melds into the bike in a non-obtrusive way. I'm sort of happy I was forced into the black now; but I’ll know more after install.

And I added the Tank-Guard bags from Hepco & Becker, not so much for the storage, as for extra cushioning in case of a fall or tip-over. I figure I’ll fill them with wipe down cloth or towels, anything soft. Gives me an extra few inches of clearance in a fall and protects the upper bars.
https://www.hepco-shop.de/meinbike/...00l-africa-twin-adventure-sports-ab-2018.html

I’ll be adding a set of H&B Handguards too—as soon as *they* become available (for the ATAS) at the US store I'm using! Dạmn.

I didn’t go with any of the other engine guards because few work with the OEM uppers (or aren't available yet for the ATAS, e.g., Touratech's—like those you see in the pictures for the panniers, above) and I just plain like the way the bike looks with them in place. For my anticipated riding, they’ll work just fine along with the addition of the engine bars and rugged panniers (and even the bar bags). I'm not sure why the OEM bars get such a bad rap anyway; they may not be the most robust fairing protection, but they do appear to be fairly solid. Solid enough for the average rider. If I was going to slam it off-road, I might rethink them. Time will tell… I’ll let you know in a few years.

With any luck, I’ll have everything here by early next week. I'll take pics and share. I'm sure others are in the same position I’ve been in and I’ll be happy to share my experiences with everything.

Looking forward to sharing soon.

Best, Gary

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hello Gary,

i got my ATAS 2 weekends ago, and i just finished ordering the protection for my bike, i got:

Handguards:

Engine guard and skid plate:

https://bboffroad.com.au/bash-plate-honda-crf1000l-dakar.html

i received them from Australia in just 5 days. And, they are monstruous!

Headlight Guards:

http://www.altrider.com/altrider-st...the-honda-crf1000l-africa-twin/pid/2193/cid/1

Crash Bars: I got the uppers and the mids:

https://usshop.outbackmotortek.com/product/upper-crash-bars-honda-africa-twin-1000/

I think i might be getting them this Friday.

I'll post a pick of the bikevwhen I'm done with the protection parts.

cheers!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Man, that's one hẹll of a skid plate/ engine protection!
You're certainly more secure than I'll be. I'm a bit envious now... might have liked that skid plate/ engine projection combo--very cool.
But I'm one of those guys in my 50's--my bike should be fine in any off-road incident I get into... it's my bones I'm more worried about.
Do share pics when you're all set up. Very nice.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Dude!

I was thinking the same last night, "my bike is protected, but what about my body?".

I'm 35, but I've got a couple of screws in my left knee, and a rod on my left femur, so I gotta be extra careful.

So, I only got boots, and shin and knee guards, I still need to order something for my thighs, and upper body.

But, I'm looking on Craigslist for good deals.

Cheers dude!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I picked up a Klim Apex Jacket on sale for my upper body. Pulling the thing off the hanger and putting it on gives me an idea of what medieval knights must have felt like, gearing up. It must weigh at least 10 lbs. A very nice jacket, though... couldn't be happier with it.
And I got a good pair of boots for the full range of riding – Alpinestars Oscar Twin Drystars. Comfortable as hẹll and nice looking, with solid protection from toe to ankle.
But I'm still in the market for leg protection—probably go with Klim jeans or over-pants, the ạss/ tail protection is a must.
I picked up some stout gloves too, but have to say, I don’t like wearing gloves unless I have to.

·
Registered
170 Posts
ok, i'm gonna check out Klim and i'm gonna start buying the protection for my body, im gonna go to a store to meassure everything.

cheers!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Hope you guys with the engine protection can post up some picks as I've been looking for some for my ATAS DCT
Brother and I bought the Hepco and Becker stainless steel bars for our ATAS, work well with standard upper accessory bar and look nice. You do have to remove the exhaust system to fit them, so give yourself a couple of hours to fit.

Attachments

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great picture. The bike looks beautiful with those Hepco & Becker guards; seamlessly integrated with the OEM uppers.
And yeah, I read that bit about removing the exhaust for install in the installation pdf. Not looking forward to that, but we do what we have to.
And those are some sweet looking Pirelli tires too--are those the 60/40's? Working out ok?
Thanks, Gary

·
Registered
171 Posts
Great picture. The bike looks beautiful with those Hepco & Becker guards; seamlessly integrated with the OEM uppers.
And yeah, I read that bit about removing the exhaust for install in the installation pdf. Not looking forward to that, but we do what we have to.
And those are some sweet looking Pirelli tires too--are those the 60/40's? Working out ok?
Thanks, Gary
Pirelli Rally STR’s are great, far superior to the OEM tyres. Work very well on road and on the gravel tracks, that I occasionally encounter.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the ref on the Pirelli tires. I'm looking for a good set I can leave on, not have to swap out, in the 60/40 or range. More likely I'll be riding closer to 90/10 (on/off road) but when I am off-road, I don't want my tires letting me down too much. But I want a smooth on-road ride too.
Ps. I'll take a pic and share as soon as I have my black H&B engine guards on. Will hopefully have my panniers on by then too--they should be getting here a day or two before the engine guards. But I'll have to wait on the H&B handlebar guards and the bar bags--both back-ordered, alas.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hand guards

Brother and I bought the Hepco and Becker stainless steel bars for our ATAS, work well with standard upper accessory bar and look nice. You do have to remove the exhaust system to fit them, so give yourself a couple of hours to fit.
What hand guards are those and are you happy with them? Also, why did you change the blue bar end weights to black?

·
Registered
171 Posts
What hand guards are those and are you happy with them? Also, why did you change the blue bar end weights to black?
They are Barkbusters, had them on my last bike and very happy with them. You can’t use the original blue bar end, the kit comes with the black ones, I would’ve preferred to have had the blue, but not possible.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
That could be the best protected engine/ fairing/ front end I've yet to see on an Africa Twin. That fricking skid-plate/ engine protector is massive. And you have the radiator, lights, and handlebars covered too.
Nice. Very nice.
Thanks for the pics!

·
Registered
170 Posts
no fitment issues, the skid plate/engine guard dont interfere with the crash bars.

it was a bit tedious the instalations, but with the proper tools, it was ok.

i'm gonna take it up to Lake Arrowhead and Big Bear tomorrow to hit the trails. i'll keep you guys posted.

cheers!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Do the Hepco Bars fit the manual version as well as the DCT?

hepco-and-becker-luggage.co.uk state that: Will not fit if you have the optional gear lever fitted. Optional? So confused.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Do the Hepco Bars fit the manual version as well as the DCT?

hepco-and-becker-luggage.co.uk state that: Will not fit if you have the optional gear lever fitted. Optional? So confused.
I think that's in reference to the optional foot shifter that you can buy for DCT models.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts