Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! Before you go mad (with reason) saying its a dumb idea, read my personal experience and facts:
I've never owned a bike tho I've ridden several times in different bikes (although none over 500cc).
I currently live in Argentina were all bikes are about 3x the price. A 2017 used AT can cost as low as 20-25k. This will be "useful" when I come back since I can Import it for free after living abroad for some years.
I'll be moving to France for a few years and my daily commute will be around 50km (public transport is not a recommended option for this place). Plus the weekend/holiday trips.
My budget for a bike is around what an AT costs over there and I was thinking on saving money if first I had to buy a low cc for practise and then an AT (this is my dream bike).
I'm 181cm tall (5"11 1/2 inches) and weight 90kg (198pounds) with a 32" inseam.

Is this still a mad/insane idea? What I honestly wouldn't want is to spend a lot on a starter bike, then all the trouble of selling it (plus the obvious loss) and then buying an AT. What would you recommend?

Also, any recommendations in WHICH AT to get? Any years/models that are a safer purchase in terms of quality/least amount of failures?

thanks for your time!

·
Super Moderator
6,792 Posts
Welcome to the Forum Tuch!

No, not a crazy idea at all.

Decent starting point: '19 AT

Best value starting point: Maybe the '18 AT?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply DoubleThumper! Would you recommend the DCT models for those years?

·
Super Moderator
6,792 Posts
Thanks for the reply DoubleThumper! Would you recommend the DCT models for those years?
I personally can't say for models earlier than 2019. However, do a Forum search and you can find an abundance of feedback from members on earlier models. There seems to be an overwhelming appeal for the last four model years. I am really enjoying the 2019 DCT model. Others are still buying brand new 2018 models in 2020.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts