Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2022 AT AS ES (non-DCT)
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Crashed my new baby for the first time today. Taking the back way into dinosaur national monument in Northwest Colorado. No damage to me or the bike.

This was mostly a rocky road up until this point. The sand just prior to this was less deep and well packed. This was about 8 in deep and my skills and the stock tires were not enough to make it through.

The AT seems significantly more difficult to pick up than my KLR650. However, this sand was so deep I couldn't get any traction with my boots. When I did, the tires would just slide in the sand. Had to take the luggage off and still struggled for about a half hour.

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Plant Vehicle

·
Registered
2017 DCT, 2021 Adv Sport ES DCT
551 Posts
Deep sand has caused about 90% of my old AT's naps over the past three years... +1 on the Motowinch; it gives me the confidence to try stuff alone that I probably shouldn't. Good riding buddies are the best, though! If you do go with the Motowinch, the optional 3" disk that can be ordered with it is very useful in sand or soft ground. Keeps the foot from digging in to the ground vs. lifting the bike.

Stock tires suck on anything unpaved... better tires help, but sand is sand. Nothing fixes it, just learning to shift your weight back and stay on the gas harder than seems natural helps a lot. Let the front wander a bit, without over correcting. Almost all of my mishaps came from trying to "steer" in the sand, rather than just picking a line and trying to stay upright.

Plant Tire Sky Wheel Motorcycle

·
Registered
2020 Honda Africa Twin
30 Posts
"If you do go with the Motowinch, the optional 3" disk that can be ordered with it is very useful in sand or soft ground. Keeps the foot from digging in to the ground vs. lifting the bike."
Thanks for the tip on the puck when ordering the MotoWinch. I'm going to do just that if I go that route. I put in an inquiry with Dirt Napper on how far out stock is. MotoWinch is on vacation until July 11.

Been in similar situations (not sand, but mud or rocky hill) and have had to wait hours for nice passerby folks to help by simply standing on the tire while I lifted.

·
Registered
2021 Africa Twin Standard
16 Posts
Deep sand with stock tires? That is brave. My AT has the dunlop missions and sand can be pretty challenging depending on the situation. If it is on a straight road and I have momentum it is not too bad. The missions handle that without an issue. But curves + sand can be difficult even if the sand is not that deep.

I also recommend that you reduce traction control to the lowest setting or zero. Traction control kicks in a lot when riding in sand and I think it makes it more challenging.

But at the end of the day I would rather deal with sand than deep mud. At least with sand you don't get stuck. It can be a pain to pick up the bike but you will make it out without help. Getting stuck in mud is my biggest fear because I mostly ride solo.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Crashed my new baby for the first time today. Taking the back way into dinosaur national monument in Northwest Colorado. No damage to me or the bike.

This was mostly a rocky road up until this point. The sand just prior to this was less deep and well packed. This was about 8 in deep and my skills and the stock tires were not enough to make it through.

The AT seems significantly more difficult to pick up than my KLR650. However, this sand was so deep I couldn't get any traction with my boots. When I did, the tires would just slide in the sand. Had to take the luggage off and still struggled for about a half hour.

View attachment 72464
If you are trying to pick a napping AT you might want to have a Velcro cable tie to wrap around the twist grip and brake lever to prevent the front wheel turning while lifting. If the bike has a manual transmission, try to place it in first gear. If you have a DCT set the parking brake. Small points but with an AT lying down, a rider needs any advantage available. If riding alone often, the winch and disk suggested by others would be well worth the price.

·
Registered
2021 CRF1100 Africa Twin DCT
101 Posts
Lets just say the AT is one of the hardest motorcycles to pick up due to the fact it wants to be as flat as a pancake when laying on the ground, and it's not really the lightest (especially with crashbars installed). I guess having some kind of bags on the side it falls on makes it a little easier, but it also depends on what kind of bags you have. Hard cases may possibly damage the frame (but lift the bike up the most), so soft panniers with maybe little (light) stuff in it may be the way to go. Still, it will be a struggle, but the bike won't be able to hug the ground like a stingray.

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
4,162 Posts
99% of the time I’m by myself, I’m a large enough person to snatch the AT up about three times in a row. But that being said I still carry the motowinch with me. I would suggest it to everyone, she is a heavy bike and I’m sure most of us here can pick her up, but, there could easily be times where for reasons beyond your control you wouldn’t be able to to it . Loose ground, a good incline, trees in the way, the bike laying on your leg, etc. I just find it a great insurance to have…

Reactions: Little Bill Daggett

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
4,162 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Sorry but still laughing here. I've had a few 'Offs' in my life but never saw anybody who records them for posterity. Love it and the wife still can't understand what I am laughing at....hope you are OK...been there...

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Sorry but still laughing here. I've had a few 'Offs' in my life but never saw anybody who records them for posterity. Love it and the wife still can't understand what I am laughing at....hope you are OK...been there...
If you take a picture, the event lives in that photo and doesn't need to live in your head anymore.

·
Registered
2019 ATAS DCT
743 Posts
You never pose for a dirt nap?
Sky Mountain Luggage and bags Outdoor recreation Travel

Bicycle Tire Wheel Plant Bicycles--Equipment and supplies
uphill loose sand, first trip to CO.....Top pic, was sightseeing, front wheel hit a baby head while standing....lol Sky Mountain Luggage and bags Outdoor recreation Travel
Bicycle Tire Wheel Plant Bicycles--Equipment and supplies

·
Registered
565 Posts
You never pose for a dirt nap?
View attachment 72529
View attachment 72530 uphill loose sand, first trip to CO.....Top pic, was sightseeing, front wheel hit a baby head while standing....lol View attachment 72529 View attachment 72530
Baby head..love it...Back in the days when composite rations (compo) were issued to British soldiers in cans 'babies head' was the term used for steak and kidney pudding...it was some kind of meat stuff surrounded by a greasy pastry. I am still trying to get it off the roof of my mouth all these year later and even Rudolf Hess in Spandau could not dislodge it..

1 - 20 of 38 Posts