Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Crashed my new baby for the first time today. Taking the back way into dinosaur national monument in Northwest Colorado. No damage to me or the bike.

This was mostly a rocky road up until this point. The sand just prior to this was less deep and well packed. This was about 8 in deep and my skills and the stock tires were not enough to make it through.

The AT seems significantly more difficult to pick up than my KLR650. However, this sand was so deep I couldn't get any traction with my boots. When I did, the tires would just slide in the sand. Had to take the luggage off and still struggled for about a half hour.

View attachment 72464
That's the one (and very important) reason I prefer to make this type of trips at least with another friend if not with a small group. A friend's helping hand feels like an Angel from the heavens when you're in a deep doo doo in the middle of nowhere !!! Still, I am glad that bike and yourself are both ok with no discernible damage!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Been there! ... If you use to ride alone may consider a MotoWinch
Motowinch. Absolutely. It's a no brainer if you ride alone like I do. Get the bigger footprint add-on like someone else suggested.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well ladies and gents, how about if we encourage riders with less experience or with some sort of physical limitations to go in to the wilderness routes at least with another person or two instead of advising them NOT to go at all?

I agree we should all be aware of our limitations but if we don't try new things how we're going to learn and become experienced riders and expand our horizons etc...

I say to those beginner wilderness riders, announce your intentions, wishes and/or plans in advance of your trips to the wilderness in a few related forums or so and see who may be joining you or you may join to...

Every little trip adds to the experience of the routes, conditions, riding techniques etc. and use every chance you get to go out in order to experience and learn something new.

Hope to see you guys on a trail somewhere, sometime! Ride safe all!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Well ladies and gents, how about if we encourage riders with less experience or with some sort of physical limitations to go in to the wilderness routes at least with another person or two instead of advising them NOT to go at all?

I agree we should all be aware of our limitations but if we don't try new things how we're going to learn and become experienced riders and expand our horizons etc...

I say to those beginner wilderness riders, announce your intentions, wishes and/or plans in advance of your trips to the wilderness in a few related forums or so and see who may be joining you or you may join to...

Every little trip adds to the experience of the routes, conditions, riding techniques etc. and use every chance you get to go out in order to experience and learn something new.

Hope to see you guys on a trail somewhere, sometime! Ride safe all!
I'll go one step further and not recommend anyone go off road without a buddy. Finding yourself in a sticky situation off road is an easy thing to do, and having someone there to help you get out can be life saving.

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
I'll go one step further and not recommend anyone go off road without a buddy. Finding yourself in a sticky situation off road is an easy thing to do, and having someone there to help you get out can be life saving.
Man would love to always ride with a buddy but that would limit my rides to once or twice a year. Its just impossible to mesh schedules in my stage of life.

I carry self rescue gear, a Garmin InReach, first aid stuff, food and water, and give my wife an estimated route before I leave. That's the best I can do and keep up my hobby.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I simply prefer to ride by myself. With the technology at our disposal this should not limit where we go. There are a myriad actions you can take and tools you can use to mitigate the potential negative impact of most incidents. Knowing and accepting your limitations (I have turned around at water crossings more than once), making sure your bike, you, and your gear are in proper functioning condition, Garmin InReach, ACR PLB, first aid kit and the ability to properly use it, MotoWinch, etc... We can never remove the risk entirely, but this is no reason to not go out there and have fun.

·
Super Moderator
9,681 Posts
Assuming network connectivity, there should be an app that if you have not glanced at the phone screen after so many minutes or hours, the app will automatically text out to designated people that you have gone missing and here are the last known GPS coordinates.

(Not!)

" ... John has not checked into his social media account in the past 15 minutes. He must be, ... huh? ... Dead. ... Dang, and he was supposed to bring dinner home tonight. ... "

" ... Dad just texted us. He says his front tire came off the rim and he has almost no phone battery left. He says his new TPMS reads zero on the front, and that he is not dead. ... "

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
" ... Dad just texted us. He says his front tire came off the rim and he has almost no phone battery left. He says his new TPMS reads zero on the front, and that he is not dead. ... "
I have used the InReach to text my wife and say "I found a lovely spot to have lunch for the next 30 minutes or so. I am not dead." The downsides of such technology.

·
Registered
2017 DCT, 2021 Adv Sport ES DCT
551 Posts
Well, I like being able to ride by myself, with some reasonable probability of returning under my own power. I am very fortunate to have made some great riding buddies on this forum, but sometimes I just "Vant to be alone!"

Thus my decision to build a hack (sidecar) rig out of a new 2021 ATAS. Sort of like one sided training wheels, with a little ballast thrown it.

This fine gentleman did one on a 2016 DCT and posted a bunch of youtube videos on the Washington BDR, over on Adventure Rider. I spoke with him a few times about the process, and then commissioned mine to be built. I think it will go anywhere I want to go, but a lot less likely to fall over when my short little legs don't quite reach anything substantial.

Video below is going up boabys head hill on the BDR, so steeper than it looks in the vid. 😁

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the tip on the puck when ordering the MotoWinch. I'm going to do just that if I go that route. I put in an inquiry with Dirt Napper on how far out stock is. MotoWinch is on vacation until July 11.

when I saw the backorder times, I just built my own by cutting steel electrical conduit into 14 inch pieces (4), adding 3 slide on connectors, and jb welded a free standing 1000 lb ratchet strap to one of them. Found a little pipe mount about 4 inches diameter and dropped them in a bag. about 6 lbs and works a treat.

BTW, it also saved about 150 bucks and appears to be just as strong. well, it worked multiple times in my yard on soft grass, anyway 😉

·
Registered
20 Posts
Precious memory @cfr.
In early June this year, up in the Yukon near Dawson City it was my turn. But not deep dry sand. There was sandy muck in a construction zone. Unfortunately there was some damage to the bike and more so to me. The construction crew supervisor had said there were a few riders go down in that muck. I was able to get on and continue riding to Whitehorse but that was to be the end of my riding. Had to rent a uhaul to get
Cloud Wheel Car Tire Sky

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Vehicle Motorcycle Automotive tire

me and the bike back. Cast and crutches were put away just 2 weeks ago. Back riding but the leg and knee still hurt. Guess I will need a couple more months to fully recover. I think it was just not the road surface. I think there is a lot of operator error in my instance. New to the bike and new to the type of riding. I have been told a couple times that getting into the situation leading to my dumping, a quick blip of the throttle would likely have corrected the issue and probably prevented the downing.
Live and learn I guess. Might take a course on better handling of this type of bike once I heal up a little more.

·
Registered
2017 DCT, 2021 Adv Sport ES DCT
551 Posts
In early June this year, up in the Yukon near Dawson City it was my turn. But not deep dry sand. There was sandy muck in a construction zone. Unfortunately there was some damage to the bike and more so to me. The construction crew supervisor had said there were a few riders go down in that muck. I was able to get on and continue riding to Whitehorse but that was to be the end of my riding. Had to rent a uhaul to get View attachment 73447
View attachment 73446
View attachment 73448
me and the bike back. Cast and crutches were put away just 2 weeks ago. Back riding but the leg and knee still hurt. Guess I will need a couple more months to fully recover. I think it was just not the road surface. I think there is a lot of operator error in my instance. New to the bike and new to the type of riding. I have been told a couple times that getting into the situation leading to my dumping, a quick blip of the throttle would likely have corrected the issue and probably prevented the downing.
Live and learn I guess. Might take a course on better handling of this type of bike once I heal up a little more.
Sorry to hear about your injury and the trip getting cut short. That had to be disappointing.

Technique comes with a price... you just bought some.

Looks like you had decent tires for the adventure, but I suppose something a little more aggressive might have helped at that particular instant. Keeping weight lower helps, as well. I stopped carrying my spare fuel/water on my tail rack for that reason, after a few dumps in the sand.

Hope you recover soon and keep building the skill library!

Tire Wheel Sky Plant Plant community
Tire Sky Wheel Vehicle Ecoregion

Plant Tire Sky Wheel Motorcycle

21 - 38 of 38 Posts